Closed Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Reload Thread: Rear Speakers... some opinions needed

  1. #1
    TallestTSX's Avatar
    TallestTSX is offline Junior Member



    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Rear Speakers... some opinions needed

    So I'm thinking of upgrading the speakers in my TSX, but I'm being told that upgrading the rear speakers (both door and in the deck) is not recommended. Now I don't care about my back seat passengers at all, so that's not the issue. I'm just wondering if everything will sound alright with just components in the front and a sub in the trunk. Is this how most high-end installs are done? I know that I would leave out the 6x9's if I put a sub in, but leaving out ALL of the rear speakers seems extreme.

    What do you recommend? Will the sound truly sound good and engulf me with only front speakers? Are there other things to consider?

    Thanks.







  2. #2
    ismelllikepoop's Avatar
    ismelllikepoop is offline Poophead



    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    tj
    Posts
    208
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Rear Speakers... some opinions needed

    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=264-837
    from what i understand, the 6x9's in the rear are subs. if those fit, i think it would be a cool upgrade. are you installing a cleansweep type deal with a new amp?




  3. #3
    crow's Avatar
    crow is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    255
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Rear Speakers... some opinions needed

    You should be fine with just the fronts and a sub in the back. Run a quality set and give them good power and you will never notice the rear speakers are gone.

    The TangBands do look kind of sharp. Never heard any of them, though. Would make a great stealth install if they play right.




  4. #4
    ItalynStylion's Avatar
    ItalynStylion is offline Audiophile



    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fort Worth, Tx.
    Posts
    1,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Rear Speakers... some opinions needed

    Quote Originally Posted by crow
    The TangBands do look kind of sharp. Never heard any of them, though. Would make a great stealth install if they play right.
    Yeah man, those look tight as hell! Are there many 6x9 open air subs like that?!?
    I would like to hear some of those



    Quote Originally Posted by qtipextra View Post
    is 2 12's overkill for HT?
    Quote Originally Posted by JimJ View Post
    It's a start.

  5. #5
    squeak9798's Avatar
    squeak9798 is offline Banned



    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,300
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Rear Speakers... some opinions needed

    Quote Originally Posted by TallestTSX
    I'm just wondering if everything will sound alright with just components in the front and a sub in the trunk. Is this how most high-end installs are done?
    Yup.

    Having rear speakers will only hinder the performance of the stereo as a whole. Rear speakers will cause cancellation/phasing issues, which will create frequency response problems, aswell as creating another source point behind you which will damage the imaging and soundstaging.

    I know that I would leave out the 6x9's if I put a sub in, but leaving out ALL of the rear speakers seems extreme.
    Not at all, for the reasons I mentioned above.

    What do you recommend?
    Drop the rear speakers. Not necessary.

    Will the sound truly sound good and engulf me with only front speakers?
    Depends on what you mean by "engulf". The sound should not be coming at you from every direction...only from infront of you.

    Think of it like this....when you're at a live concert, is the band in front of you or completely surrounding you? They're only in front of you. This is the same effect you want your stereo to recreate, and it's called soundstaging. The "stage" should be in front of you in your vehicle, with all of the instruments placed in their correct positions on this imaginary stage (this is called imaging).

    And yes, a properly installed and amplified set of front speakers will have more than enough output. Quantity of sound will not be lacking in the least.

    Are there other things to consider?
    In regards to rear speakers, or the stereo system as a whole?




  6. #6
    TallestTSX's Avatar
    TallestTSX is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Rear Speakers... some opinions needed

    Quote Originally Posted by squeak9798
    Think of it like this....when you're at a live concert, is the band in front of you or completely surrounding you? They're only in front of you. This is the same effect you want your stereo to recreate, and it's called soundstaging. The "stage" should be in front of you in your vehicle, with all of the instruments placed in their correct positions on this imaginary stage (this is called imaging).
    I guess my biggest fear is that at my size (6'9"), my legs block my door speakers (I'm not putting in kick panels or any other after-market box). Will I have any problems hearing the mid-range of sound from the left channel?




  7. #7
    helotaxi's Avatar
    helotaxi is offline Kilroy was Here



    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    South Central (New Mexico that is...)
    Age
    39
    Posts
    8,933
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Rear Speakers... some opinions needed

    No. You won't have a problem.



    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

    Life's tough...it's even tougher when you're stupid.

  8. #8
    mlstrass's Avatar
    mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA



    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    10,539
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1169 Post(s)

    Re: Rear Speakers... some opinions needed

    I'll play devil's advocate sort of. Get your sub and front stage going and if "you" think you need rear fill then get it.

    I see the live concert reference quite often and understand it, but what about us who grew up in the dance clubs in the 80's? I'm used to sound all around me and listen to music in 7 channel stereo at home. As for actual concerts, been to pleny of metal bands and with the WALL of speakers they use it sure does NOT sound like 2 channel stereo. AC/DC 3rd row years back was definitely surround sound!!!

    I use a pair of JBL coax's with bass blockers in the rear, off the HU and they do make a difference. A little more "volume" I guess, but they don't negatively affect the sound out of the front stage at all. YMMV....




  9. #9
    SuperTrooper's Avatar
    SuperTrooper is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Houston,Texas
    Age
    46
    Posts
    922
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Rear Speakers... some opinions needed

    It all depends on what sounds best to you. Try it with and without the rear fill then choose from there. Being an ol' timer myself. Some of the best " sound staging" acts have rear fill. Deep Purple, Rush, Queen and Pink Floyd. The best sounding live acts I've seen and heard.



    2000 Nissan Xterra
    ------------------------------------
    H/U- Pioneer DEH-8600mp
    Pioneer GEX-920XM SDR
    Subs- 2-12" Kicker EL' Sevens
    Sub Amp- Sundown SAZ-1500d
    Sub Enclosure- vented 2.75 cubes per sub
    Amp- SoundStream Reference 604
    Comps- Focals Polyglass 165v

  10. #10
    squeak9798's Avatar
    squeak9798 is offline Banned



    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,300
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Rear Speakers... some opinions needed

    I used the reference to a live band since that's what most people on here would be familiar with. But in reality, a better reference would be to a live, unamplified concert such as most orchestra's. In which case, speaker placement at the concert is of no consequence (since there aren't any) and the soundstaging and imaging should all be completely in front of you and placed where the instruments on the stage are located.

    Likewise, most amplified concerts are not set in up a mannor to allow for best "sound quality", but instead to cover the entire arena with sound. In which case, most any amplified concerts are a bad example or reference to use for soundstaging and imaging. For example....if Maynard, the lead singer for TOOL, walks across the stage left to right, the sound the audience is hearing is not going to follow that. When referencing imaging from a live amplified concert, the soundstaging and imaging for the reproduction (your stereo) should be dictated by where the band is located on the stage, and not where the speakers for the concert are located.
    Last edited by squeak9798; 07-15-2006 at 12:56 PM.




  11. #11
    helotaxi's Avatar
    helotaxi is offline Kilroy was Here



    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    South Central (New Mexico that is...)
    Age
    39
    Posts
    8,933
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Rear Speakers... some opinions needed

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTrooper
    It all depends on what sounds best to you. Try it with and without the rear fill then choose from there. Being an ol' timer myself. Some of the best " sound staging" acts have rear fill. Deep Purple, Rush, Queen and Pink Floyd. The best sounding live acts I've seen and heard.
    Those acts use processing (and probably a lot of it) on the rear channels. They are not merely duplicates of the fronts as most car rear fill setups are. There is a huge difference between processed and unprocessed rear channels.



    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

    Life's tough...it's even tougher when you're stupid.

  12. #12
    ItalynStylion's Avatar
    ItalynStylion is offline Audiophile



    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fort Worth, Tx.
    Posts
    1,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Rear Speakers... some opinions needed

    Quote Originally Posted by squeak9798
    I used the reference to a live band since that's what most people on here would be familiar with. But in reality, a better reference would be to a live, unamplified concert such as most orchestra's. In which case, speaker placement at the concert is of no consequence (since there aren't any) and the soundstaging and imaging should all be completely in front of you and placed where the instruments on the stage are located.

    Likewise, most amplified concerts are not set in up a mannor to allow for best "sound quality", but instead to cover the entire arena with sound. In which case, most any amplified concerts are a bad example or reference to use for soundstaging and imaging. For example....if Maynard, the lead singer for TOOL, walks across the stage left to right, the sound the audience is hearing is not going to follow that. When referencing imaging from a live amplified concert, the soundstaging and imaging for the reproduction (your stereo) should be dictated by where the band is located on the stage, and not where the speakers for the concert are located.
    Way to reference TOOL ....at least one of you seems to have it together



    Quote Originally Posted by qtipextra View Post
    is 2 12's overkill for HT?
    Quote Originally Posted by JimJ View Post
    It's a start.

Closed Thread

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum