Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Adding mid bass upfront

WaTTsLOk187 is offline Tu Papi

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Adding mid bass upfront

Well here is my my question. I have a set of Infinity kappa components upfront and as some of you may know they lack a little bit of midbass. They are the newer kappas that are 2ohm and I am running them with two channels of my Memphis 300-4. I built some kickpanels for them and have the openenings in the door available. I am thinking of adding some Dayton reference 8 inchers in the doors but I amnot sure if they will fit. I can try and make them fit. Another option is to add the AA poly mids those are 6.5's and I would have NO problem getting those in. I am not trying to go active as I don't have an active crossover but if I add either the dayton refs or the poly mids would I need a crossover of some sort? I will be powering these with the other 2 channels of my Memphis 300-4.

Pics of my kicks below.

camry_tuner is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Adding mid bass upfront

you could just get the poly mids and cross them below 150hz or so, on the amp.

2008 Honda Fit Sport
    Work in Progress

Refs: flakko, cpierce, mega1268, cd6551, 2kchevy, backtofront001, stuckinok, xdavieexx, keefy248, james bang, and more

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Those are some pretty nice looking kicks. Looks like you took your time and did a good job of fabricating them.

Anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by WaTTsLOk187 View Post
    I am not trying to go active as I don't have an active crossover but if I add either the dayton refs or the poly mids would I need a crossover of some sort?
    Yes. You would need to have the ability to both highpass and lowpass the additional midbass (this is referred to as a bandpass crossover). There are multiple ways of acheiving this....the easiest of which is to purchase an external active crossover.

You might be able to use a combination of the headunit's crossover and the amplifier's crossover...but this would be less optimal. For example, if the headunit has a built-in crossover and you have it set to 80hz, you could then use the amplifier's crossover to lowpass the midbass around 350hz or so (just pulling random frequencies out of the air). The disadvantage here is that you would have to run both the Infinities and the additional midbass at the same highpass frequency.

What headunit do you have? More specifically, what type of crossover abilities does it have?

MBrock4u is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes that is a good question. I used to run kappa's up front. I know how you feel with the lack of midbass. Been a while since I had those but one thing about it they were loud and they were clean doing it. I didn't replace them because of lack of mid bass, the tweeters were just to harsh for me. I thought it was a good speaker. I did see some 6' mids around here. That might be a option for you to look at. Good luck!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My head unit is an Alpine 7995 and has built in crossovers and time alingment. I'm sure you guys are familiar with this deck. Was pretty popular a few years ago. Some of you guys might even know how to work better than I.
    Last edited by WaTTsLOk187; 11-09-2006 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Mispelling

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Then it appears you'll have to do it using the 2nd method I mentioned....a combination of the HU's xover and the amplifier Xover since that HU doesn't have the ability to bandpass and I don't believe you can set the highpass for the front outputs different than the rear output.

Far from optimal...but it would technically work.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Would the Pioneer p880 have the ability to do this? Or are there any AFFORDABLE active crossovers that can do this?

Do you also reccomemnd the Poly mids over the Dayton refs to accomplish what I am trying to do?

iceteebone is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

are your kick panels sealed? ever try porting them? maybe some polyfill if the are sealed? might as well try making your current speakers better before buying new ones

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Speaking of that I am actually gonna spray the inside with rubber undercoating and am going to try some polyfill. I like the way they sound they sound great to ME. I like the "Harsh" to some people crispness of the metal tweeter. BUT I still would like the added midbass up front.

mlstrass is online now Shaggy DOA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

I'm running 2 AA poly mids in each door. IB but VERY deadened and sealed up. The POUND!!!! I bandpass them 80-2500.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What tweeter are you running?

Reason I ask is I might be able to go active if it will give me the result I want. I have TWO Memphis 300-4's to play with. Was thinking a poly mid in each door and a poly mid in my kicks. My kicks are only a few inches away from the door speaker opening so i don't think imaging would be a problem. I need them to keep up with Two FI q 15's powered by a Memphis mojo.

BTW I ordered some poly mids last night

JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

As long as you're going 3-way, why not go with a dedicated midrange?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I really need to hear a good 3 way set up. I have never heard one. How is output? I know it would sound better but would it be just as loud as having 2 midbass speakers?

1996 DGGM Impala SS
    Cali-SS & ISSCA #1680
    Refs: I8APONY19, Jonahdude, theCybe, swangandbang, eatank, 99StangGt, danteBirosel, iceteebone, 97JeepTJ, bk12321, mattmcss, Slammed, TeamPSI, nismos14, LBC99, Megalomaniac, IgnoreMe
    SOLD TO: foreman

JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Output for a three-way setup can be more, because you can go with larger midbass drivers that have lower lowpass points...

ramos is offline Still learning

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

More drivers playing the same frequencies = a buttload more tuning

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast