Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: What to choose?

odannyb is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon7 What to choose?

I'm considering going with jlaudio or boston acoustic reference series. Don't know which would be better. Jl audio zr650 or boston acoustic z6 for the front doors and jlaudio zr525 or boston acoustic z5 for the rear imaging. Amp and Subs to come later once finally decide where to start. I want to get something nice to replace the bose system that came with my c6, not happy with the bose set up at all. Any help would be cool. Maybe there is something even better than both jl audio or bostons. Just want good power with great sound. Thanks...

beckSHO is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: What to choose?

Quote Originally Posted by odannyb View Post
    I'm considering going with jlaudio or boston acoustic reference series. Don't know which would be better. Jl audio zr650 or boston acoustic z6 for the front doors and jlaudio zr525 or boston acoustic z5 for the rear imaging. Amp and Subs to come later once finally decide where to start. I want to get something nice to replace the bose system that came with my c6, not happy with the bose set up at all. Any help would be cool. Maybe there is something even better than both jl audio or bostons. Just want good power with great sound. Thanks...
    You ****, you have a C6.

Sorry, I am of no help with the speakers.

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
    Head Unit: Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    Mids: Seas ER18RNX's
    Highs: LPG 25NFA's
    Mids & Highs Amp: Phoenix Gold x200.4
    Subs: Two Image Dynamics IDQ12V2's
    Sub Amp: Hifonics BXi 1206D

alteraudiousa is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

you'll need to first bypass the Bose system on it. Are you getting the component setup or the components? And if you have a C6 have fun with that cause IIRC there are 10speakers in it. You'll have to do alot of work at once to make it work. Replace the HU, get an amp to power speakers and if its a convertible you'll definitely need an amp and a set of components and rears to help keep some of the sound in the car. You will have to bypass the amp too.

Authorized CDT dealer

Newest Setup
    Eclipse 8454
    Coustic XM6
    Concept CC-D1200
    (2) Monitor 1 MK2.70
    CDT M6 with drt-26 braxial mounted
    Hybrid Audio Legatia L3
    Stereo Integrity Mag 15

Towncar is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would rather have the bostons without a doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Terranova View Post
    The gain is set around 750 right now. I need to get together with my buddy and plug his stethoscope in to set it to 1000.
    Quote Originally Posted by infamous_e46 View Post
    Start fcking one of the guys in the *** to make her jealous

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alteraudiousa View Post
    you'll need to first bypass the Bose system on it. Are you getting the component setup or the components? And if you have a C6 have fun with that cause IIRC there are 10speakers in it. You'll have to do alot of work at once to make it work. Replace the HU, get an amp to power speakers and if its a convertible you'll definitely need an amp and a set of components and rears to help keep some of the sound in the car. You will have to bypass the amp too.
    I've been reading on corvetteforums.com how to bypass the bose amp and run the low signal outputs from the head unit to the new amp. I was hoping to keep the head unit because I do like the Nav system. It is a convertible with that crappy bose system so yes, I know there will be some work involved integrating a new system. I hope that I can get good staging with high fidelity with good power. Do you think that this is possible? I would probably go with the separate component system. Once I decide what speaker set (jl audio or boston acoutics or something else) to get then its all about the amp and subs. One sub that I saw if I went with boston's is the SPG555. I don't know how good this would be. Thinking of running 3 two channel amps to try and match the power requirements of each speaker set, Fronts, rears and Sub. Because its convertible, do you think that this is a waist of money due to the fact that convertibles really are not designed for good sound staging. I'm excited to get something better, but want to do it right. I appreciate the feedback and opinions suggested.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beckSHO View Post
    You ****, you have a C6.

Sorry, I am of no help with the speakers.
    So does the bose system...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Towncar View Post
    I would rather have the bostons without a doubt.
    Thanks for the input.

Railrocker is offline Sie mich hören?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I dont know what size the speakers are but have you thought about going with a 3 way component system and then buying the upstage tweeters for them. CDT sells a lot of these systems.

http://www.cdtaudio.com/

You can find them online. I know Woofersect.com sells some of them but not theyre entire lineup.

