Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Big time component problem(s)

bholtmeier is offline Holtskill

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Big time component problem(s)

Today I received my kicker kx450.2 and hooked it up to my new polk momo mmc6500 set. Once we turned it on, problems started. Gains were set properly. Amp x'over at 90hz. bass boost at 0db.

When I started playing music, I noticed that it was very quiet. I turned up the volume on the HU up to halfway and the amp would go into protect. Turned the gains way down and we still got the amp to go into protect, just at a higher volume.

Another thing that bothered me was the fact that the right channel hardley had any output whatsoever. The left channel had decent output, but it was hissing a little bit and it didnt sound clean at all.

Could my problem be a wire grounding out on the right channel, causing the left to sound distorted? I cant think of any other reason for the amp to cut out unless there was a wire grounding out.

Also note that both amps, the sub amp and the front amp are grounded at the same place. Could that be an issue?

I know thats alot of information, but all and any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Refs:
    Patfitz9,Farkel,PowerNAudio,Qtrhorse,theCybe,Kicke R_TauruS,SWEET06CAMRY, mike dressure,vernisog, Racerx250, iceteebone

Camaro Box build tutorial

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217344

Louisiana_CRX is offline dem shoes......

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Re: Big time component problem(s)

Sounds like a bad amp Your grounding shouldn't be the problem...two test you can try is 1) reverse the rca inputs...see if sound starts on other side....if so a bad rca....2) reverse speaker wires...if sound on the other side ...may be a pinched spkr wire... Hope this helps

Current 2010 Louisiana USACi State Records :

Trunk 0-1000.................. 151.3
    StreetBeat 2................... 145.6
    Stock 1801-up.................153.8
    SuperStock 1801-up..........154.2
    Top three in 11 out of 26 power classes and Louisiana USACi Points Leader at 465

Prowler573 is offline R.I.P. Gossamer!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm going to second Louisiana_CRX's diagnosis.

If not a bad amp then possibly you have a speaker wire grounding out somewhere but if you've checked that possibility already I'll go back with my seconding of LA_CRX's notion...

Refs: [CA.com] [eBay.com]

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We already tried switching both the rca inputs and the speaker inputs, same results, just that the balance was messed up.
    No matter what that lright side sounds extremly quiet, while the left side sounds louder but very dirty sounding and a lot of hissing/craclking/distoring......nothing good at all. I'm very dissapointed

..Bad amp.......wtf.......also note that on the hifonics amp i have to turn gains up like 7/8 of the way up to get any output of it whatsoever..and on my previous sub amp, my hifonics bx1000d, i had the gains set with a dmm less than half way and i was happy..i dont understand why you would have to turn he gains up so high to get output..and if i set it lower i get like no output out of it, i still haven't figured that out. And it seems you have to crank the gains on this kicker to get anything out of it, yet this time it turns off.

It just doesnt seem right that an amp would turn off when you turn the volume up....even at low gain. I did get this amp refurbed from hifisoundconnection on ebay, turns on fine and everything but i hope the refurb didnt cause it to be a bad amp. But today ill try runnin str8 wires back to my amp from the xover and see if anything happens. I'll be pissed **** if i find out i have a bad amp.
    Last edited by bholtmeier; 09-20-2006 at 08:56 AM.

Refs:
    Patfitz9,Farkel,PowerNAudio,Qtrhorse,theCybe,Kicke R_TauruS,SWEET06CAMRY, mike dressure,vernisog, Racerx250, iceteebone

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

TOday we went out side and traded crossovers, and we found that it played perfectly, amp didnt go into protect at all even at high volumes. So then we ran the other crossover again, same settings all wires securely fastened and the same thing happened, sounded horrible and amp going into protect. Will polk send me the crossover by itself? or would an electrician be able to repair it?

before we even hooked the amp up a friend shut the door decently hard and the crossover wasn't mounted to the door properly so the parts could have gotten thrown around, but i dont know how tough they make the components inside....we know the problem..but can we fix it.?

Refs:

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This *****. I just called Polk and they saw a crossover is going to run me 40 more bucks. I won't have the money till friday so now i have to waitl like a week and a half to just get to where i was supposed to be when i ordered these speakers. i cannot believe my crossover went bad of all things...

Refs:

Closed Thread