Closed Thread

Reload Thread: type r components

hatemonger is offline funded*by*soros

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

type r components

got 6 1/2 alpine type r components hooked to an xtant a4004. 4 x 100 rms, 2 x 200 bridged (i think). got them bridged a 2 ohms. with the crossovers, do i still need to set the high pass filter on the amp? or should i set it to through. when i set the amp to the through setting it seems like lower bass is going to the doors speakers on both sides, does this mean the crossovers aren't working? or is the amp still required to do some of the filtering?

MBrock4u is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: type r components

I take it you are talking about your front stage. Ok, I had to play with that alot. I have my amp set on through if you want to call it that and played with the hpf setttings on my head unit. I used to run kappa's for front stage and had to high pass them at 150 hz. When I upgraded to Polk momo's , they sound so good that they are on through woth both the amp and head unit. If you have a head unit that you can adjust your filters, thats were I would go with it and see what sounds best.

luvinthebass is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's all about what sounds best to YOU.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

both ways sound good. i would say through sounds better at lower volumes, but when i need some boom they seem to distort. setting the high pass allows much louder volumes wether it's on the amp or the deck. i just thought the crossovers were supposed stop the lower frequencies from bottoming out the 6 1/2 type r's. had the infinity components before and they seemed better on the same amp. course, i had cheapo subs. they didn't have to keep up with type r 12's. i matched the type r components and subs together thinking it would make a good match. very satisified for now with the 12's, not so much with the components. maybe my install?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i'll make it shorter. i can't seem to bridge the gap between my subs and components at higher volumes without the 6 1/2's bottoming out. raising the freq. on the subs sounds crappy. i can get loud with the components but there is too big of a space between the 2 if i filter higher.

jflash is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i have them in the front and rear doors. i set the front hp to 80 and the rears to 50 and turned the gain down slightly on the rears. it helps with the gap issue. i ran just the fronts for a short time and the "gap" drove me crazy.

also there is only a crossover set point between the mid and tweeter. so if your amp is on full you could send ultra low frequencies to them.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yeah, that gap *****. i have no rears. i thinking about customizing some rears to mount on the rear corners next to the ceiling. maybe a pair of 6 1/2 or 6 x 9 just ran off the deck. maybe experiment with the amplifier a little. the system sounds good for hip hop, but it's just a little under par for rock,metal,blues,etc. where i really tell though is with movies. i'll try the rear fill with an add on and see what i get. thank you.

heyman421 is offline Veteran Camel Master

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

type-r components don't really enjoy low freq's.

even in sealed doorpods, mine would sound mechanical under 60-70hz at decent volume.

not a buzz, just like the motor was stressing big time, and they didn't sound musical at all.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yeah, they're sufficient, just not anything special. i'll upgrade sometime in the spring probably. head unit will come first though.

Closed Thread