Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Question about the Boston Pro's

sc197 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Question about the Boston Pro's

I'm looking into getting a set of Boston Acoustics Pro60, and they come with 4 crossovers. One for each midbass and tweeter. Would I need a 4-channel amp to power those, or a 2-channel?

I'm not sure if I want to go passive or active yet, I'm leaning more towards active so I can control the settings through the HU and not worry about using the crossovers. It just depends on whatever is the best way to get the best performance out of the speakers. Either way would I need a 4-channel or 2-channel?

Also, the RMS of the Bostons are 125wrms, is that for the pair or each midbass? (Total being 250wrms for both) I always thought it meant the pair but I asked around and everyone is telling me both answers, so maybe someone can help.

Now looking for an amp to power the Bostons, what kind of specs should I look into? (Example: If I was getting a 4-channel and both are 250wrms)
    300wrmsx4 @ 2ohms.

Something like those specs? I always thought when it said 300wrms x4 it procudes 300wrms total using all 4-channels. But I've been told that it means 300wrms each channel. Can someone please tell me the correct answer?

The Bostons are 3ohms so if I got an amp that was somewhere around those specs, it would probably see around 200 something watts @ 3ohms. Correct?

I'm still a newbie when it comes to components but I'm trying to learn so sorry if those questions are retarded.

Thanks.

Echo42987 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Question about the Boston Pro's

There are only two crossovers but they can be seperated into 4 seperate pieces. But you'll always need two of them connected anyways. If you get them you'll only need a 2 channel amp unless you are gettin' speakers for the rear of the car then you would need a four channel. You only need one channel per speaker

Anything that does 100-300 watts would be sufficient for these speakers.

I always suggest using the Crossovers if you are still new to the game. You can still control the speakers with the HU 3/4's the time as well ne ways.

-Nick-

MBrock4u is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Question about the Boston Pro's

Boston's are really nice speakers. I was so close to getting some. I heard some from a reall nice audio place in carbondale earlier this year from the manager's setup in his car. i was very impressed. By the looks of is Echo, as many times as I have seen you post, your system must sound fabulous!

Closed Thread