Closed Thread

Reload Thread: MB Quart QSC216 - Crossover setting?

tracyrick is offline Limited035

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

MB Quart QSC216 - Crossover setting?

Just got these - yahoo! Assuming I can make them fit with the IA adapter rings coming, what's the most common crossover setting to use? Sounds like harshness with the tweeters is a common problem so I want to avoid that first. Car in an Impreza with tweeters hopefully mounted in the stock position on the door panel.

badstang123 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: MB Quart QSC216 - Crossover setting?

Are you talking about the HPF crossover or the MB Quart crossover that comes with the speakers? For the HPF 80hz is a good place to start. The settings on the MB Quart speaker crossover will be completely install dependent. After you get them in just play with them until they sound best.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Okay, I checked my crossovers and there is nothing to adjust. I thought I had read something where you can adjust these crossovers.

Crossover 101: need help.

My first component level speakers (I had only coaxials before). I'm trying to figure out how to set these crossovers up. The MB Quart website is worthless for this. I'd like to know how you guys do it...

So if I have an Alpine HU that has an active crossover in it, what is the point of these crossovers that come with the speakers?

I know the purpose of a crossover is to send only highs to the tweeter and lows to the woofer.

Are the crossovers that come with specific speakers automatically set for those speakers? What if the treble is too harsh though. Can I then use the crossover feature in my HU to cut out more high frequencies?

Should I use the speaker crossovers and NOT use my HU crossover? Or the opposite, should I ditch the speaker crossovers and just use my HU?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Set the crossover on the head unit to 80hz. If running the speakers off an amp turn the crossover off when using the head unit crossover. The head unit will not cut high frequencies. You should, however, have a tweeter attenuation setting. This will be inside the MB Quart crossover. If you take the plastic off inside will be a bunch of little prongs next to each other and an adjustable little tab you can move off of one set and onto another. They will say something like 0db, -3db, -6db etc. This is how you can adjust the loudness of the tweeter. Other than that you have to use the equalizer on the headunit to limit high frequencies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

...and the crossover on the headunit will cut all frequencies under 80hz. The crossover from MB Quart is merely seperating frequencies for the mid and tweeter.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks! This makes sense. Keep everything below 80hz from going to the speakers, will send to my sub instead.
    I will look for this adjustable tab, I couldn't see it before and MB Quart doesn't seem to include the fact anywhere.
    Knowing this tab adjusts the volume of the tweeter and I can still use my active crossover to cut actual frequencies is very helpful.

Closed Thread