Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Focal Plyglass vs Diamond Hex

Glaucus is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Focal Plyglass vs Diamond Hex

Hey everyone!

Okay, I'm looking for a set of 2-way comps for the doors of my '97 Prelude (5th & last generation). I'm looking at the Focal Polyglass 160 v2 and the Diamond Audio Hex s600s (note they are both 6" speakers).

I've listened to the Focal's which I've heard many good things about, expecting to be blown away, but I just wasn't. I felt they were very tight, with clear but not bright highs and tight bass, but they were missing something. I think they were missing mid-bass, it just sounded anemic to me. I think those speakers REALLY need a sub, they just can't stand on their own.

As for the Hex, well, I listen to them tomorrow. However, the salesman who demoed the Focals pooped on the Diamonds. I guess I should expect that, so I thought I'd ask for a less biased opinion here (if that's at all possible).

My system is currently all stock, except for an Alpine 9815 deck and I'll be buying an amp to power the fronts, possibly the Alpine PDX 4.150. I have an old Bazooka sub I could use, or I just might run it without sub for now - which is why I want my fronts to be as full-range as possible and rely less on the sub.

Now, as for my musical tastes, well, I listen a lot to bands like U2, Thievery Corporation, Crystal Method and DJ mixes. Yep, lots of pounding bass, but I'm mostly interested in sound quality and mid-bass. I don't need my car to be heard from miles away, and my experience with loud subs usually coincides with my experiences of broken glass and stolen gear (my city is one of the worst in the country for that). And when I think of sound quality I think of non-fatiquing highs and tight, non-boomy bass with a good solid mid-range - which to me is where music gets it's soul.

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions.

- Mike

Intercooler is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Focal Plyglass vs Diamond Hex

I will be honest. I love my CDT's! I can listen to them up all day long and they sound just great. The only thing I wish I had a littlle more of is mid's but with a 5.25 in doors it is what I expected. I will soon be stepping it up a little with the new 6.5" M6 or other driver and then I don't think I could ask for better.

2001 Honda Civic EX Coupe
    HU- Eclipse CD-5000
    F&R Amp- MB Quart Qaa4250 1000 Watt 4-Channel
    F- CDT HD52 5.25" With 1" Silk Tweets and M-6 6.5" Mids In The Doors(Three Way)
    R- CDT M-6's
    Sub Amp- Hifonics BXi2006D Brutus 2000 Watt D Mono
    Subs- (2) FI-Q 12" in a 1.26 Cu^Ft./Per Side Unported Box
    Battery- Kinetic 1400
    House- Samsung 4665F/Def Tech Mythos 8's/Dayton 15" Sub Kit/Onkyo 605/Harmony 890
    Refs: B-06stxf150, S-tmcilroy, B-lastcall

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if there is a CDT dealer in my town (Winnipeg, Canada). In fact, my options are somewhat limited. Perhaps I'm wrong about CDT, I'll se if their website has a dealer directory.

However, I will be also auditioning some Boston Accoustics, hopefully tomorrow. Not sure on the models yet, but I've heard good things about those as well.

- Mike

NoLimit is offline Toy Yoda

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

have you looked into focal subs?

they have incredible SQ

2000 Toyota Camry SE
    Alpine 9857
    Infinity References

Protected by COMPUSTAR

Bought From: Audio Junkies, ~Magick_Man~, MetalMaxima, trevor87, AngryTrucker74, sayWhat? , Fi Car Audio, TheCybe(Made me a vinyl, Mucho ****)
    Bought / Traded with: Sampson
    Sold to: Benilson09, KyleC

Intercooler is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You can get the CDT's here from Don. Great guy to deal with!

My experiences with CDT have also been great FYI.

2001 Honda Civic EX Coupe
    HU- Eclipse CD-5000
    F&R Amp- MB Quart Qaa4250 1000 Watt 4-Channel
    F- CDT HD52 5.25" With 1" Silk Tweets and M-6 6.5" Mids In The Doors(Three Way)
    R- CDT M-6's
    Sub Amp- Hifonics BXi2006D Brutus 2000 Watt D Mono
    Subs- (2) FI-Q 12" in a 1.26 Cu^Ft./Per Side Unported Box
    Battery- Kinetic 1400
    House- Samsung 4665F/Def Tech Mythos 8's/Dayton 15" Sub Kit/Onkyo 605/Harmony 890
    Refs: B-06stxf150, S-tmcilroy, B-lastcall

Motovet is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I did a bunch of demos lately for the Tahoe. Decided on Rainbow Germs though, even if I can't hear them first. I am running BO Pros in my truck now and they sound very good. I will say however I had a chance to demo the new Pros next to the Hex's and spent some time with them....I liked the sound of the diamonds better. They don't have the mid hit like the Pros, but are very nice to listen to.
    When I listened to Focals the only set that satisfied me was the K2P's....but for the money not good enough. Any 6.5 set will sound waaayy better with a sub.

Ignatowski is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

todays HEX's ****,actually all of todays diamond comps are awful
    They are all drivers picked off the shelf of some china speaker mfg to resemble what was once a good designed speaker....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hey, Another member from Winterpeg, Manitoba! Im from the same place guy!

Anyways, like excelerater said, stay away from the newer hex series, they arent what they used to be, AT ALL.

If you are looking to stay local, go check out Brian Reimer Audio and demo a set of the Boston Pro 60's. If they are a tad over your price range, they also sell some nicer lower end sets of bostons, as well as DLS, which seemed to have a nice sound as well.

