Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Cheap Bass, without the sub...

beckSHO is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cheap Bass, without the sub...

Hello,

Well, I've got a 97 Taurus SHO (V8 baby, pretty quick). The stock system that it comes with isn't too bad. The stock system consists of a pair of 6x8 coaxial speakers in the rear deck. Also, there is a whole for a 6x9 "sub" that came in the premium system in 96. This whole is right in the middle, between the two speakers. The speakers up front are also 6x8, but are components. The woofer is in the door, and the tweeter is in the bottom right corner on the driver's side, and bottom left on the pass. side of the window. Yeah, it sounds decent for a factory setup. However, I'd like some better sound out of it. I'd like better bass, but I'm ruling out a subwoofer enclosure in the trunk, due to space issues. Also, I would like the SQ of the bass to be good. Loud, crappy bass isn't my thing. The type of music I would be listening to most would be rock, classic rock, and the sort. So I don't need the head pounding bass of a 12" subwoofer, taking up all my trunk space. This leaves me with a few options... I've been doing some research, and have found a few good ways to accomplish what I want done.... Here's what I came up with...

1) I've found that I can place a small subwoofer (6.5-7inch) or two in my rear deck. I could set this up in an infinite baffle setup. From what I have read, infinite baffle setups are really good for sound quality. Although, they don't get loud. I'm not necessarily looking for loudness, so that is fine with me. I would just like some extra bump in the bass department. Here's a driver I found. From what I can tell, this would work well in a setup I'm looking for.

2) I wouldn't be able to fit an 8" sub in the 6x9 whole. Also, I can't find a decent looking 6x9" sub for the life of me. If anybody knows of one, please hook me up with a link. But remember, I'm a cheapy, so price is key.

3) Next, I could simply replace all of the interior speakers. Of corse I would amp them, but this route seems a little bit more costly than my number one option. Also, I'm looking for better bass... not sure which option would be better for bass.

After doing my research I have a few questions:

1) What kind of bass response can I expect out of these 6.5 inch "subwoofers"? I could fit two in my rear deck, but would like to keep to one. I'm on a budget. So, if one would give me decent bass response, all the better.

2) If I do go with the ED "subs", how much power should I send them. I know that the site says they are rated at 150 watts RMS, but would that still be safe in an infinite baffle situation?

3) Would simply replacing the stock speakers with some aftermarket amp'd speaker give me better bass response than the ED "sub"? I know that the music will be loads clearer if I did this. But, IMO, the stock speakers and tweets do a great job. They don't distort until I have it cranked. Not to mention, I don't listen to my music that loud. I like to hear the sound of my exhaust/engine at times. Also, I'm not looking for clearer music, however it would be appreciated. I am looking mainly for more bass.

4) If I decide on the aftermarket speakers, should I look into coaxial or components? I'd only be replacing one pair of speakers right now, due to money. I'll save up for a second pair, and buy those down the road a little.

5) After looking at some components, I came up with an idea. I could toss the tweeters up front, replacing the stock ones. And mount the woofers in the rear deck. How bad of an idea is this? Would it sound better with the woofers in the back, or in the front?

6) Obviously, the difference between coaxials and components is that the tweeters aren't attachted to the woofer on components. Also, components come with a crossover. Here's what I would like to know, would components give me better bass response than the coaxials? Say if I were to feed a pair of components the same amount of power as I would a pair of coaxials, which would have better bass response/ sound quality? Which would sound louder? Would there even be a difference?

That's all I have for now. I'm still learning things about this car audio thing. Hopefully you guys can help me out. Thanks a lot guys!

Beck

Thieroff is offline The Master of Meatcutters

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Cheap Bass, without the sub...

Mdf Ring and an ascendant audio assassin 8 ftw man

Pioneer880prs
    TC Sounds DB-500s
    PG Tantrum 600.4/PG Tantrum 1200.1
    CDT HDs
    Sold to :
    Vosschs, HiAmplidude, vipervin, KojiroTakenashi, BassAddictJ, SkyDeaner, Mattmcss, MaxSEma, Tapout, Playboyclic, ls2poweredgoat, amedeuce
    Traded to:
    Flaus, Lckmyblls, audiobahnuser18
    Bought from:
    FF92, Lckmyblls, DjDillioDon, Pjvoc, Mattmcss, Kasimo420,CBFryman2, BBB543, allenzo

springy101 is offline village idiot/racist

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thieroff
    Mdf Ring and an ascendant audio assassin 8 ftw man
    yes, definitely, or make a bigger ring and go with an idq10, some of the best ib subs. no matter what your going to have make a ring to fit an 8 or a 10 in there, a 6.5 will do nothing, and 6x9's are really crappy anyway.

I must follow in eugenics' footsteps, for he is great

Ref's: Ebay

VOA_NIGHTMARE, Blados, frankga2, allenzo, bamaboy x2, Crown_amps, violentrapture, adio x3, bumpin_blazer, fi car audio, haunther, sbcaprice305 x2

Amokie is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have a 97 Taurus, you can fit a 10 or 2 sealed in there very easily, and have plenty of room.

beckSHO is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amokie
    I have a 97 Taurus, you can fit a 10 or 2 sealed in there very easily, and have plenty of room.
    I know that bro, but I don't want sub enclosures in my trunk. At all, I just don't have the space for it, and I don't need the overpowering bass.

I think I'm just going to swap out the speakers with some coaxials. I'm think some Kenwoods because I can get those cheap. I'm not looking for amazing sound quality, just a little more oomph than the stock setup.

springy101 is offline village idiot/racist

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

also, if you want clearer sound and better bass, get a good 4ch amp that does around 40w or 50w x 4 at 4 ohms to power all your speakers, that should make them sound 10x better than off the crappy stock head unit.

I must follow in eugenics' footsteps, for he is great

Ref's: Ebay

VOA_NIGHTMARE, Blados, frankga2, allenzo, bamaboy x2, Crown_amps, violentrapture, adio x3, bumpin_blazer, fi car audio, haunther, sbcaprice305 x2

GordonW is offline Speakerfixer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Second the vote for an IB 10" woofer, in an MDF spacer/adapter under the rear deck.

I'd be inclined to use a 4-channel amp... but run 2 channels to the front speakers, and bridge the other two to the subwoofer. Get an amp with built-in crossovers, so you can high-pass the fronts and low-pass the sub. You should be able to get by, running the rear speakers off of the head unit, at least for now.

I know the 10" will work... we've used woofers as large as a FIFTEEN inch sub, mounted IB under the rear deck in a Taurus of this vintage. Wasn't any problem at all... there's PLENTY of room. Didn't even have to cut out the hole bigger than 6x9... in fact, the 6x9 hole acted almost like a "slot load"... it made for more low bass exension.

If it were me, I'd look at stuff like this-

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=293-353

No, an MTX Road Thunder 12" isn't going to break any SPL records, but it should have no problem producing 110 to 115 dB of bass in the car, easy, running on 80-120 watts. With a Qts of .59, it's ideal for IB mounting... and for $50, it's got LOTS of bang-for-the-buck...

Regards,
    Gordon.
    Last edited by GordonW; 07-28-2006 at 01:32 PM.

psych0ticnemes1 is offline Psych0tic Customs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

you don't need a dedicated woofer for what you want... unless you go infinite baffle

if i was you, i would get some components and a decent amp for them... would give you good midbass up front

References:

Ali1, michaellane, cadillac114, chasinSKURT, DaRevrin, rhuff80, sam yung, The215, tukn18s, Xenophontos,nuboot,jfitz97,LuckyDerDer 2x

SQBubble is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

get this for rear deck
    http://www.vibeaudio.co.uk/index.asp...=p-qb69-f.html

and some nice component up front, all amplified, should be sweet

Closed Thread