Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Question about speakers and vocals?

ksauers is offline 21stCenturySchizoidMan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Question about speakers and vocals?

Where do the vocals actually come from? The tweeters or the woofers or both? If you found speakers that you liked the music from but the vocals seemed a little harsh,could you fix that by changing from titanium tweets to silk? Would that take the harshness out of the vocals?

Hintzyboy is offline Sparks mean its working!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Question about speakers and vocals?

most likely. if you here a bit of a ringing sound, then you should switch to silk tweets

Refs:
    CarAudio.com: SlickRick, CubanAffection, trevor87, BigBirney420, Apollyon, Dinty01, TeamPSI, QtrHorse (x2), 6spdcoupe, Siddle, Smokingachicken, MisterGrubbs, Fast1One, MiniVanMan(x2), Jntar, blackbonnie, tigerf117, kasimo420, blaze383, XaznKewLguyX, SRim23, RidnClean, Team H&K, djvi0lent, jeeper07, turboaudi
    DIYMA: snaimpally
    CA.com Feedback: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327860
    Ebay Feedback http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=hintzyboy79

blue is offline Since 1982

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ksauers View Post
    Where do the vocals actually come from? The tweeters or the woofers or both? If you found speakers that you liked the music from but the vocals seemed a little harsh,could you fix that by changing from titanium tweets to silk? Would that take the harshness out of the vocals?
    The average fundamental frequencies of the human voice range from about 125 hz to about 1.4 khz , with harmonics reaching past 5000 khz.

Try cutting frequencies at about 2.5 to 3 k and see if that helps remove some of the harshness. You can also try cutting at about 1k to 1.5 k and see if that helps as well. This will address issues with both the harmonics and also the fundamental, and by experimenting with cutting one area at a time , you can find out which is the most problematic culprit area. If this doesn't work , try adding a little warmth by boosting around 300 hz , it won't remove the harshness , but may mask it some ...... Good luck.

Clarion DRZ9255 - Arc Audio SE Series - Boston SPG-555 - Rainbow Profi Kicks and Phase Plugs- Hushmat - DAXX Pure Silver Wiring - Batcap Batteries

I just luuuuv Santa Claus !!

Notwerk is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Where is it harsh, "S" sounds? Sibilance can be tough to EQ out and usually comes from the tweeter. Silks and hard domes can both suffer from sibilance. If you're still listening around, I might look elsewhere. The advice above is good advice if you already have the speakers.

T3mpest is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

siblince is around 4k and 8k. I usually drop 8k a bit and if it still seems off I'll drop 4k a bit too, that usually clears it up.

blue is offline Since 1982

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T3mpest View Post
    siblince is around 4k and 8k. I usually drop 8k a bit and if it still seems off I'll drop 4k a bit too, that usually clears it up.
    I think he needs to first determine if it's sibiliance he's having issues with , or harshness like he stated originally. Harshness in vocals is different than sibiliance , and usually comes from one of the two places i've already stated.
    Either way , with this much info he should be able to figure it out

Clarion DRZ9255 - Arc Audio SE Series - Boston SPG-555 - Rainbow Profi Kicks and Phase Plugs- Hushmat - DAXX Pure Silver Wiring - Batcap Batteries

I just luuuuv Santa Claus !!

WhoSayWho? is offline Preston Caught a Predator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ok, I will demonstrate my ignorance but how do I go about doing this if I son't have an external processor? will a hu such as an 880 have this capability? yeah, I am looking for an excuse to spend more money.

kublkmax is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

you should be able to do it throught the eq on the 880 I am not sure of the bands on that unit but that would be one way. the other way would be to buy my Rockford 360.2 which has 31 bands per side. ( shameless plug)

In Loving Memory of My Wife, Shannon 8/22/74-1/4/07

WhoSayWho? is offline Preston Caught a Predator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

lol, that's cool. I will check that out though - in the classifieds I presume.

Closed Thread