Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Blown speaker problem

BradyT88 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Blown speaker problem

I have a Jensen amp that is a 300.4, so it drives 75 RMS per channel at 4 ohms.
    well I had an audiobahn 3 way 6x9 hooked up to it. The speaker is rated at 225 RMS and at 4 ohms, it has a passive crossover also. well I bridged it on my amp so that it was recieving 150 watts RMS and it started smoking and blew. I didn't even have the amp turned up to drive the full power to the speaker. Well I just assumed that maybe they overrated the speaker. I had a Boss Audio TW-50 tweeter, also rated at 225 RMS watts but at 6 ohms. I bridged it and it just quit working. Could you please explain why this would happen? Any help would be well apreciated.

smd4life is offline NOTHING ABOUT MEADE

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Blown speaker problem

the power ratings on both drivers are overrated for marketing purposes

Quote Originally Posted by thevic24 View Post
    And with this.....I will use this as an excuse to drink another beer....
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________________________
    Ref's:memphissoul4u, scottiej(x3), bassaddictj, jeepinTN(x2), Blados,lincolnls(slc720052), ssbogger, stuckinok(x2), matrxx dude, BoostedPontiac, fintheman, dbornotdb, mr. tibbs, lakota, iceteebone, WantedIsHere(HypnoticCure), Cahm Rohn, Bring97, Brian Owens, snoopysnooper, sdsport92064, annarbor84, tv559, RetroAudioinc, FJF, 01 S 10, oddiofile, stupify

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's kind of what I figured, but I didn't think it would be quite that far off. I mean if a speakers rated for 225 watts RMS it shouldn't blow at 150 watts RMS. It's ridiculus. (Stupid marketing techniques)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah I took the speakers apart. The voice coils on the 6"X9" were fried. On the tweeter the voice coil was rubbing on the magnet and eventually broke the voice coil.

96GTIVR6 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Your amp is also not of the highest quality. By not having the amp turned up all the way do you mean to say that your gain was not turned up to the max? This is a common mistake, to think of a gain knob as a level adjustment for an amplifier. It is infact a way of matching the amplifiers input sensitivity to the output signal strength of your CD player. You could've been clipping your 6x9's and not even realized it (except for I'm sure what would've been horrible sound).
    Next time if you get some better speakers and do a little more research I'm sure you will have a more enjoyable experience.

Alpine CDA-9835
    Diamond Audio D6600.4
    Diamond Audio D61500.1
    Morel Elate 6SW's
    Morel Supremo's
    JL Audio 12W6V2
    Tsunami 10.9's and Kicker S-Series Power and Speaker Wire

96GTIVR6 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just read that you had Boss audio tweeters "rated" at 225 watts RMS. ROFL some kid at my high school actually did himself the favor of permanently shaming himself by bringing in some of those tweeters to my work and sugguesting they were of any quality at all.
    My Israeli made Morel Supremo tweeters for example are only rated at 220 watts RMS...

Alpine CDA-9835
    Diamond Audio D6600.4
    Diamond Audio D61500.1
    Morel Elate 6SW's
    Morel Supremo's
    JL Audio 12W6V2
    Tsunami 10.9's and Kicker S-Series Power and Speaker Wire

Closed Thread