Closed Thread

Reload Thread: DLS Iridium 6.3: Is midbass driver the same as the 6.2

CBRworm is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

DLS Iridium 6.3: Is midbass driver the same as the 6.2

Does anyone know?

I am currently running the 6.3 set active. I think I should be able to set it up as a 2 way with good results.

The DLS UR1 tweeter is fairly flexible as far as crossover points. It seems to like about 3.6K highpass with a 12db slope. It sounds good down to about 2.2 before I notice degradation. It is lacking in the highest range. I don't know what to do about that yet. I have tried a couple other tweeters that have more high end extension, but they don't sound right with the DLS mid. With the DLS mid and tweet, you can't tell which sounds are coming from what driver - they match perfectly. I like the Vifa XT25 tweeter, but it is too big. I like the high frequency response of the Alpine Type X tweeters, but I don't like them below 10K. I thought about using them as a supertweeter crossed at 10 or 12K - but that seems silly. I just need to find the single perfect driver that will fit.

Since the DLS tweeter can go fairly low - I should be able to bring the 6.5 up to 3K and have a seemless transition - but I can't

The UR3 mid sounds great from 315 to about 5K it seems to roll off pretty quick after that - could be my install.

I really like the way the 3" dome sounds - it is very warm and smooth. Even if I set the crossover point at 3K - I can't get the 6.5 to sound as good.

The 6.5 sounds really good from 50hz to about 1k. Above that it still sounds great until I compare it to the mid, at which point it sounds thin.

On my spectrum analyzer I can get the response to be fairly flat with either 2-way or 3-way - but they don't sound the same. The best way to describe the sound as a 2 way setup is thin. It sounds great until I add the mid back in.

Which leads me to my question. From the DLS website it looks like the 6.5 driver is the same between the 6.3 and 6.2. Does anyone know if this is the case?

I assume that the fact that I like the way the mid sounds is a personal preference. If I could I would like to get away from having a 3 way front stage. My sub won't go high enough to meet the 3" mid - so the obvious solution must be to get a better 6.5 mid that will cover 80hz to 3K better than the DLS. And by better I mean warmer - like the 3" DLS mid.

for reference everything is time aligned correctly for 2 way or 3 way. I have one set of presets that I figured out mathmatically and one set of presets that the H701 auto TCR'd. The tweets face my head, the mids are in kicks and the 6.5's are in stock location with the doors sealed and dynamatted. The sub is in the trunk.

'06 G35 6MT Sedan - now bose free -- Alpine IVA-W200 w/ H701, C701, and TR7

DLS Iridium IR3 and IR1 and Adire Extremis 6.8 front stage
    Arc Audio 4150XXk for mids and tweets
    Arc Audio 4150XXK Bridged for all 4 midbass's
    Adire Extremis 6.8 back doors for added kick.
    JL12W6V2 in a 1cf sealed w/ PDX1.1000
    everythings deadened.

Refs: Bodegabay, 250+ (100%) on ebay with same username.

04 CBR1000RR - SOUND SYSTEM BY MICRON

alphakenny1 is offline LOTUS FTW!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: DLS Iridium 6.3: Is midbass driver the same as the 6.2

i believe that they are the same mid.

W200/H701
    Dyn MW160/Lotus RM110/Seas Neo Alum/Idmax
    Alpine PDX

References
    RoudyruffKK, mattmcss, BLD 25, 02corvette
    bjfish11 ,slain93gsr, DJGTSR, flakko, FoxPro5
    2.2l integra, rawdogj, guy022077, bumpn_gt
    lowlinc, rocky 59, alann, ECA, DIYMA

bay area people need some custom work done? pm me. here's some work that we've done:
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/151662/1
    http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...man52/Install/
    http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=76937

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: DLS Iridium 6.3: Is midbass driver the same as the 6.2

Closed Thread