Closed Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Reload Thread: ok i give up

  1. #1
    04silverz's Avatar
    04silverz is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    1,518
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    ok i give up

    i tried searching but found way too many results and with nothing that looked like the answer to what i want to know
    what would be the major difference in 3 way vs 2 way of the same set?
    how much of a diff does that 4" midrange make and if i'm someone who doesnt like a whole lot of "highs" or very "bright" sound should i stay away from a 3 way? or does it actually add more to the midbass since the 6.5 gets to be a dedicated mid?
    also i am planning on installing these in the door of a tahoe, waht would be the best way to install a 3 wayset?



    refs (from sounddomain):gerald, resonant18, puppettmaster, steedaSVT, george diaz, minimum 40, blaze1foo, negative3five
    ca.com: foxpro5, cd6551, dgr00s, 95stroked1500, 00maxima, vipervenom18, alxmlr789, Killa Camry, GA95DCMSS, cyoung88, grimreper912003, 6spdcoupe, kraudio12, MHd2000, king nothing, stephens30228, mclerico83, hip3, mylows10, fieryhooligan, plyer3, 2lo2flo, trumpet, stereohead69, 99_olds_aurora

    diyma: bikinpunk, funkPnut, dman, joehemi57

    CACO:coolysteve, etznova, Nori808, lowbass, edouble101, p928gts1, rdlyn13000




  2. #2
    brandontw's Avatar
    brandontw is offline just some guy



    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,108
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: ok i give up

    Are you talking about a component set or a coaxial-type speaker.

    The theory if that of you have a three-four-five-six-way(WTF pioneer???) speaker each speaker has less of a frequency range to reproduce so it can do it with less distortion, ect. But generally, it is not very benificial to have mor than a two way.

    In a couple cases, there are component sets that come with three speakers (this must be what your referring too scince you mentions the 4" mid) i think JL, Audiobahn, and mabye someone else makes such a set, and i have heard ok things about them, but i think the cons outweigh the benifits, you have to find a place to mount that extra speaker, then worry about proper placement and imaging for all three speaks, while mounting a regular component set remains fairly simple and foolproof. If you really want to try them, i dont discourage you, but a two way set up will give you no loss in performance whatsoever.





  3. #3
    camry_tuner's Avatar
    camry_tuner is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    846
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: ok i give up

    its a component set, and all the major speaker manufacturers make 3-way sets, just put the 6.5 midbass in the doors, and the midrange and the tweets in kickpanels, that IMO is the most basic placement for a 3-way front stage, or for some cars, fit all of them in the doors, if the space allows...

    for the tahoe, you might be able to fit all 3 in the door, a lot of people on this forum have done that /w an SUV, check to see the space you have, and go from there...

    as for pro and con about 2-way or 3-way, read the speaker tutorial, i dont really ahve any input or experience there



    2008 Honda Fit Sport
    Work in Progress

    Refs: flakko, cpierce, mega1268, cd6551, 2kchevy, backtofront001, stuckinok, xdavieexx, keefy248, james bang, and more

  4. #4
    squeak9798's Avatar
    squeak9798 is offline Banned



    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,300
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: ok i give up

    Quote Originally Posted by 04silverz
    i tried searching but found way too many results and with nothing that looked like the answer to what i want to know
    what would be the major difference in 3 way vs 2 way of the same set?
    how much of a diff does that 4" midrange make and if i'm someone who doesnt like a whole lot of "highs" or very "bright" sound should i stay away from a 3 way? or does it actually add more to the midbass since the 6.5 gets to be a dedicated mid?
    also i am planning on installing these in the door of a tahoe, waht would be the best way to install a 3 wayset?
    The answer is actually stickied at the top of this section:

    http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showpo...30&postcount=2




  5. #5
    04silverz's Avatar
    04silverz is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    1,518
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Re: ok i give up

    sorry guys i forgot to read the stickies.

    just curious, if i just slap the 3 ways in the door and dont really bother to set up the imaging on them, how much will i notice that? i mean i like my stuff to sound good and want it to sound best but im by no means an sq judge nor competing in that.
    what i mean is would it be slap in the face obvious or just not up to its full potential?



    refs (from sounddomain):gerald, resonant18, puppettmaster, steedaSVT, george diaz, minimum 40, blaze1foo, negative3five
    ca.com: foxpro5, cd6551, dgr00s, 95stroked1500, 00maxima, vipervenom18, alxmlr789, Killa Camry, GA95DCMSS, cyoung88, grimreper912003, 6spdcoupe, kraudio12, MHd2000, king nothing, stephens30228, mclerico83, hip3, mylows10, fieryhooligan, plyer3, 2lo2flo, trumpet, stereohead69, 99_olds_aurora

    diyma: bikinpunk, funkPnut, dman, joehemi57

    CACO:coolysteve, etznova, Nori808, lowbass, edouble101, p928gts1, rdlyn13000

  6. #6
    springy101's Avatar
    springy101 is offline village idiot/racist



    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Age
    26
    Posts
    8,152
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: ok i give up

    Quote Originally Posted by 04silverz
    sorry guys i forgot to read the stickies.

    just curious, if i just slap the 3 ways in the door and dont really bother to set up the imaging on them, how much will i notice that? i mean i like my stuff to sound good and want it to sound best but im by no means an sq judge nor competing in that.
    what i mean is would it be slap in the face obvious or just not up to its full potential?
    well i guess im not much of an sq guy, but i cant hear the difference between $40 pioneers from walmart or $800 focal speakers



    I must follow in eugenics' footsteps, for he is great

    Ref's: Ebay


    VOA_NIGHTMARE, Blados, frankga2, allenzo, bamaboy x2, Crown_amps, violentrapture, adio x3, bumpin_blazer, fi car audio, haunther, sbcaprice305 x2

  7. #7
    squeak9798's Avatar
    squeak9798 is offline Banned



    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,300
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: ok i give up

    Quote Originally Posted by 04silverz
    sorry guys i forgot to read the stickies.

    just curious, if i just slap the 3 ways in the door and dont really bother to set up the imaging on them, how much will i notice that? i mean i like my stuff to sound good and want it to sound best but im by no means an sq judge nor competing in that.
    what i mean is would it be slap in the face obvious or just not up to its full potential?
    Depends on your level of critical listening, and what you're used to listening to.

    Just tossing some 3-ways in the doors would probably sound "good" to 90% of the population (and possibly you)....but once you've experienced music that contains proper, or at least "pretty good", imaging......it's really hard to sit in your own vehicle (which has poor imaging) and still think it sounds even mediocre.

    My personal advice...if you're going to do it, do it right and don't half *** it. No sense, IMHO, in spending money on a decent set of 3-way components only to put them in a subpar install. Might as well go the extra mile and set them up for the best imaging and soundstaging you can obtain.......once you hear the difference, you'll be glad that you did




  8. #8
    04silverz's Avatar
    04silverz is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    1,518
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Re: ok i give up

    Quote Originally Posted by squeak9798
    Depends on your level of critical listening, and what you're used to listening to.

    Just tossing some 3-ways in the doors would probably sound "good" to 90% of the population (and possibly you)....but once you've experienced music that contains proper, or at least "pretty good", imaging......it's really hard to sit in your own vehicle (which has poor imaging) and still think it sounds even mediocre.

    My personal advice...if you're going to do it, do it right and don't half *** it. No sense, IMHO, in spending money on a decent set of 3-way components only to put them in a subpar install. Might as well go the extra mile and set them up for the best imaging and soundstaging you can obtain.......once you hear the difference, you'll be glad that you did
    well, since ill have the speaks for a long time, at least im planning on it, do you think it would bebetter to just go ahead and get the 3 ways now and install them half assed and then doa better job when i have the time and money later?
    man i wish i had money to jsut spend all the time on this crap.



    refs (from sounddomain):gerald, resonant18, puppettmaster, steedaSVT, george diaz, minimum 40, blaze1foo, negative3five
    ca.com: foxpro5, cd6551, dgr00s, 95stroked1500, 00maxima, vipervenom18, alxmlr789, Killa Camry, GA95DCMSS, cyoung88, grimreper912003, 6spdcoupe, kraudio12, MHd2000, king nothing, stephens30228, mclerico83, hip3, mylows10, fieryhooligan, plyer3, 2lo2flo, trumpet, stereohead69, 99_olds_aurora

    diyma: bikinpunk, funkPnut, dman, joehemi57

    CACO:coolysteve, etznova, Nori808, lowbass, edouble101, p928gts1, rdlyn13000

Closed Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum