Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: upgrading comps and would like your input.

lubetek is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

upgrading comps and would like your input.

Hey guys, I've decided to spend some money and upgrade my comps.
    I'm running some infinity kappas now (They were meant to just get me by for awhile.)

Anyway, I've been looking at Diamond Audio because I have tested them and love the sound. I'm actually looking at these: Diamond Audio HEX 6.5" S600S (Silk Dome Tweeters) I can get these for $279 a set.

Now my question is this: Can you guys recommend a better or just as good as speaker for that money or less?

I need a speaker that can handle a min. 100 watts RMS. (The Diamond Audio's handle 170wrms.)

I'll be hooking them up to an Orion 8004 (100wrms X4 @ 4ohms)
    I'm looking to buy two sets of comps for the front and rear.

I know all about having a good front stage and not worrying about the rear stage but I like rear fill.

If you would recommend a set of comps then please only rec comps that I can buy online right now with out waiting forever. Please do not rec. some obscure brand that will be hard for me to get my hands on.

I have around $560 I'm able to spend towards speakers You can see the rest of my gear is in my sig.

Like I said I really like the Diamond Audio's and have tested them along with some others. I'm just wondering if there is something else out there just as good but costs less. If I can spend less money and get great speakers I'll be much happier.

Thanks guys!

p.s. I should add that i'm aiming for sq over spl.
    Last edited by lubetek; 11-26-2006 at 01:07 PM.

Kenwood KDC-X889,
    Orion 8004, Directed 1500D, SoundSplinter RL-p 15" D2, CDT ES-620 and CDT UP224 upstage kit, BXT RAAMmat (TRUNK) Dynomat Extreme (DOORS & REAR DECK), Stinger 150 Amp Circuit Breaker, Stinger Fused Distribution block, Audiobahn 0 guage power and ground, Audiobahn 4 guage pwr/grnd (amps), 12 guage Rockford Fosgate speaker lines (sub), 15 guage Rockford Fosgate speaker lines (comps), Kicker Interconnects X3 and Optima Yellow Top.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: upgrading comps and would like your input.

hey guys after reading the forum a bit I found some of you pointing towards these:

SSCS 6 6.5"
    6.5" High performance 2-way Component System
    Kevlar Woofer 6.5" Injected Cone Tweeter 1" (25mm) Titanium
    2nd Order Linkwitz
    12db Outboard Crossover
    200Watts PEAK Power handling

Does anyone know where I can buy these? I think they might be a better choice over the DA HEX's

Kenwood KDC-X889,
    Orion 8004, Directed 1500D, SoundSplinter RL-p 15" D2, CDT ES-620 and CDT UP224 upstage kit, BXT RAAMmat (TRUNK) Dynomat Extreme (DOORS & REAR DECK), Stinger 150 Amp Circuit Breaker, Stinger Fused Distribution block, Audiobahn 0 guage power and ground, Audiobahn 4 guage pwr/grnd (amps), 12 guage Rockford Fosgate speaker lines (sub), 15 guage Rockford Fosgate speaker lines (comps), Kicker Interconnects X3 and Optima Yellow Top.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hmmm it seems everyone is sleeping this morning. Ok after further reading I stumbled onto the Boston Acoustics Pro60 would these be even better than the SSCS 6?

As it is I would be willing to do away with the rear stage all together for the right front stage.

can buy two sets of the DA HEX comps, or two sets of the SSCS 6 or maybe one set of the Pro60's. Hell I'm open to any sugestions really!

Kenwood KDC-X889,

kublkmax is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would say pass on the diamonds in less it is there old stuff. The Raindow Slc's would not be a bad choice. or a set of Cdt's would fit the budget

In Loving Memory of My Wife, Shannon 8/22/74-1/4/07

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've been down the CDT road and I'm looking for something else this time around.
    Rainbows seem to be hard to come by. Hardly any sites actually sell them. That I can find that is.

Kenwood KDC-X889,

Notwerk is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

6spdcoupe on here sells Rainbow and some other brands. PM him.

As for recommendations, what kind of sound are you looking for?

adam71 is offline P9 = Ultimate SQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I realize you like rear fill which is fine. But instead of buying 2 sets of components why not get some coaxes for the rear and the money you save back there you can put with your front component money and buy an even better set of comps up front.

Source Unit: Pioneer P9 combo
    Tweeters: CDT DRT-25 Silk
    Mids: CDT ES-5 (5.25")
    Midbass: CDT M6 (6.5")
    Subs: Pioneer TS-W12PRS
    Mid & Tweet amp: Pioneer PRS-X340
    Midbass Amp: Pioneer PRS-X720
    Sub Amp: Pioneer PRS-X720

Apoc is offline Buying 1st System

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm with adam

ray@ss is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

could look at some focals.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes I've decided that I want to just buy a great set of comps for my front stage. I'll leave the stock speakers in the rear for now and maybe upgrade them later. I'll unhook them though.

So yeah I'll spend the money on fronts. I only want to go with 6.5" comps and 2-ways.

as for sound well I'm all about SQ. I'd like something with solid mid-bass and clean highs. I like silk tweets but will take what ever comes with the comps. I really dislike harsh highs.

I listen to everything from classical to rap to metal. pretty much everything I can get my hands on. An example of what I've been listening to lately would be MUSE and the killers.

I'll tell you, it's been an all day task reading up on comps and I'm still undecided.

Even though I didn't want to look into CDT I saw that deal at woofers for $299 and I have to admit I'm thinking about picking them up.
    CDT Audio ES-610 $299.99 @ woofersetc.

Course I can spend more and get even better...oh the possiblities!! lol
    Last edited by lubetek; 11-27-2006 at 01:56 AM.

Kenwood KDC-X889,

ray@ss is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

dont just read, there are alot of punk kids that just talk **** on the net..
    go listen..
    I love focal, very clean undisturbed mid-range, accurate tweet great price.
    warm just a great speaker set.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've tested what I can but many I can not. No one carries brands like Focal, CDT, Dynaudio, Rainbow, ID etc. All these top end speakers I can't test and must rely on the input of people online. I've been hanging around this site for long enough to know that I can trust many people here. I look at whos posting before taking to heart what they are saying.

Kenwood KDC-X889,

crazy4ozs is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the CDT ESs.../thread

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazy4ozs View Post
    the CDT ESs.../thread

consider them bought. Thanks!

Kenwood KDC-X889,

crazy4ozs is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

nice choice...thats what i bought as well...and i deliberated for over a month...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast