User Tag List

Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Speaker sound characteristics...Long & Hopefully one day helpful.

griffee is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaker sound characteristics...Long & Hopefully one day helpful.

Okay, to begin I have been shopping around for some components net style.Yes it isn't the optimum way to do things since listening to audio is very subjective to the listeners ears.However most people(me included) have no place to actually audition components, and it leaves us that can't left relying on feedback from message boards.

I know everyone has heard the same old story before, nowhere to listen and blah blah blah, and it becomes tiresome to repeatedly see the same question asked over and over again about component sets.I am also very tired of using the SEARCH button and reading through miles of threads asking the same thing.Unfortunately there are not a ton of answers hidden in the search feature because most veterans or audiophiles have become a little calous towards answering the "same dumb question".

So while using my SEARCH feature and cruising the net on my Hawaaiin longboard I came accross some very good and interesting reading.A thread had started that I believe would be beneficial to everyone here.It would help all the regulars from quit having to answer the same old dumb question, and it would help all those looking for an answer.It will only work naturally if everyone participates.No participation will just equal another dead thread to read while using the SEARCH function and not getting an answer on the component you were seeking.

So with that said here is the deal:

List the component you have had with the following criteria:

1. Model Name and Number
    2. Where you heard it? (board/car/otherwise)
    3. Description of sound (1 or 2 sentences)
    4. Anything else that would have affected the sound (filters etc if known)

One thing i must include is that the EQ should be set on FLAT and the analysis be done off that.

Simple as that.Just a list of speakers by people who have owned them and their opinions.Nothing more and nothing less.Then someone who is looking for feedback on a particular component will have a place to find it.

Thanks in advance for all of those willing to help others out by taking the time to respond to this thread.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Speaker sound characteristics...Long & Hopefully one day helpful.

I will start out with reviews taken from another forum member regarding the subject:

Model: Rainbow CS265 Profi Phase Plug (120w RMS)
    Link: http://car.rainbow-audio.de/products...n=4&art=231111
    Location: Front doors of my car (sound deadened), tweeters in pillars, facing each other.
    Description: Absolutely silky smooth midrange. Tweeter's match nicely. Definately amoung the smoothest speakers I have heard. Surprisingly low bass extention, but not very strong - this is however due to my install and not the speakers themselves. Properly installed, they'd sound absolutely great. High end is soft and subtle, but the detail is there.
    Bottom Line: If boston pros were a Porsche GT3, then the Rainbows would be a Lexus LS430. Never in your face or harsh: a very relaxing, pleasant cruise.

Model: Rainbow CS365 Profi Vanadium Kickbass (120w RMS)
    Link: http://car.rainbow-audio.de/products...n=3&art=231529
    Location: Midbass in doors, mid in kicks, tweeters in pillars facing each other.
    Description: Extremely strong midbass. Compared to the profi, the vanadiums use a metal dome tweeter, and aluminium cone drivers.
    Bottom Line: The smoothest, sweetest car audio metal dome set I have heard - bar none. Never thought a metal dome could sound so refined.

Model: Rainbow CS275.27 Power (180w RMS)
    Link: http://car.rainbow-audio.de/products...=2&pro=1&lin=5
    Location: Tested in my car in smallish enclosures sitting on the floor in the footwall, witht he tweeters sitting on top... about the worst imaginable position. Now running in my room in the same enclosures.
    Description: Similar styles to the profi set, but better. Smoother, more detailed, and nice off axis. Even installed in the aforementioned position, the staging with high, and very well focussed. Tweeters are smoother, more detailed then the profi (which are themselves, very nice). Same great midrange quality, but midbass is soemthign that has to be heard to be belived. A set which truly can be run without subwoofers. One look at the webpage and you wont be surprised. wopn't play quite as low as a dedicated subwoofer, but you'll be surprised...
    Bottom Line: Think Profi, with a tweeter upgrade and a steroid injection.

Model: Dynaudio System 220 MKII (100w RMS)
    Link: http://www.dynaudio.de/eng/auto/mobile/220mk2.php
    Location: Inside a car, fully deadened and professionally installed. Tweets high in kicks, mids in doors.
    Description: Smooth mids and tweeters, but seemly warm and smooth. In my opinion the rainbows are slightly softer and smoother, which you may like or dislike. Very nice midbass considering the diameter.
    Bottom Line: A beautiful set, and difficult to fault. One of my personal favorites along with the rainbows.

Model: Morel Elate Supremo 6 (200w RMS)
    Link: http://www.morelhifi.com/products/mob_2way_elate.html
    http://www.morelhifi.com/products/mo...s_supremo.html
    Location: Inside a car, fully deadened and professionally installed. Tweets in kicks.
    Description: Very, very similar to the Dynaudios. Greater detail and extention in the highs, and a slighly more aggressive sound (more attack). Still very refined though, with very little difference compared to the dyns.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks jmanpc it's a start

springy101 is offline village idiot/racist

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

woot for forum noobs who actually contribute!

I must follow in eugenics' footsteps, for he is great

Ref's: Ebay

VOA_NIGHTMARE, Blados, frankga2, allenzo, bamaboy x2, Crown_amps, violentrapture, adio x3, bumpin_blazer, fi car audio, haunther, sbcaprice305 x2

6spdcoupe is offline tends to get a bit cranky

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great idea Griffee...unfortunately hard for me contribute at this time after hearing,owning,dealing with literally several hundreds of different sets. Although if this thread stays alive Id be more than happy to contributew from time to time. Just dunno where to start...

DVI-9990/TMI-M990/PXI-H990
    TRU Billet 2200 ..Dyn Esotar 1200
    TRU Billet 4100 ..Dyn Esotar110/Esotar430
    TRU Billet 4100 ..DYN MD182s

Refs:
    Way to many to list, seriously. I lost count when it passed 100

Pr0d1gy is offline D-Bo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 6spdcoupe View Post
    Great idea Griffee...unfortunately hard for me contribute at this time after hearing,owning,dealing with literally several hundreds of different sets. Although if this thread stays alive Id be more than happy to contributew from time to time. Just dunno where to start...
    Why not just pick your top selections for certain price points then? Like if you were buying, which would you buy for under $250, under $500, etc.

JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this what we have a dedicated section for? (Product Reviews?)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would assume so Jim,but have you looked there when trying to make a choice on components?I have.There aren't many..if any answers there.Flip thru the pages in the speaker forum.What do most of threads have to deal with?You guessed it...What should I buy?...What do you think about these?....Has anyone had these?...What component set for XXX money?Over and over.I just figured I would try to help you guys from having to answer the same question repeatedly and those seeking the answers something easier.Hey if you don't think it's a good idea and don't want to help anyone else... I understand...you've probably answered the question a bazillion times anyways.

Thanks for taking the time to post anyways.

So much for trying to help

Closed Thread