Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Are Pioneer REVs toooo big?

MUTCHYMAN is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are Pioneer REVs toooo big?

I just got my new H/u (Alpine CDE-9852) and it increased quality dramatically in the stock speakers. I am looking to get a set of the Pioneer Rev d-161Rs from million buy, but I am afraid they won't fit in my 96 Nissan Sentra. What can i do to make sure i am buying speakers that are not to big? can i just get some rubber discs and drill holes in them to use as spacers?

Also, I have heard great things about these speakers when they are not amped. I only have 1 set of Pre-outs on my H/U, but my dad will NOT let me get an amp.... And there is no way to hide it, because he will find out about it. Is there any other speakers for 85 bucks shipped that can compare to these speakers powered of the H/U. I have heard these at the local dealer, and the only reason I like these more than Alpine-S's is because of the hype around here about build quality, otherwise i like the Alpine-S's just as much as these (i don't like the R's for some reason though)

What is a good website to check if they will fit. CRUTCHFEILD says they won't fit, but the REV's have a 2 5/16" mounting depth and i have 2.5" to work with (more if i use some 1/4" washers) Please help, would like to order tonight soo they can be shipped tommorrow!

JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: Are Pioneer REVs toooo big?

If you've measured the mounting depth, and seen the hole cutout, what are you unsure of?

I'm just not sure what you're asking, you seem to have already done your homework on these...

PESteele is offline I wang on an 8 in a van

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

open your door

99 jeep cherokee on 32, Jvc kd-avx1, Elevation audio concert series speakers, kicker zx250.2, 2 Massive audio cw 12's, directed 1500d

Refs- Twoohfour, SAG3, fo0manchu, guy022077, chris96camaro, frangka2, marcusb419er, XaznKewLguyX, Dj-torn, Milenko515, 6spdcoupe, foreman, tommelton(bimmerforums), burnzie2413, saywhat, Untouchable11, iceteebone, HarleyF150, Fi Car Audio, loud-n-low, dvrmstrng, Deucelee, MJ-tC, coachtjm, 80INCHES, jeepintn, sxkicker89, BiZkiT8u

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hahaha, let me rephrase...i didn't even understand what I was asking. Some websites say the Revs are 2-5/16 mounting and others (crutch) say they are 2-9/16. that extra 1/4 difference could make or break the install. so what i am asking is if the speakers ARE 2-9/16 deep, can i use somme rubber washers to space it out a little so the speakers don't hit my window (or when i am running them vibrate and rub). is it a little clearer?

also, there is the SQ of the H/U power ? and if there is any others i should look at with no expectations of gettting an amp to power

Sorry bout the confussing post

P.S. I have opened the door and measured......

JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I wouldn't use rubber washers, but you have the right idea. 1/2" MDF would work, if you can still fit them behind the grills.

HU power will be alright at low volume levels, but with very dynamic music, you're going to notice what's lacking when you turn it up. You simply need more power in this application to really get good dynamic range.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i can live with low volume....in order to hear my speakers now i have to turn it up when my windows are open which results to distortion. I believe there will be a dramatic improvement from the stock, 8 watt max speakers i'm running now? what ya'll think?

anywho, where can i find some MDF? Local hardware store. I thought of a way to see if the speakers will fit. I have a sears around here that carries them, soo i will buy them from there and then return them next day and they'll take them back if i explain what i was doing..... My friend has done it before

anyway, is dropping 85 bux on new speakers to run off the H/U gonna be worth it over my current stocks?

ravendarat is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

if you dont have the option to cut spacer rings out of wood, you can go to a car audio store and buy a set of spacer rings as well.

VTEC is for people that want a fast and economical shopping cart

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i'd rather go to hobby lobby and pay 4 bucks for a sheet of MDF wood than 18 for spacer rings that might be to thick and make my speakers hit my door panel....thanks for your help ya'll

xluben is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1/4 washers would not be a good idea, because you need a tight seal where the speaker meets the door. if you need more mounting space just buy/make something like this:

http://www.able-audio.com/shop/produ...f5220b80cec2bc

also, my car (1999 honda accord) had a stock spacer, but the back was semi-closed (to keep out rain i think). i just cut the back out and it turned into a perfect 1/2" spacer

oh, and the mounting depth is incorrect on both crutchfield and millionbuy. i have the box for these sitting right in front of me and the mounting depth is 59mm or 2 3/8" so it should fit fine! i think millionbuy has a type (they say 59mm, but the wrong depth in inches), crutchfield seems to just be wrong.

so, i think you can disregard my initial comments about the spacers, because they should fit just fine!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Last question.....should i get some of this sound dampening or dishout the extra 13 for the dynamat?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

link didn't work, but don't get either (probably)

if you're going to do sound dampening don't use asphalt based dampeners. spend a little more for butyl.

i think the walmart stuff you linked to is scosche and it's definitely asphalt based. dynamat original is also asphalt based. dynamat extreme is not. also look into online brands which you can buy in bulk and will be MUCH cheaper. and then you can actually do it right and not just put one tiny sqyare behind the speaker that won't really do much of anything.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ight, and last question. dishout money for the speaker harness or just splice and use some clips from radioshack so i don't have to solder to the speakers?

Flipx99 is offline Violator of Terms

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MUTCHYMAN View Post
    ight, and last question. dishout money for the speaker harness or just splice and use some clips from radioshack so i don't have to solder to the speakers?
    I like the harness when installing on others cars, especillay if new/leased.. Splicing will be okay.

Black cat, white cat...all that matters is that it catches mice. -Deng Xiaoing

I do homework for money. I specialize in finance. PM me for estimates.

If someone uses me as a reference, please contact me first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

they come with the slip on's for splicing, no radioshack needed.

i don't really think getting the harness is worth it. you can usually use the slip on's with the stock speakers anyways (if you need to put them back in).

Closed Thread