User Tag List

Closed Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Reload Thread: Need advice regarding my front stage

  1. #1
    abcheng's Avatar
    abcheng is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Need advice regarding my front stage

    My current setup is: RE comps in the front, no rear fills, and an AA Avalanche 12" sub w/ DEI 600D amp on a Eclipse 8445 HU.

    I recently got the 8445, and replaced it with my stock HU. I did notice an improvement in the front stage overall, but the harshness of the tweeters are worse than before, since I'm obviously using a better HU than before. I tried messing with the EQ to try and soften the tweeters, but they're still pretty harsh as it is. The midbass is ok, but not what I'm desiring.

    I've heard quite a few good things about AA Poly Mids which seem to be very cheap for their performance. I was either thinking about sound deadning my doors, or going with AA Poly Mids. If I was to go with the AAs, what tweets would you guys recommend, and what kind of crossover would be recommended to be bulit?

    Would you guys suggest sound deadning, or going with the AAs?



    Current setup:

    Eclipse 8445
    RE Comps
    AA Avalanche 12"
    DEI 600d




  2. #2
    theCybe's Avatar
    theCybe is offline sector three



    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    6,004
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Need advice regarding my front stage

    I would recommend you pick up an external crossover, and run them active; You'll be able to trim your tweets and mids up and down all day long, until you find the sweet spot.

    I'm using a Coustic XM-7, it's the most important part of my system IMO.

    Here's an XM-5




  3. #3
    alphakenny1's Avatar
    alphakenny1 is offline LOTUS FTW!



    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,017
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Need advice regarding my front stage

    are the tweeters simbliant? try cutting between 8-10khz with a wide Q.



    W200/H701
    Dyn MW160/Lotus RM110/Seas Neo Alum/Idmax
    Alpine PDX

    References
    RoudyruffKK, mattmcss, BLD 25, 02corvette
    bjfish11 ,slain93gsr, DJGTSR, flakko, FoxPro5
    2.2l integra, rawdogj, guy022077, bumpn_gt
    lowlinc, rocky 59, alann, ECA, DIYMA

    bay area people need some custom work done? pm me. here's some work that we've done:
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/151662/1
    http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...man52/Install/
    http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=76937

  4. #4
    abcheng's Avatar
    abcheng is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Need advice regarding my front stage

    Quote Originally Posted by theCybe
    I would recommend you pick up an external crossover, and run them active; You'll be able to trim your tweets and mids up and down all day long, until you find the sweet spot.

    I'm using a Coustic XM-7, it's the most important part of my system IMO.

    Here's an XM-5
    Is the crossover in the 8445 not sufficient?

    Quote Originally Posted by alphakenny1
    are the tweeters simbliant? try cutting between 8-10khz with a wide Q.
    I don't think so. I think I already lowered the 8-10 khz band. How would I change the Q ?



    Current setup:

    Eclipse 8445
    RE Comps
    AA Avalanche 12"
    DEI 600d

  5. #5
    alphakenny1's Avatar
    alphakenny1 is offline LOTUS FTW!



    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,017
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Need advice regarding my front stage

    read the manual on changing the Q. i'm not positive as i don't have the manual in front of me but i believe it is buttons 5 and 6. 5 to lower the q and 6 to widen the q. most of the time when people complain about harshness, anywhere from 5-10khz is the usual suspect.



    W200/H701
    Dyn MW160/Lotus RM110/Seas Neo Alum/Idmax
    Alpine PDX

    References
    RoudyruffKK, mattmcss, BLD 25, 02corvette
    bjfish11 ,slain93gsr, DJGTSR, flakko, FoxPro5
    2.2l integra, rawdogj, guy022077, bumpn_gt
    lowlinc, rocky 59, alann, ECA, DIYMA

    bay area people need some custom work done? pm me. here's some work that we've done:
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/151662/1
    http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...man52/Install/
    http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=76937

  6. #6
    abcheng's Avatar
    abcheng is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Need advice regarding my front stage

    Quote Originally Posted by alphakenny1
    read the manual on changing the Q. i'm not positive as i don't have the manual in front of me but i believe it is buttons 5 and 6. 5 to lower the q and 6 to widen the q. most of the time when people complain about harshness, anywhere from 5-10khz is the usual suspect.
    I tried to widen the Q and lower the 5-10 khz frequencies, but it still seems harsh.

    I'm still not desiring the midbass that I would like to have. I did have to replace the stock speaker mounts with a 3/4" MDF baffle, but didn't seal the surrounding area since it's only held on by 1 screw. Would sealing off the area around the speaker help?



    Current setup:

    Eclipse 8445
    RE Comps
    AA Avalanche 12"
    DEI 600d

  7. #7
    alphakenny1's Avatar
    alphakenny1 is offline LOTUS FTW!



    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,017
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Need advice regarding my front stage

    Quote Originally Posted by abcheng
    I tried to widen the Q and lower the 5-10 khz frequencies, but it still seems harsh.

    I'm still not desiring the midbass that I would like to have. I did have to replace the stock speaker mounts with a 3/4" MDF baffle, but didn't seal the surrounding area since it's only held on by 1 screw. Would sealing off the area around the speaker help?
    did you deaden your door? and yes seal it all off with at least 4 screws and use modeling clay to seal off the rest of the baffle.

    also try to lower those frequencies more. try the max possible and see how it sounds.



    W200/H701
    Dyn MW160/Lotus RM110/Seas Neo Alum/Idmax
    Alpine PDX

    References
    RoudyruffKK, mattmcss, BLD 25, 02corvette
    bjfish11 ,slain93gsr, DJGTSR, flakko, FoxPro5
    2.2l integra, rawdogj, guy022077, bumpn_gt
    lowlinc, rocky 59, alann, ECA, DIYMA

    bay area people need some custom work done? pm me. here's some work that we've done:
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/151662/1
    http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...man52/Install/
    http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=76937

  8. #8
    dak0ta_g33k's Avatar
    dak0ta_g33k is offline whatR words4 ?



    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Cochise County Arizona
    Posts
    963
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Need advice regarding my front stage

    dunno where your RE tweets are mounted, but i put mine into kickpanels and they're less harsh sounding down there



    \o0o_allan_o0o/
    2003 Dodge Club Cab
    Adire Koda 10s : MXA 8001
    Kicker SSMB6 : ID CD1e : ID NX30 : RE XXX 6.5 : MXA 6004
    Alpine iDA-x100 : 80gb iPod Classic


  9. #9
    abcheng's Avatar
    abcheng is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Need advice regarding my front stage

    Quote Originally Posted by alphakenny1
    did you deaden your door? and yes seal it all off with at least 4 screws and use modeling clay to seal off the rest of the baffle.

    also try to lower those frequencies more. try the max possible and see how it sounds.
    Nope, door is not deadened. It's hard to fit all 4 screws on there since the design of the original speaker mount is strange. How much would deadning the door help for midbass? When I lower the frequencies, it seems like I lose quite a bit of detail.
    Quote Originally Posted by dak0ta_g33k

    dunno where your RE tweets are mounted, but i put mine into kickpanels and they're less harsh sounding down there
    Mine are mounted on the door. I don't really have much room for kicks especially on the drivers side of the car.



    Current setup:

    Eclipse 8445
    RE Comps
    AA Avalanche 12"
    DEI 600d

Closed Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum