Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: egg shell foam

bdavies11 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

egg shell foam

Last week i posted here about an alternative to dynamat and some of u guys recommended egg shell foam. I was all ready to give a shot but the guy at the sound shop warned me that the material could break down over time due to the heat and have a real mess. I live in florida and in the summer its usually in the mid 90's and im sure the temperature inside my car reaches up to 130*F. So what do u guys think? Would i have a problem on my hands later on down the road with this stuff breaking down due to the extreme heat?

psyrex is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: egg shell foam

Find an eggshell foam that has mechanical properties that survive the conditions where you live? It's not like they're all the same. Find the specs (call the manufacturer if need be), and see if it fits you.

937DYTBOI is offline TL>you

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well i jus installed sum expanda foam in my trunk made by DAP and it worked great i dont see how it will break down its made to withsatnd the heat and cold, im also going to apply my secondskin also

My Goal

nferra2 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Did anyone recomend raamat. It is much cheaper than Dynomat, and is made out of a better material. Second skin is good too, but I think it is more expensive than the Raamat.

Gary S is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I lined my Camaro with the cheap 1" thick white open-cell foam rubber in 1996. It still looks like new.

UV rays break it down... if you place some in the interior of the car exposed to direct sunlight, it will turn to dust within a year.

Hidden behind panels and carpet, it will be as good as new when you trade in your car.

That stuff is the best bang for the buck. Go for it.

Dunerider5 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

foam rubber?

937DYTBOI is offline TL>you

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

naw its the stuff that they usually seal windows in houses with to keep the windows air tight

My Goal

wesl56 is offline el sietes!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 937DYTBOI
    well i jus installed sum expanda foam in my trunk made by DAP and it worked great i dont see how it will break down its made to withsatnd the heat and cold, im also going to apply my secondskin also
    hey are you talking about that yellowish crap that comes in a spray can? that really made a difference? i need something to fill/dampen my trunk lid as its hollow fiberglass and rattles like mad...

there is no way to seperate the two pieces to put a mat inside so i was looking for something like that i could just spray in there

CBFryman2 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nferra2
    Did anyone recomend raamat. It is much cheaper than Dynomat, and is made out of a better material. Second skin is good too, but I think it is more expensive than the Raamat.
    RAAMat will fall off long before second skin will. It doesnt apply as easy either.

Second Skin FTW.

on the head to head test i think Damplifier stayed on past 300 degrees.

Gary S is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Foam rubber is the same as egg carton foam.

iagrdshaka is offline Down with jimmy hats

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBFryman2
    RAAMat will fall off long before second skin will. It doesnt apply as easy either.
    ohh so you personally compared both of these mats in your truck, waited a few years and came up with those results?

REFS: Vincent9515, snoopdan, delvryboy, pyro719, teamsubgopoof, coolahan, Toxic Tuan

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBFryman2

Second Skin FTW.

on the head to head test i think Damplifier stayed on past 300 degrees.
    Unless you are traveling to the center of the earth, both of them will stay applied adequately and can sustain the levels of heat found in an automotive enviornment.

RAAMmat FTW.

Best value on the market, bar none. Excellent performance at an excellent price. Used both Raammat and Second Skin Damplifier....liked my RAAMmat better.

Plus I don't have a problem supporting someone as great as Rick. A++ customer service, and he's extremely knowledgeable in all aspects of audio.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But, I'm confused what this thread is about? Is this about foam products (i.e. barrier loads, designed to reflect/absorb sound waves) or about deadening mat (i.e. mass loads, designed to stop rattles/resonances)? Because they are two different things, serving two different purposes.

CrazedCat is offline Right boot. Got it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought egg shell foam was used for soundproofing rooms whereas Dynamat, SecondSkin, etc. is used to add weight and deaden the interior of cars to prevent rattling and improve bass response. Am I wrong?

330i
    Eclipse | Dynaudio | Zapco | RE

refs
    3.5Max6spd, 6spdcoupe, nismos14, Drunkship, lost1700, spike_e, rcnshoe, djdilliodon, Flossinon24S, lslugz, kinglowlife, blazeplacid

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazedCat
    I thought egg shell foam was used for soundproofing rooms whereas Dynamat, SecondSkin, etc. is used to add weight and deaden the interior of cars to prevent rattling and improve bass response. Am I wrong?
    You're wrong, but not totally wrong.

While mat deadeners are used on panels to stiffen the panel and remove resonances (mass loading), foams and deflex pads are used to absorb/disperse the sound waves in a vehicle just the same as they are in a room. Can make a very noticeable difference in the midrange response of a speaker by adding foam or deflex pads behind the speaker so that the soundwaves created behind the speaker are not reflected directly back to the speaker. Likewise, the foam is/can be used within the vehicle to control reflections, such as "underdash pads" for people using kickpanels.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast