Closed Thread

Reload Thread: ok i give up

04silverz is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

ok i give up

i tried searching but found way too many results and with nothing that looked like the answer to what i want to know
    what would be the major difference in 3 way vs 2 way of the same set?
    how much of a diff does that 4" midrange make and if i'm someone who doesnt like a whole lot of "highs" or very "bright" sound should i stay away from a 3 way? or does it actually add more to the midbass since the 6.5 gets to be a dedicated mid?
    also i am planning on installing these in the door of a tahoe, waht would be the best way to install a 3 wayset?

refs (from sounddomain):gerald, resonant18, puppettmaster, steedaSVT, george diaz, minimum 40, blaze1foo, negative3five
    ca.com: foxpro5, cd6551, dgr00s, 95stroked1500, 00maxima, vipervenom18, alxmlr789, Killa Camry, GA95DCMSS, cyoung88, grimreper912003, 6spdcoupe, kraudio12, MHd2000, king nothing, stephens30228, mclerico83, hip3, mylows10, fieryhooligan, plyer3, 2lo2flo, trumpet, stereohead69, 99_olds_aurora

diyma: bikinpunk, funkPnut, dman, joehemi57

CACO:coolysteve, etznova, Nori808, lowbass, edouble101, p928gts1, rdlyn13000

brandontw is offline just some guy

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: ok i give up

Are you talking about a component set or a coaxial-type speaker.

The theory if that of you have a three-four-five-six-way(WTF pioneer???) speaker each speaker has less of a frequency range to reproduce so it can do it with less distortion, ect. But generally, it is not very benificial to have mor than a two way.

In a couple cases, there are component sets that come with three speakers (this must be what your referring too scince you mentions the 4" mid) i think JL, Audiobahn, and mabye someone else makes such a set, and i have heard ok things about them, but i think the cons outweigh the benifits, you have to find a place to mount that extra speaker, then worry about proper placement and imaging for all three speaks, while mounting a regular component set remains fairly simple and foolproof. If you really want to try them, i dont discourage you, but a two way set up will give you no loss in performance whatsoever.

camry_tuner is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

its a component set, and all the major speaker manufacturers make 3-way sets, just put the 6.5 midbass in the doors, and the midrange and the tweets in kickpanels, that IMO is the most basic placement for a 3-way front stage, or for some cars, fit all of them in the doors, if the space allows...

for the tahoe, you might be able to fit all 3 in the door, a lot of people on this forum have done that /w an SUV, check to see the space you have, and go from there...

as for pro and con about 2-way or 3-way, read the speaker tutorial, i dont really ahve any input or experience there

2008 Honda Fit Sport
    Work in Progress

Refs: flakko, cpierce, mega1268, cd6551, 2kchevy, backtofront001, stuckinok, xdavieexx, keefy248, james bang, and more

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 04silverz
    i tried searching but found way too many results and with nothing that looked like the answer to what i want to know
    what would be the major difference in 3 way vs 2 way of the same set?
    how much of a diff does that 4" midrange make and if i'm someone who doesnt like a whole lot of "highs" or very "bright" sound should i stay away from a 3 way? or does it actually add more to the midbass since the 6.5 gets to be a dedicated mid?
    also i am planning on installing these in the door of a tahoe, waht would be the best way to install a 3 wayset?
    The answer is actually stickied at the top of this section:

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showpo...30&postcount=2

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

sorry guys i forgot to read the stickies.

just curious, if i just slap the 3 ways in the door and dont really bother to set up the imaging on them, how much will i notice that? i mean i like my stuff to sound good and want it to sound best but im by no means an sq judge nor competing in that.
    what i mean is would it be slap in the face obvious or just not up to its full potential?

refs (from sounddomain):gerald, resonant18, puppettmaster, steedaSVT, george diaz, minimum 40, blaze1foo, negative3five
    ca.com: foxpro5, cd6551, dgr00s, 95stroked1500, 00maxima, vipervenom18, alxmlr789, Killa Camry, GA95DCMSS, cyoung88, grimreper912003, 6spdcoupe, kraudio12, MHd2000, king nothing, stephens30228, mclerico83, hip3, mylows10, fieryhooligan, plyer3, 2lo2flo, trumpet, stereohead69, 99_olds_aurora

springy101 is offline village idiot/racist

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

just curious, if i just slap the 3 ways in the door and dont really bother to set up the imaging on them, how much will i notice that? i mean i like my stuff to sound good and want it to sound best but im by no means an sq judge nor competing in that.
    what i mean is would it be slap in the face obvious or just not up to its full potential?
    well i guess im not much of an sq guy, but i cant hear the difference between $40 pioneers from walmart or $800 focal speakers

I must follow in eugenics' footsteps, for he is great

Ref's: Ebay

VOA_NIGHTMARE, Blados, frankga2, allenzo, bamaboy x2, Crown_amps, violentrapture, adio x3, bumpin_blazer, fi car audio, haunther, sbcaprice305 x2

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Depends on your level of critical listening, and what you're used to listening to.

Just tossing some 3-ways in the doors would probably sound "good" to 90% of the population (and possibly you)....but once you've experienced music that contains proper, or at least "pretty good", imaging......it's really hard to sit in your own vehicle (which has poor imaging) and still think it sounds even mediocre.

My personal advice...if you're going to do it, do it right and don't half *** it. No sense, IMHO, in spending money on a decent set of 3-way components only to put them in a subpar install. Might as well go the extra mile and set them up for the best imaging and soundstaging you can obtain.......once you hear the difference, you'll be glad that you did

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squeak9798
    Depends on your level of critical listening, and what you're used to listening to.

Just tossing some 3-ways in the doors would probably sound "good" to 90% of the population (and possibly you)....but once you've experienced music that contains proper, or at least "pretty good", imaging......it's really hard to sit in your own vehicle (which has poor imaging) and still think it sounds even mediocre.

My personal advice...if you're going to do it, do it right and don't half *** it. No sense, IMHO, in spending money on a decent set of 3-way components only to put them in a subpar install. Might as well go the extra mile and set them up for the best imaging and soundstaging you can obtain.......once you hear the difference, you'll be glad that you did
    well, since ill have the speaks for a long time, at least im planning on it, do you think it would bebetter to just go ahead and get the 3 ways now and install them half assed and then doa better job when i have the time and money later?
    man i wish i had money to jsut spend all the time on this crap.

Closed Thread