Closed Thread

Reload Thread: do they really work?

audiobahnuser18 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

do they really work?

Hey guys got a question the speaker baffle's like the foam ones u can put your door speakers in or the 6x9's in do they really give u more bass or is it just a waste of money i asked the crutchfield advisor in a chat he said they do but u know i just dont want em like lying or something just to sell me em so what do you guys think?

crow is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: do they really work?

Many will trim the bottom and sides out of the back of the baffles to shield the driver from water that may get into the door.

If you really want to improve midbass from your door speakers, the best thing to do is add sound deadening to the inside of the door. It costs a bit of money but there are good deals on deadening material out there. It's easy to install and makes a definite improvement in sound.

springy101 is offline village idiot/racist

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

if you read the sound deadening showdown wood baffles with clay then the speaker mounted "decouple" the door from the speaker and it reduces rattles and sounds better.

I must follow in eugenics' footsteps, for he is great

Ref's: Ebay

VOA_NIGHTMARE, Blados, frankga2, allenzo, bamaboy x2, Crown_amps, violentrapture, adio x3, bumpin_blazer, fi car audio, haunther, sbcaprice305 x2

fearincognito is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

there are also these things that i have seen called speaker cups they are plastic like a box fro you speaker it looks like a cup that you put in the door and then put the speaker inside of it hmm you know like a cerial bowl it projects sound better not so much is lost in the door behind the speaker

wesl56 is offline el sietes!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fearincognito View Post
    there are also these things that i have seen called speaker cups they are plastic like a box fro you speaker it looks like a cup that you put in the door and then put the speaker inside of it hmm you know like a cerial bowl it projects sound better not so much is lost in the door behind the speaker

so it just reflects the back-waves right back into the speaker cone?

heyman421 is offline Veteran Camel Master

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've seen those speaker cups before, i think they're made by metra

they'd be a great idea if they were bigger, but they're so small that rather than adding suspension to the speaker, they'd keep the speaker from moving almost completely

make yourself a 1/2" or 3/4" MDF baffle for each speaker, and just go to town with damping material on the door panel itself. The biggest thing detracting form midbass is backwaves coming back through the door into the cabin, you can go back in and deaden the outside of the door for noise insulation later.

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fearincognito View Post
    it projects sound better not so much is lost in the door behind the speaker
    Someone needs to stop reading marketing propoganda

The sound isn't "lost" in the door panel. The rearwave does not (or atleast, shouldn't) contribute to the sound you hear. That is strictly the frontwave of the speaker. The rearwave in a sealed enclosure is reflected back towards the speaker. For subs, this isn't a big deal. For speakers, this can create distortion and decrease the performance of the speaker. Which is why most worthy home audio speakers have thick foam lining within the enclosure...to prevent the reflection of the rearwave.

Deflex pads/foam padding are still desireable in an infinite baffle alignment. However, the problem is amplified when using an actual enclosure with midrange speakers.

Not to mention, most car audio speakers are specificially designed to perform best in an infinite baffle alignment. Sealing the speaker will only hinder the performance in most cases.

xluben is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squeak9798 View Post
    Not to mention, most car audio speakers are specificially designed to perform best in an infinite baffle alignment. Sealing the speaker will only hinder the performance in most cases.
    this is why most people end up not liking those foam baffles (not enough bass), and end up cutting holes in them.

Closed Thread