Closed Thread

Reload Thread: installing boston s75's small problem!

MrSwiss is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

installing boston s75's small problem!

ok its not much of a problem but didnt expect this. i was placing this in the same place as the previous 4x6's in my 92 lesabre, which is in the front dash. i was hoping i would have enough room to maybe seal off a little area for some fiberglass, but looks like i dont even have that much room! the boston doesnt fit all the way down on the right side, im hitting some vent tubing.

now i have a couple choices with this installation

1 - throw some spacers between the speaker and the dash, allowing a tight fit.

2. build a small fiberglass enclosure that raises the speaker roughly 5/8's flush from the dash.

3. throw some expanding foam\egg carton foam\etc in the whole to seal it off and act like a sealed enclosure.

now b4 we reach a vote, keep in mind that i may only power these off the HU, and i plan on building doorpods for some AA6.5 mids(no tweets just mids).

any advice is appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails installing boston s75's small problem!-75cde408be60.jpg  

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: installing boston s75's small problem!

ok since no one gives a shyt about this porject im gonna explain what i did anyways

i bought 2 cans of spray expanding foam. i sprayed the wholes up, leaving a bowl shape for the speakers. when it drys im going to carve out the excess foam leaving it nice and clean(and completely oblivious to the naked eye). next im gonna need to build buildup around the opening aprox 5/8" high, then if i need to apply more foam for an airtight fit. then im going to remount them, and set my front dash back over them without any noticeable disturbance.

there is no way i would be able to fiberglass up in there. there is simply no room to work being so glass to the windshield. i fould this to be the cheapest/best solution. yah i know its pretty ghetto but its better then leaving them practically free air.

edit: alright they are installed and they sound great. i installed one and compared the other in its factory installation and there was a very obvious difference. i sealed it airtight via non hardening clay. just thought i would share.
    Last edited by MrSwiss; 09-10-2006 at 01:09 AM.

DARKHART is offline One Hitter Quitter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

If the vents that are running below it are plastic, you can take a heat gun and reshape it to give proper depth for the drivers, just don't melt it so much that is puts a hole in the vent.....

Just when they though it couldn't get any worse, in came the Lord of Kaos, the Darkhart has arisen from his century long slumber..
    NJack2AF
    .............Jameseypoo
    Randyrsx ..........Bagdntagd
    M3Transporter......Teggybwoy
    RJ Sclafani...........Zeuslicious
    Saltyreefguy........Qkassidyw
    Qtrhorse..............Nismos14
    Pistonsfan70........4nine
    SlainNothing.........Orangelss
    M3@Apex............Louisiana_CRX
    SW9152..............DukeNut

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

**** dude that sounds dangerous hehe. and yes they were plastic vents but there was good 2 inch gaps. the foam worked wonderfully.

DARKHART is offline One Hitter Quitter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MrSwiss View Post
    **** dude that sounds dangerous hehe.
    Yes, it can be, but if do right the results are great....it's a technique we've used in the install bays for years......

Just when they though it couldn't get any worse, in came the Lord of Kaos, the Darkhart has arisen from his century long slumber..
    NJack2AF
    .............Jameseypoo
    Randyrsx ..........Bagdntagd
    M3Transporter......Teggybwoy
    RJ Sclafani...........Zeuslicious
    Saltyreefguy........Qkassidyw
    Qtrhorse..............Nismos14
    Pistonsfan70........4nine
    SlainNothing.........Orangelss
    M3@Apex............Louisiana_CRX
    SW9152..............DukeNut

Closed Thread