Closed Thread

Reload Thread: MBQuart-Connect wires to screw terminals?

tracyrick is offline Limited035

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

MBQuart-Connect wires to screw terminals?

My MB Quart QSC216 speakers (woofers) appear to have two different ways to connect. One is obviously for a spade terminal. The other has a screw and a little square plate sandwich.

Is it clean to wrap the speaker wire around this screw and between the plates and just screw them down? Or is this ghetto?

Also, the tweeter wires come with tiny spade connectors that are open ended on the opposite side, apparently for placing the speaker wire into it. Can I just compress this terminal onto the wire, or should I also solder it?

MB Quart is pissing me off. They include some diagrams and templates, but almost no installation tips on wire and terminal types to use, etc... This vs. JL Audio who includes a ton of detail in its manual that answers 99% of my questions for my amps/sub. Is it just me that has noticed this?

Thanks for any tips!

Mugen is offline Superhero.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: MBQuart-Connect wires to screw terminals?

I also noticed my MB Quarts came with somewhat lacking instructions, but they're excellent speakers. I mean, it's probably common sense for most of you, but I didn't actually know which terminal on mine was positive and which was negative, it was just a big one and a little one. I don't remember which one we and my dad put them too though, I hope it's right (they sound fine, so whatever >_>).

Big Dee is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Usually the small terminal is positive and the big terminal is negative.

Get some pics up.

"MB Quart easy speaker connections. Connection types include solder, screw-down, spade or bare wire. "

That's from sonicelectronix descriptions. Looks like you can use whichever one you want. Peronally I always wrap bare wire around the flat terminal with the hole in the middle. I wrap it through the hole and around the terminal a couple times, then I solder the whole thing so there's no bare wire left exposed.

killahsharksjc is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dee View Post
    Usually the small terminal is positive and the big terminal is negative.

Get some pics up.

"MB Quart easy speaker connections. Connection types include solder, screw-down, spade or bare wire. "

That's from sonicelectronix descriptions. Looks like you can use whichever one you want. Peronally I always wrap bare wire around the flat terminal with the hole in the middle. I wrap it through the hole and around the terminal a couple times, then I solder the whole thing so there's no bare wire left exposed.

I would also like to know this infomation because I remember hooking my positive to the bigger one on my DSE 's and its been like that for about 2 mounths now. Could that cause a lack in midbass and/or is that bad for my speakers. They sound fine, i was thinking they were lacking due to deadening my doors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ttt

Mugen is offline Superhero.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by killahsharksjc View Post
    I would also like to know this infomation because I remember hooking my positive to the bigger one on my DSE 's and its been like that for about 2 mounths now. Could that cause a lack in midbass and/or is that bad for my speakers. They sound fine, i was thinking they were lacking due to deadening my doors.
    Hmm, I too hooked up the big one to positive, but I don't think it matters, so long as they're all the same. AFAIK, it only changes the phase of the speakers, so if they're all the same, they won't be out of phase with each other. As far as damaging the speakers, nah, I doubt it, mine have been like that for quite some time and they sound fine.

DetroitBass is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by killahsharksjc View Post
    It doesn't make a difference. The ones you have hooked up wrongwill just be out of phase. If you have them all hooked up like this, then no big deal. If you only have half you speakers hooked up out of phase you may notice some time alignment issues, but nothing that will damage the speaker. All that happens is when your speaker is normally moving out, it moves in instead.

SonnyD is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would imagine your midbass would be down wired out of phase. It may not be completely obvious at times, but I've heard speakers that sounded quite a bit different when out of phase.
    Regards Sonny

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So can we confirm that the smaller one is the positive so i know whether or not to rip my doors apart again.

SonnyD is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's been too many years since I've had Quarts, but I'm almost positive that the smallest terminal is +............but don't take it as gospel.
    Regards Sonny

Closed Thread