Or you can order yourself a Rainbow product from Don (6spdcoupe) here on the forums. Authorized dealer and a great guy to do business with.

IF you havent checked out Rainbow, heres their site:

http://car.rainbow-audio.de/home/home.php?lan=2

Alpine CDA-7995
    Rainbow SLC's
    PG Ti 400.2
    PG Ti 800.1
    Boston Pro 12.5 LF

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by superdooperman View Post
    Hey, Another member from Winterpeg, Manitoba! Im from the same place guy!
    Hey dude, thanks for the reply!

In fact, thanks to everyone who's replied.

So two guys poop on the new Hex's. Interesting. What is it about them that makes them sucky? I still plan to hear them (at Brian Reimer) and I'll listen to the Boston Pro's as well. I have a feeling it's gonna be a decision between those two brands.

Btw, SuperDooperMan, aside from Brian Reimer & Advance, what other reputable places are there in Winnipeg? I was thinking of checking out Pyramid but I don't think they cary anything special, unless you're into Clarion speakers. And krazy Krazy... Hmmm... call me crazy, but I just don't trust them!

As for the Rainbows, I've heard many good things about them on the forums, but I never listened to them. I have a hard time buying something I never listened to. Buying audio gear is like buying clothes, you gotta try it out first. No what I mean?

- Mike

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Also noticed no one really said anything great about the Focals... Are they rare or are they just over-hyped?

- Mike

f1refly is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not to thread jack but for those of you that mentioned that the Hex's have gone downhill, do you know when the date was? I have a set of Hex's from 2002/2003 NIB that I was planning on installing soon and hope it made the cut.

I also have a original TDX 12D4 from 2003 still sealed in the box and shipping crate.

joek86 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have a set of Focal K2p's and V2's .......I thought that they both sounded great but the K2p's blew me away, very natural sounding, open. If on a budget, V2's.......... I also have an 11" Focal V2 sub, love it!

Joe

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So, I listened to the Boston Pro 60's & the Hex s600s. The Boston's are nice, but felt they were too laid back. The highs were very warm, despite it being an aluminum tweeter. This may be great for a car environment, but it just didn't wow me in the show room.

The Hex's are very forward sounding and have a very revealing top end - and that's the silk dome. The salesman tells me the aluminum dome tweets may be too bright for my tastes. In fact the silk domes were borderline for me, but overall I seem to like the Hex's the best. If I were to put them all in order I'd say Hex, Polyglass and then the Pro 60's. The problem is, they want more for the Hex then they want for the Polyglass. It's never easy is it?

Unfortunately Brian Reimer closes at 8pm and I wasn't able to hear the DLS. I plan to go back next week and hope to make a decision.

Btw Super, the sale's guy I was dealing with (Ken) mentioned that they're bringing in Steg Twister power amps. Something a little different perhaps, but I have no idea if they're any good or not.

- Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Glaucus View Post
    So, I listened to the Boston Pro 60's & the Hex s600s. The Boston's are nice, but felt they were too laid back. The highs were very warm, despite it being an aluminum tweeter. This may be great for a car environment, but it just didn't wow me in the show room.

The Hex's are very forward sounding and have a very revealing top end - and that's the silk dome. The salesman tells me the aluminum dome tweets may be too bright for my tastes. In fact the silk domes were borderline for me, but overall I seem to like the Hex's the best. If I were to put them all in order I'd say Hex, Polyglass and then the Pro 60's. The problem is, they want more for the Hex then they want for the Polyglass. It's never easy is it?

Unfortunately Brian Reimer closes at 8pm and I wasn't able to hear the DLS. I plan to go back next week and hope to make a decision.

Btw Super, the sale's guy I was dealing with (Ken) mentioned that they're bringing in Steg Twister power amps. Something a little different perhaps, but I have no idea if they're any good or not.

- Mike

Funny how you say the pro's are laid back, I find them much more aggressive in their aluminum tweeter. Again, the sound board you are listening to them on it horrible. But if you take a close listen you can see that they have great off axis response. (move from side to side in the room, sound stage still feels "in front" of you)

IMO the Hex series suffers when it comes to midbass, and you'll definately notice it in the car, even with sufficient dampening. I enjoy their silk tweeter though, nice smooth sound.

If you wanted to go check out a couple places, Krazy has some DLS stuff as well and also some PPI/ and A/D/S stuff. Advance is your source for focal and not sure what else. I wouldnt shop anywhere else, and personally all my business goes to Reimers.

Whats your price range? If you wanted to hear a set of Rainbows, you could always come meet up with me one day for a demo of my SLC's. They are much lower priced then the components your listening to, but I'd put them up to the challange on a few higher end sets.

Alpine CDA-7995
    Rainbow SLC's
    PG Ti 400.2
    PG Ti 800.1
    Boston Pro 12.5 LF

Ignatowski is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by f1refly View Post
    Not to thread jack but for those of you that mentioned that the Hex's have gone downhill, do you know when the date was? I have a set of Hex's from 2002/2003 NIB that I was planning on installing soon and hope it made the cut.

I also have a original TDX 12D4 from 2003 still sealed in the box and shipping crate.

If they say MADE IN CHINA on the box that is a good indication that they are
    of the newer versions,The better versions were made by either LPG or Eton
    I have a few pairs of the LPG mids,they look nothing like China HEX's

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast