Closed Thread

Reload Thread: please help

ms9548 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

please help

hi... can someone please explain how speakers watts work, how many watt is loud enough for a hatchback, and what is the watt for headunits for?

Thankyou

Prowler573 is offline R.I.P. Gossamer!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: please help

Welcome to the forum. Whereabouts in Oz are you, if I may ask?

How speaker watts work....wow. I haven't seen a question at that novice of an experience level in a great long while! Let's see what we can do about getting you on the right track, shall we?

Different types/brands of speakers, just like all other products on the planet, have different levels of build quality. There are exceptions to every rule but a reasonable rule of thumb is that the better the speaker is built the higher the wattage level is that it can accept before it malfunctions. Wattage comes from an amplifier of some kind, whether the amplifier in question is the one that is built into the headunit or an outboard component amplifier.

Generally speaking the amplifier that is inbuilt in your headunit is pretty ill-suited to power any really quality speaker as the power levels (amount of wattage) produced by these types of amplifiers are pretty low when compared to most outboard amplifiers that are a completely separate unit from the stereo. Anything other than OEM speakers (the ones your car's manufacturer saw fit to provide) is normally better served by being powered by an outboard amplifier rather than the headunit.

As for how many watts is loud enough for a hatchback that's a very relative thing. For some people under 100 watts is more than sufficient. Other people are not satisfied until they are running 5,000+ or more. It all depends on what you're looking for that wattage to do for you.

As previously discussed the inbuilt amplifiers in your average headunit is poorly suited to truly do much for you outside of power factory speakers or really entry-level aftermarket speakers.

I have only barely touched the surface of the possibilities of how long this discussion could take place. There is simply too much information to provide to you at one shot. Most of us on this forum have been involved in the hobby for several years now and we are still learning everyday.

Here's a really good resource if you're truly wanting to learn: www.bcae1.com. Let me warn you there is STACKS of reading to be found on that site but it is well worth any time spent there when you're in possession of a novice's knowledge level.

Anything specific that confuses you after perusing that site for awhile we'll be happy to try and help as much as we can (but bear in mind we don't know it all either!)

Enjoy
    Last edited by Prowler573; 07-07-2006 at 02:19 PM.

Refs: [CA.com] [eBay.com]

ms9548 is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thank you for the information. I live in Victoria Australia..
    im thinking of getting a kenwood 180W headunit with 80 watt speakers. I dont really want to spend that much because its not a good car although i dont want the speakers to distort... thanks

digital mint is offline Open up

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Prowler my friend you are the man

Pioneer deh 860mp
    Sub. XXX15 4 cu @ 35hz
    Sub amp. orion 2500d
    ID Chameleons
    UsAmps Merlin MD-22
    180 amp HO alt.
    Yellowtop.
    Big 3.

REF. Starky, iceteebone, wedge, tynee, H2Camaro, jrz126, Jordantyler, theCybe, zachzchw, whoaa, dimebag-1966-20, wj94, AcidicDreams, Flakko, Toxic tuan, ~Magick_Man~, MatthewR6

Ebay Masterme0

Closed Thread