Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Component to 3-way system??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Component to 3-way system??

I have a 6.5" component set, and wondering is it as simple as adding a 3rd speaker, and appropriate cross-over points, and power to go 3way?

If yes, what parameters would you look for to try and match a 3rd speaker to the component set?

Will it most likely sound horrible if the 3-way setup is not purchased from the start?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Component to 3-way system??

You'll need an active crossover and a good set of mid bass/range speakers if you're looking to integarate the component set you have. A lot of people have had good results by going diy with the whole setup rather than just adding a pair of mid bass speakers on a component set. Either way you'll need to ditch the passive crossovers that came with your component set and pick up an active 3/4 way crossover if your deck doesn't have one built in.

alteraudiousa is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

there are a few ways to do it, if you have a 3 way crossover in your HU you can do it by using the high crossover and crossing it over at like 315hz and using that for mids and highs and still use the passive crossover as the midrange driver will play from the bottom crossover point up to the point where the passive crosses over and the tweet will play from that point and up, the mid RCA doing maybe between 80hz and 250hz for the midbass driver, and the sub doing 80hz and down. This way would require two amps or 4 ch of amplification. Or you can get a 3way crossover.

Authorized CDT dealer

Newest Setup
    Eclipse 8454
    Coustic XM6
    Concept CC-D1200
    (2) Monitor 1 MK2.70
    CDT M6 with drt-26 braxial mounted
    Hybrid Audio Legatia L3
    Stereo Integrity Mag 15

CanadianDream is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hey thanks for the replies guys. Yea I have a directed 1100d5, so really have a 2 way active crossover for the front stage. As there is no HU, only a car computer the output is full range. I will check into computer driver crossovers, maybe I will find something.

As kinda suggested, I figured I would run the current component set off 2 channels (L/R) crossed over at ~ 300Hz HPF along with the passive crossover for the mid range and tweeter. The other midbass I would run out of the other 2 channels and cross over at ~300Hz LPF. I hope that is right. The only issue might be that by using a LPF on the mid bass it will play all notes below 300Hz. So would need a second passive crossover with a HPF setting of about 80Hz.

Okay, so other then buying new 3-way speakers. Is there any complication to adding a midbass to my setup? Just wondering if there are issues with compatibility between different speakers. Assume quality speakers are quality speakers, and will all work together but just checking!

On that note, I need to go search for good sub $100 6.5" or 8" midbass speakers. Already leaning towards AA's 8".

alteraudiousa is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tang Band 6.5s would be good. Or the Dayton 6.5 Reference series woofers. You shouldn't have a problem if you take time to work out the crossover frequency. I wouldn't do a 300hz and 300hz crossover point, i would try the midbass at 200@12db slope and the midrange at 315hz@18db slope if possible. I have mine around there and its nice cause they blend very nicely together, very seamless.

Authorized CDT dealer

Newest Setup
    Eclipse 8454
    Coustic XM6
    Concept CC-D1200
    (2) Monitor 1 MK2.70
    CDT M6 with drt-26 braxial mounted
    Hybrid Audio Legatia L3
    Stereo Integrity Mag 15

CanadianDream is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yea, as far as I can tell they are static 12db crossovers. So one other quick question. The frequency range for the non-sub channels is 50Hz to 500Hz. The question is if I LPF the midbass from say 200Hz down, is the range of the crossover frequency control a true indication of the output. In other words is the signal HPF at 50Hz no matter what? Would it be harmful for a decent midbass to try to reproduce signals 50Hz and possibly below?

Closed Thread