Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Reload Thread: Scan Speak

  1. #1
    xtremekustomz's Avatar
    xtremekustomz is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Northwest Florida
    Posts
    750
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Scan Speak

    Anyone used any Scan Speak midrange? If so what model and how was the sound quality, imaging, and midbass production.







  2. #2
    FoxPro5's Avatar
    FoxPro5 is offline Causal wanderer



    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    3 octaves higher
    Posts
    5,449
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Scan Speak

    Did you mean to ask how is the midrange of Scan Speak midbass drivers?? When installed to their potential they might just be the 'best' out there. Never used them myself, but that seems to be the general feeling of the product line.



    TEAM Front Fill

    The Fox audiomobile now sounds more quality thanks to SDS power.

    The most expensive solution is the one that doesn't do the job correctly. ~ Me

  3. #3
    xtremekustomz's Avatar
    xtremekustomz is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Northwest Florida
    Posts
    750
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Scan Speak

    Quote Originally Posted by FoxPro5 View Post
    Did you mean to ask how is the midrange of Scan Speak midbass drivers?? When installed to their potential they might just be the 'best' out there. Never used them myself, but that seems to be the general feeling of the product line.
    Well I'm trying to decide what I am going to do in the new truck. I have a Dynaudio System 360 and l like the way they sound and all....but not everyone makes the best of each component. I just don't know if I want to do a 3 way setup or just a 2 way. It will all depend on how well the midrange/midbass will perform. I like the midbass that I get out of the Dynaudio so I thought about using it for the midbass and getting a scan speak midrange and maybe focal tweeter but it is all still up in the air right now. Just trying to get some input on what other people have had good luck mixing.




  4. #4
    alphakenny1's Avatar
    alphakenny1 is offline LOTUS FTW!



    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,017
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Scan Speak

    i briefly listened to a set of scan speak rev 4.5", about a 10 minute listen. my initial impressions were i was very impressed with the little guy. very smoothe and full sound. imaging seemed very good.

    i suggest doing a 3 way front stage. i bet foxpro can attest that w/ a 3 way front stage you'll hear music you've never heard before. the vocals/instruments are unreal on my lotus 4's. i'm sure the scan speak rev 4.5" is a very formable choice. when i was choosing my midrange i posted a WTB thread for either lotus 4 or a scan speak 4.5". someone first came to me w/ a lotus 4, so i went with that.



    W200/H701
    Dyn MW160/Lotus RM110/Seas Neo Alum/Idmax
    Alpine PDX

    References
    RoudyruffKK, mattmcss, BLD 25, 02corvette
    bjfish11 ,slain93gsr, DJGTSR, flakko, FoxPro5
    2.2l integra, rawdogj, guy022077, bumpn_gt
    lowlinc, rocky 59, alann, ECA, DIYMA

    bay area people need some custom work done? pm me. here's some work that we've done:
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/151662/1
    http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...man52/Install/
    http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=76937

  5. #5
    xtremekustomz's Avatar
    xtremekustomz is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Northwest Florida
    Posts
    750
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Scan Speak

    Quote Originally Posted by alphakenny1 View Post
    i briefly listened to a set of scan speak rev 4.5", about a 10 minute listen. my initial impressions were i was very impressed with the little guy. very smoothe and full sound. imaging seemed very good.

    i suggest doing a 3 way front stage. i bet foxpro can attest that w/ a 3 way front stage you'll hear music you've never heard before. the vocals/instruments are unreal on my lotus 4's. i'm sure the scan speak rev 4.5" is a very formable choice. when i was choosing my midrange i posted a WTB thread for either lotus 4 or a scan speak 4.5". someone first came to me w/ a lotus 4, so i went with that.
    I guess the only other thing is that I really don't like using a small midrange. I like for my music to be loud if I am riding with my windows down. I was maybe looking at the 5.5 or maybe even the 7. I just haven't had good luck with a small midrange.




  6. #6
    JimJ's Avatar
    JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue



    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Posts
    31,681
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Scan Speak

    Have you considered horns?




  7. #7
    xtremekustomz's Avatar
    xtremekustomz is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Northwest Florida
    Posts
    750
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Scan Speak

    Quote Originally Posted by JimJ View Post
    Have you considered horns?
    I've looked at the Image Dynamics horns but I would really like to hear some before I shelled out the money for something like that. I know they can produce an large amount of volume.




  8. #8
    FoxPro5's Avatar
    FoxPro5 is offline Causal wanderer



    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    3 octaves higher
    Posts
    5,449
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Scan Speak

    Is this going to be run actively? What do you have for processing? Do you want to spend hours and hours tuning and getting it to sound right. Intuitively, it seems 6 speakers up front is better than 4 speakers, but it doesn't always work that way.

    It's probably not worth just replacing the midrange on the Dyn set if you are using the passive xover network. Better off just changing the whole thing or work with the install and with what ever methods you have for tuning at your disposal.

    And yes FoxPro can testify to what the addition of a midrange speaker can do for your soundstage. But, he does have a love-hate relationship with the whole thing that he is currently seeking a 12 step program for



    TEAM Front Fill

    The Fox audiomobile now sounds more quality thanks to SDS power.

    The most expensive solution is the one that doesn't do the job correctly. ~ Me

  9. #9
    squeak9798's Avatar
    squeak9798 is offline Banned



    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,300
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Scan Speak

    Another thing to think about....I've heard that the Scan Speak drivers are not very adept for the automotive enviornment....

    Yes, Alpine uses them in their F#1 status speakers....but they also use a proprietary coating on the cones to help protect the speakers and make them more automotive-enviornment friendly.


    If you want output while retaining excellent sound quality....horns are a definite option.....




  10. #10
    xtremekustomz's Avatar
    xtremekustomz is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Northwest Florida
    Posts
    750
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Scan Speak

    Quote Originally Posted by FoxPro5 View Post
    Is this going to be run actively? What do you have for processing? Do you want to spend hours and hours tuning and getting it to sound right. Intuitively, it seems 6 speakers up front is better than 4 speakers, but it doesn't always work that way.

    It's probably not worth just replacing the midrange on the Dyn set if you are using the passive xover network. Better off just changing the whole thing or work with the install and with what ever methods you have for tuning at your disposal.

    And yes FoxPro can testify to what the addition of a midrange speaker can do for your soundstage. But, he does have a love-hate relationship with the whole thing that he is currently seeking a 12 step program for
    If I do a setup with different brand components I will be running an amp per set of speakers. One for tweeter, one for midrange, and one for midbass. I also have an audiocontrol DQS crossover. The main problem I have with the dynaudio is the slope of the crossover it comes with. I guess I should go ahead and buy my amps and control each component individually and see how that works. I know for sound quality most people like shallow slopes...but with the dyn set....the midrange will break up at high volumes.




  11. #11
    FoxPro5's Avatar
    FoxPro5 is offline Causal wanderer



    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    3 octaves higher
    Posts
    5,449
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Scan Speak

    Quote Originally Posted by xtremekustomz View Post
    I know for sound quality most people like shallow slopes...but with the dyn set....the midrange will break up at high volumes.
    Really no correlation between slope and SQ. Where did you hear that?

    Why will the midrange break up at high volume? What driver are you referring to?

    Yes, Dyn uses 6 db/oct slopes on their passive network, but thats what Dyn found to be the best for their drivers. You can't apply that to other speakers as a generality. I can tell you that in my system the slopes vary from 12 db/oct to 48 db/oct and I don't really care how loud it plays



    TEAM Front Fill

    The Fox audiomobile now sounds more quality thanks to SDS power.

    The most expensive solution is the one that doesn't do the job correctly. ~ Me

  12. #12
    xtremekustomz's Avatar
    xtremekustomz is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Northwest Florida
    Posts
    750
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Scan Speak

    Quote Originally Posted by squeak9798 View Post
    Another thing to think about....I've heard that the Scan Speak drivers are not very adept for the automotive enviornment....

    Yes, Alpine uses them in their F#1 status speakers....but they also use a proprietary coating on the cones to help protect the speakers and make them more automotive-enviornment friendly.


    If you want output while retaining excellent sound quality....horns are a definite option.....
    I never knew that alpine used the scan speak drivers in the F#1 stuff. I know they looked familiar. I wonder why the price difference is so much more than scan speak? Also....I am pretty sure that is what Cory Himel uses in his Prestige Van. One of the guys that helped him with the van told me that they were Kicker prototypes but they sure do look like scan speak




  13. #13
    alphakenny1's Avatar
    alphakenny1 is offline LOTUS FTW!



    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,017
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Scan Speak

    the difference in prices is duh, the brand name. F1 = expensive so thats the price markup.

    also squeak is somewhat right about scan speak drivers not suitable for automotive environment as scan speak drivers need to be sealed for best performance. so if you are considering IB, scan speak probably wouldn't be a good choice. but if you seal them they can be very good.

    also as far as processing goes if you want to go 3 way front stage, its pretty hard to beat the h701 or a p9 combo as you have absolute full control of each individual driver. there are other ways of doing so but the h701/p9 combo route is the easiest to tune.



    W200/H701
    Dyn MW160/Lotus RM110/Seas Neo Alum/Idmax
    Alpine PDX

    References
    RoudyruffKK, mattmcss, BLD 25, 02corvette
    bjfish11 ,slain93gsr, DJGTSR, flakko, FoxPro5
    2.2l integra, rawdogj, guy022077, bumpn_gt
    lowlinc, rocky 59, alann, ECA, DIYMA

    bay area people need some custom work done? pm me. here's some work that we've done:
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/151662/1
    http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...man52/Install/
    http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=76937

  14. #14
    xtremekustomz's Avatar
    xtremekustomz is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Northwest Florida
    Posts
    750
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Scan Speak

    Quote Originally Posted by FoxPro5 View Post
    Really no correlation between slope and SQ. Where did you hear that?

    Why will the midrange break up at high volume? What driver are you referring to?

    Yes, Dyn uses 6 db/oct slopes on their passive network, but thats what Dyn found to be the best for their drivers. You can't apply that to other speakers as a generality. I can tell you that in my system the slopes vary from 12 db/oct to 48 db/oct and I don't really care how loud it plays
    My midrange is the MD140 that comes with the system 360. And usually a speaker will blend better with a shallow slope rather than steep if you aren't running the set close together. And I do care how loud it gets because i like to ride with my windows down somtimes too and I need increased volume for the set to keep up.




  15. #15
    xtremekustomz's Avatar
    xtremekustomz is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Northwest Florida
    Posts
    750
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Scan Speak

    Well...thanks for the input. I think I am going to try a few new things in the truck and see how I like it with the dyn set. I never did really get it tuned like I wanted it but I've got some time this week to play around with it so I will see how it goes.




Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum