Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: New interior setup: 2-way Components or 3-ways?

j3bus2k3 is offline Si vis pacem, para bellum

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

New interior setup: 2-way Components or 3-ways?

Ok, so I need some help/guidance on a new setup I'm thinking about pursuing.

Current Setup:MB Quart RCE216 6.5" Components, MB Quart Discus 6x9's. Once run off a JBL px300.4, but not currently, but a new one is not to far away. 2 12" (2004 series) Alpine Type-R's off a JBL Bpx1100.1 getting about 600W RMS each.

What I want to do: 2x 8" RL-i mounted on the back shelf run off the Bpx1100.1.

Question is, that involves getting rid of the 6x9's...which I dont mind. Should I sell the component set too and invest in a better set and not worry about a mid-bass driver? Or should I add a dayton 7" or 8" in the door? Or should I just say screw the MB Quart crossover and get an external one? Help...lol

AIM: SPL Performance1
    /////Alpine 9835
    Active Processing via Coustic XM7
    Dayton 7" Mid-woofer with Seas Neo Tweet
    JBL/Crown 1100 & Power 300.4
    12" TC3000 Based Custom in 2.25ft^3 at 32hz

Wallet say But I say

References:Moe Lester, PV Audio, sss18734, DJ-Torn, dleccord, jiggy2dmax, Negativezeroz, Bama350z, TeamPSI, dB Dom, Kenny Pollock, Flossinon24s, Patfitz9 (x2), AppleBonker, BassAddictJ, the727kid, skadude016, CaliKid, Thumper88, Djman37, TeamQuakeCelica, Cerob, Pimpedout97x, Troy_Audi0, got_focus?, Karleon, Jamaica2G, rtillare, dumple, JohnnyBusa, mattmcss, whitem1ke88, nineball

Towncar is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: New interior setup: 2-way Components or 3-ways?

I Say just get with a better componenet set, and bridge that 300.4 ( headroom is your friend). Since you like mbquart, why not get some premiums

Quote Originally Posted by Terranova View Post
    The gain is set around 750 right now. I need to get together with my buddy and plug his stethoscope in to set it to 1000.
    Quote Originally Posted by infamous_e46 View Post
    Start fcking one of the guys in the *** to make her jealous

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Actually I got the MB's on sale...Both sets there for $150. I couldnt pass it up and that was 2 years ago. 250W to a single component set? Seems like alittle overkill but I still dont know...

...anyone else?

/////Alpine 9835

Wallet say But I say

References:Moe Lester, PV Audio, sss18734, DJ-Torn, dleccord, jiggy2dmax, Negativezeroz, Bama350z, TeamPSI, dB Dom, Kenny Pollock, Flossinon24s, Patfitz9 (x2), AppleBonker, BassAddictJ, the727kid, skadude016, CaliKid, Thumper88, Djman37, TeamQuakeCelica, Cerob, Pimpedout97x, Troy_Audi0, got_focus?, Karleon, Jamaica2G, rtillare, dumple, JohnnyBusa, mattmcss, whitem1ke88, nineball

Towncar is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

overkill, no such thing. Headroom yes.. Ill be running 400 each side to my new comps when my amp gets here.

Quote Originally Posted by Terranova View Post
    The gain is set around 750 right now. I need to get together with my buddy and plug his stethoscope in to set it to 1000.
    Quote Originally Posted by infamous_e46 View Post
    Start fcking one of the guys in the *** to make her jealous

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Towncar View Post
    overkill, no such thing. Headroom yes.. Ill be running 400 each side to my new comps when my amp gets here.
    O Schnap...

Any other opinions/ideas/suggestions....

I'm hoping Jmac or Squeak see this...

/////Alpine 9835

Wallet say But I say

alphakenny1 is offline LOTUS FTW!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

what are your plans as far as processing goes?

W200/H701
    Dyn MW160/Lotus RM110/Seas Neo Alum/Idmax
    Alpine PDX

References
    RoudyruffKK, mattmcss, BLD 25, 02corvette
    bjfish11 ,slain93gsr, DJGTSR, flakko, FoxPro5
    2.2l integra, rawdogj, guy022077, bumpn_gt
    lowlinc, rocky 59, alann, ECA, DIYMA

bay area people need some custom work done? pm me. here's some work that we've done:
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/151662/1
    http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...man52/Install/
    http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=76937

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well in terms of an external crossover or something like an H701 deal? I would droll over getting teh w200+h701 but for right now it may have to stay budjet with the alpine 9811 and an external crossover like something from audiocontrol.

/////Alpine 9835

Wallet say But I say

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

okay well if you use an AC unit, then it looks like you are going active? 2 way upfront then?

W200/H701
    Alpine PDX

References

bay area people need some custom work done? pm me. here's some work that we've done:

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alphakenny1 View Post
    okay well if you use an AC unit, then it looks like you are going active? 2 way upfront then?
    I hear active and passive thrown around alot but is there a distinct reason as to why one is better over the other? If I ran active, would it be ok to use my existing MB Q speakers without their crossovers or should I piece together some speakers from PE? What about the Mid-bass region I'm going to lose from my 6x9's once the 8's are in the rear deck? Would the amped 6.5"s be able to play that low?

Thanks Kenny

/////Alpine 9835

Wallet say But I say

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

^^, http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showth...passive+active.

i should put this thread in my sig, lol.

W200/H701
    Alpine PDX

References

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok, so tweakability is the main selling point to me about running active. So to run a proper 3 way active setup, I'd need a 6 channel amp and for a 2 way, I'd need a 4 channel...that tweeter is going to take 100W RMS like a champ? So it looks like I should sell what I've got and upgrade? BTW, these will be going in kickpanels. I still have yet to hear an argument against a 3-way set other than the obvious extra money on an amp...any real benefit and would it be worth it?

/////Alpine 9835

Wallet say But I say

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j3bus2k3 View Post
    Ok, so tweakability is the main selling point to me about running active. So to run a proper 3 way active setup, I'd need a 6 channel amp and for a 2 way, I'd need a 4 channel...that tweeter is going to take 100W RMS like a champ? So it looks like I should sell what I've got and upgrade? BTW, these will be going in kickpanels. I still have yet to hear an argument against a 3-way set other than the obvious extra money on an amp...any real benefit and would it be worth it?
    not necessarily a 6 channel amp to run a 3 way front stage and not necessarily you need a 4 channel amp to run a 2 way front stage. to run active each speaker would need a channel so you do a combination of stuff. two 2 channels to run a 2 way front stage. or a 5 channel amp to run your front speakers and extra channel for the sub, etc...

also your tweet won't probably ever see 100w anyways. you don't need that much power for the tweeters to get going.

as far as upgrading, thats up to you . i'd recommend it though . also like i mentioned in my thread, there is a learning curve, but once you get past that you are good to go.

again going with a 2 way vs 3 way front stage. it all depends on how much time you want to put into it. i'm 2 months into rebuilding my install and i'm still not done, not even close lol. the advantages of a 3 way against a 2 way is 3 way will give the ability to deepen, heighten the sound stage a bit more with more flexbility of placing speakers. asking a 7" mid to play midbass and midrange is asking a lot (although there are plenty of 6.5-7" speakers out there that can play both midbass/midrange) so asking let's say a 7" speaker to play only 80-300hz and midrange to play 300-5000hz is actually putting a lot less stress on the speaker and the speakers will play more effortlessly with less stress. its a lot more to it but i'm too lazy to type, lol.

W200/H701
    Alpine PDX

References

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So I've been looking around at components and cant really narrow down companies. I've never heard anything bad about Rainbow so their my top choice so far, but I'd like to keep some $$ in my pocket, lol. What sets from Diamond, or Focal or generally, what are some good manufacturers to look at?

But honestly, since I get wholesale discounts at PartsExpress, it would be HELLA cheaper just to get dayton speakers. I know they're probably not on the same level as say Rainbow or Focal but wouldnt they still get the job done, and very well at that?

/////Alpine 9835

Wallet say But I say

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j3bus2k3 View Post
    So I've been looking around at components and cant really narrow down companies. I've never heard anything bad about Rainbow so their my top choice so far, but I'd like to keep some $$ in my pocket, lol. What sets from Diamond, or Focal or generally, what are some good manufacturers to look at?

But honestly, since I get wholesale discounts at PartsExpress, it would be HELLA cheaper just to get dayton speakers. I know they're probably not on the same level as say Rainbow or Focal but wouldnt they still get the job done, and very well at that?
    shoot hook me up to . dayton is highly regarded wthin the DIY world. i briefly heard the rs180 and for $33 speaker, it was pretty darn good. you can easily batch up a 3 way front stage on dayton stuff alone. dayton rs180, dayton rs52 and dayton rs28a. thats like what? $200 for a full 3 way front stage. i say go for it!

W200/H701
    Alpine PDX

References

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alphakenny1 View Post
    shoot hook me up to . dayton is highly regarded wthin the DIY world. i briefly heard the rs180 and for $33 speaker, it was pretty darn good. you can easily batch up a 3 way front stage on dayton stuff alone. dayton rs180, dayton rs52 and dayton rs28a. thats like what? $200 for a full 3 way front stage. i say go for it!
    Get at me on AIM for whatever you need man, lol, I can do my best but PE is a biotch about shipping to us FIRST and then we have to reship

See thats what I was thinking...cheap (for the money they cant be beat) and they get the job done very nicely. So I would just need the amp, external crossover and the speakers and I'm running active? Never thought I'd be doing that but cool

/////Alpine 9835

Wallet say But I say

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast