Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Alpine multi-layer pulp cone

Grmanalishi is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Alpine multi-layer pulp cone

Alpine Type R SPR-17LS 6.5" component has a multi-layer pulp cone. I don't have stores around here where you can go and listen to speakers/amps. Can this type of cone be a good thing? The much higher end component (Alpine SPX-177R 6.5" for +$250) uses a wood fiber cone. These are the only speakers I've run across recently that use paper/pulp. I thought paper cones went out a long time ago? Or is this a different type of pulp/cone technology? Both have excellent reviews.

Crown_amps is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Alpine multi-layer pulp cone

Quote Originally Posted by Grmanalishi View Post
    Alpine Type R SPR-17LS 6.5" component has a multi-layer pulp cone. I don't have stores around here where you can go and listen to speakers/amps. Can this type of cone be a good thing? The much higher end component (Alpine SPX-177R 6.5" for +$250) uses a wood fiber cone. These are the only speakers I've run across recently that use paper/pulp. I thought paper cones went out a long time ago? Or is this a different type of pulp/cone technology? Both have excellent reviews.
    a lot of places use plup cones for a hybrid of pulp and kevlar like my alpine type s 12 or my type e 12's mang

the type x uses a hemp fiber cone iirc

paper has not seen its day pass tho a lot of subs either go paper kevlar or poly or metals or carbon fiber etc and so on

go for something better for your soundstage tho man try out hertz audio they are much higher end than alpine and wang a million times harder for comps and i know i heard both the type r's [ in depth] and a afternoon of kicking it with the hertz flag ship line the mille's

hertz> alpine any day

Grmanalishi is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They're Italian made? They don't have any distributors in the USA. I went to their website. Woofersetc. doesn't carry them, either.

T3mpest is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Dont' worry if you can't get hertz it's not a big deal. He's comparing a flagship line vs alpines lower end model. try the f1 line for a fair comparision. Alpine does make nice speakers. Paper cones have advantages over other types, it really just depends on the situation. paper is well known for sonic neutrality. Type R's are decents comps, but honestly, if you can,l I'd save up and get the type X's. Unless you really cannot afford to spend that much, even if you save, it's definetly a good buy. Rebadged vifas, really nice set, good crossovers too!

Closed Thread