Closed Thread

Reload Thread: component rms question...

jeepintn is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

component rms question...

when a component set says, lets say "50 watts rms", does that mean it takes 50 w rms to the crossover or 50 w rms to both the 6.5 and the tweeter? if its to each, i was thinking, would it work, cuz my 4 channel runs stronger at 2 ohms, if i ran each channel like this... wire from the amp channel to crossover, then from crossover to tweeter, then bridge each channel with the 6.5, not to the crossover. it would be like bridging the tweeter and 6.5, but the tweeter would still have the crossover on it. does this make sense?

anyone around nashville who needs an install done pm me

REFERENCES:
    smd4life(x2), scottiej(x3), army killa(x2), mike yayo, showrides, livinlife, pimpedout97x, PILOT 04, krouchchocolate, bigoso, blados, iamamp3pimp, xxxruckaz, joelowrider, CLJ, pesteele, danm7890, CrEaTrE, seth350, saywhat?, pepsifiend69, xxxpower, jadon087, 9512ds, skitzafit, billabongcr, ddeitz, ryanm923, massiveaudiocw, karkrazee96, tuck05, aeon, dcole18, purposesoap, morgans432, path2spl, krisfnbz, hessdawg, haunther, el_chupo_,

JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: component rms question...

Before the crossover...

I wouldn't do what you're planning on doing.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JimJ View Post
    Before the crossover...

I wouldn't do what you're planning on doing.
    no no, im not planning on it... i am curious as to why it would/would not work, i thought of it earlier today, and what do u mean before the crossover?

REFERENCES:
    smd4life(x2), scottiej(x3), army killa(x2), mike yayo, showrides, livinlife, pimpedout97x, PILOT 04, krouchchocolate, bigoso, blados, iamamp3pimp, xxxruckaz, joelowrider, CLJ, pesteele, danm7890, CrEaTrE, seth350, saywhat?, pepsifiend69, xxxpower, jadon087, 9512ds, skitzafit, billabongcr, ddeitz, ryanm923, massiveaudiocw, karkrazee96, tuck05, aeon, dcole18, purposesoap, morgans432, path2spl, krisfnbz, hessdawg, haunther, el_chupo_,

helotaxi is offline Kilroy was Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A 50w rating for a comp set is 50w applied to the crossover. It is effectively 50w to each the tweet and the mid except right at the crossover freq.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Life's tough...it's even tougher when you're stupid.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by helotaxi View Post
    A 50w rating for a comp set is 50w applied to the crossover. It is effectively 50w to each the tweet and the mid except right at the crossover freq.
    but if the 50 watts were fed to the crossover, wouldnt the speakers get 25 each?

REFERENCES:

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jeepintn View Post
    but if the 50 watts were fed to the crossover, wouldnt the speakers get 25 each?
    No.

The crossover splits frequencies, not power.

It is possible for both the tweeter and the mid to receive the full power from the amplifier (assuming they are both the same impedance).

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squeak9798 View Post
    No.

The crossover splits frequencies, not power.

It is possible for both the tweeter and the mid to receive the full power from the amplifier (assuming they are both the same impedance).
    but i dont see how if the amp sees a 4 ohm load at the crossover, how BOTH speakers would each get the 50w if its only sending 50w to the crossover. regardless if the x-over is splitting the power internally or not, it seems to me that two speakers sharing 50w from the amp wouldnt leave each with 50

REFERENCES:

acold7dusta is offline y they stealin my bucket?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

because the crossover supplies say everything from 800hz down to say 80 hz with 50 rms. anything over 800 goes to the tweeter with 50 rms. frequency is split, not power, as squeek meantioned

01 Acura CL

Eclipse CD3200
    Rainbow SLC 265 Active
    Sundown: SAX-50.4D
    ..............SAE-1000D
    Diamond D6 10" d2 sub
    ...........-.80 cu. ft FG sealed

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jeepintn View Post
    but i dont see how if the amp sees a 4 ohm load at the crossover, how BOTH speakers would each get the 50w if its only sending 50w to the crossover. regardless if the x-over is splitting the power internally or not, it seems to me that two speakers sharing 50w from the amp wouldnt leave each with 50

In an extremely simplified version; They aren't really "sharing" the power. The woofer receives the frequencies from the crossover point down (ignoring the slope), the tweeter receives the frequencies from the crossover point and up (ignoring the slope). Thus if you play an 80hz tone, the amplifier is effectively only going to "see" the woofer and it alone would receive the amplifiers rated power at the woofer's impedance. Likewise, play a 7.5khz tone, and the amplifier is only going to effectively "see" the tweeter and it alone would receive the amplifiers rated power at the tweeter's impedance.

Closed Thread