Nick

HU - Pioneer DEH P-5200

COMPS - CDT EF-61

SUB - Memphis 15" M3 D4

SUB AMP - Memphis MC1000D

COMP AMP - Memphis MC2004

AIM: Ridingdarails

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Railrocker View Post
    I dont know what size the speakers are but have you thought about going with a 3 way component system and then buying the upstage tweeters for them. CDT sells a lot of these systems.

You can find them online. I know Woofersect.com sells some of them but not theyre entire lineup.

Nick
    Yes, JL Audio has the xr653, that comes with a 6.5", a 4" and tweeter component. I was leaning towards the 6.5" for the front, 5.25 for the rear (either in two or three way for the front)and a 12" sub for the trunk (maybe two). Boston's Z6 is a 6.5" component reference two way rated @ 125w rms (3 ohm) for the front sound stage. Also using the Z5 two way reference speaker which is a 5.25" component speaker system rated @ 125wrms (3 ohm) for the rear imaging. The SPG555 is boston's reference sub rated @ 1000wrms (2 or 4 ohms available). The amp, still researching, thinking about 3 boston's 2 channel amps, one for the front and one for the rear (2 x GT-24), each rated @ 120wrms and one (GT-28) for the sub rated @ 1100Wrms @ 2 ohms. Do you think that this is to much? Or is this a good mix to take it to the next level of speaker placement, soundstaging, and custom sub enclosure and placement? I could lower the base power I guess to maybe around 700wrms. Not sure exactly what to do. Being that it is a convertible, its kinda making initial planning a little tuff (Other than every thing required on the vehicle just to get started, like getting around the bose delima and Nav integration). Any comments, opinions or suggestions would be greatly appriciated... Once finished, I'll have to uplink some photo's, maybe all this will help someone else. There is alot of corvette dudes out there that don't like bose system either... Thanks, hope to hear more from you and others as well...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Railrocker View Post

Nick
    Forgot to ask you if you think that the cdt line is a better product? If so, that maybe the way to go. I'll do some more research until I hear back from you...

6spdcoupe is offline tends to get a bit cranky

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do you like your music Really bright? Go for the JLs do you have gobs of power on tap? go for the BAs...Since those are your only two choices, thats all I can comment on.

DVI-9990/TMI-M990/PXI-H990
    TRU Billet 2200 ..Dyn Esotar 1200
    TRU Billet 4100 ..Dyn Esotar110/Esotar430
    TRU Billet 4100 ..DYN MD182s

Refs:
    Way to many to list, seriously. I lost count when it passed 100

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 6spdcoupe View Post
    Do you like your music Really bright? Go for the JLs do you have gobs of power on tap? go for the BAs...Since those are your only two choices, thats all I can comment on.
    I open for any suggestions... The CDT line looks good, don't mind spending a little extra for quality. Thanks...

95mx6gold is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i have plenty of experience with the jl xr series. DO NOT buy either the xr or zr series from jl (they're pretty similar). while the xr's are decent for the money, they left me wanting more. i have since changed out the xr650 and xr525 component sets i had for seas lotus reference speakers and am much happier. the tweeter on xr/zr is pretty good but kind of harsh. however the midrange BLOWS - it lacks detail at higher frequencies and is weak on midbass.

kublkmax is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There are so many more choices other than the JL and Boston. Now if it had to come down the the 2 of them I would tell you to buy the Bostons Tweeters are not as harsh and the midbass is far better than the JL. What is your budget? What do you want to get out of your music? What amps are you looking at? These are things that you must consider. I can recommend speakers all day long but if they don't fit your goal than what is the point.

In Loving Memory of My Wife, Shannon 8/22/74-1/4/07

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 95mx6gold View Post
    i have plenty of experience with the jl xr series. DO NOT buy either the xr or zr series from jl (they're pretty similar). while the xr's are decent for the money, they left me wanting more. i have since changed out the xr650 and xr525 component sets i had for seas lotus reference speakers and am much happier. the tweeter on xr/zr is pretty good but kind of harsh. however the midrange BLOWS - it lacks detail at higher frequencies and is weak on midbass.
    Thanks, I think I will Stay Away from them. Thinking of going to CDT's... Any info on them.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast