Closed Thread

Reload Thread: how low should a crossover be set on a speaker?

phish368 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

how low should a crossover be set on a speaker?

When a manufacturer says a speaker can go down to lets say 59hz, does that mean that at 59hz the speaker will start reducing volume(db) and frequencies? (I hope I explained that correctly).

I am running JL Audio VR-650csi components in the front actively (i removed the external passive crossover that came with the components and im using my alpine H701 processor as an active crossover). This is how i have it set up currently.

Front 1 -- tweeters (JL Audio VR-650csi tweeters) - 4.5khz high-pass 18db slope
    Front 2 -- midrange (JL Audio VR-650csi mid-range speaker) - 4.5khz low-pass 6db slope to 71hz high-pass 12db slope
    Sub -- Subwoofer - 71hz low-pass 24db slope

Since JL Audio says the components can go down to 59hz i wasent sure if I should be setting the high-pass of my Front 2 midrange speakers lower than 71hz

GrnEydDvl is offline Registered User

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: how low should a crossover be set on a speaker?

71hz is fine. For most installs 80hz or so is a nice spot to stay near.

Going below it you won't gain much in reducing localization of the subs and most 2 way component installs have trouble playing loudly and without resonating like crazy down much past 80hz. Some can't even swing 80hz very well.

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do not depend on the manufacturer "rated" frequency response any. Your vehicle's acoustics. installation and setup will render the "rated" frequency response completely useless.

Set the crossover based on what works for your vehicle, installation and setup and not by what the manufacturer rates as the frequency response of the component set.

phish368 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

cool.. thank you guys.. I really appreciate it.. I'm gonna keep the x-over set at what i have and play around to see what i like the best

Alpine CDA-9887, JL Audio 300/4, JL Audio 250/1, JL Audio VR650-CSi, Boston Acoustic FX93, Dual eD 11Kv.2 Subs Enclosed Box

Closed Thread