Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

New Member - I Need Some Help

I am trying to decide on a new comp set. Right now I am running Dyn 2 ways. I have had these for a year now and they just are not doing it for me anymore. Don't get me wrong they are fantastic speakers, but they are just too laid back for the majority of music that I listen to, house and techno.

I have come the realization that I want a more aggressive front stage. I thought I was into SQ, but the very few cars that I have heard that were aimed torward SQ sounded dull and boring to me. They did stage really well though. I want to be able to recreate the sound of night club with a really good gound system in my car. Think EAW, Function One or Phazon if you know what those are. I am there with my sub bass.

Now I know everyone is going to say to go out and listen to all the comps you can before you make a decision. Well, not very many shops have high end comps set up that you can listen to on a sound board let alone in an actual car.

I spoke to my dealer yesterday and told him what sound I wanted from a comp set. This guy deals with pretty much every major brand there is, he sold me the Dyns, and his suggestion without hessitation was the Focal 165K2P's. Well of course he did not have them set up for me to listen to.

So yesterday after work I went to a few shops to listen to some sets. Morel and DLS sound to much like the DYN's to me. Two of the shops that I went to are Focal dealers, but neither of them had the K2Ps set up. They both had the 165KPs set up though. I thought these were pretty **** good. These have that agressive sound that I am looking for. I have read several places that the tweet is ear bleeding bright. Well I did not hear that.

So after listening to these and reading the comparisions on here to Rainbow's Profi line I am torn as to which set to get.

Does the Rainbow have that same aggressive sound that the Focal's have?

If you have stuck through and read all this, I appreciate it.

Expy2K is offline Saltwater Fishing God

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: New Member - I Need Some Help

Ya the TN-52 tweet is a mad killer..

I had this set a few years ago, they weren't that bad. Great for Rock and Trance tho..

mmmm I ran my at around 120rms and it was just about right.

The Diamond Hex s600s are pretty close, with the alum. tweeter not the silk one.

but you might want to hear them, I believed they have changed the tweets and design since I last owned them.

Yo necisito un signature nuevo!! Expy Lives!

3.5Max6spd is offline yo mama no wear no draws

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eqsandleds
    I am trying to decide on a new comp set. Right now I am running Dyn 2 ways. I have had these for a year now and they just are not doing it for me anymore. Don't get me wrong they are fantastic speakers, but they are just too laid back for the majority of music that I listen to, house and techno.

I have come the realization that I want a more aggressive front stage. I thought I was into SQ, but the very few cars that I have heard that were aimed torward SQ sounded dull and boring to me. They did stage really well though. I want to be able to recreate the sound of night club with a really good gound system in my car. Think EAW, Function One or Phazon if you know what those are. I am there with my sub bass.

Now I know everyone is going to say to go out and listen to all the comps you can before you make a decision. Well, not very many shops have high end comps set up that you can listen to on a sound board let alone in an actual car.

I spoke to my dealer yesterday and told him what sound I wanted from a comp set. This guy deals with pretty much every major brand there is, he sold me the Dyns, and his suggestion without hessitation was the Focal 165K2P's. Well of course he did not have them set up for me to listen to.

So yesterday after work I went to a few shops to listen to some sets. Morel and DLS sound to much like the DYN's to me. Two of the shops that I went to are Focal dealers, but neither of them had the K2Ps set up. They both had the 165KPs set up though. I thought these were pretty **** good. These have that agressive sound that I am looking for. I have read several places that the tweet is ear bleeding bright. Well I did not hear that.

So after listening to these and reading the comparisions on here to Rainbow's Profi line I am torn as to which set to get.

Does the Rainbow have that same aggressive sound that the Focal's have?

If you have stuck through and read all this, I appreciate it.
    To compare to the K2P, I say the Rainbow Vanadium Kickbass- and your ears will thank you later for it - it has smoother timbre, less spitty and at lower volumes wont be unbearable. Sounds GREAT with the type of music you listen to, great speech intelligibility, high frequency rolloff is pretty nice on the Cal26 titanium- just about how I'd want it for a hard dome. It can get loud,, dynamic, and handle the heavy musical passages of trance/techno/house very well.

To be honest,I'm not a fan of metal tweeters, for the range of music i listen to it simply does not have the softer, earthy character for most music. But If my main listening preference was that of yours, this is exactly the set I'd be looking to do the Job. Another great set is the Seas Reference set, tweeter is pretty nice too, but quite honestly I dunno that the mid can handle the volume and excessive musical content the K2P's can with that type of music without hearing some tinsel slap. Its more of an traditional SQ set, where you appreciate detail at lower to moderate volumes.

Other than that, it sounds you like the K2P's alot. If its truly what you want, go with your gut.

rainbow....homemade sounds best
    DYNAUDIO E S O T E C....Mobile Fidelity

Panasonic Vacuum Tube
    TRU Technology SSLD6
    TRU Technology STEEL S44 & S500
    DYNAUDIO Esotec System 362
    Dynaudio MW190 12" (x2) IB
    Stinger Expert/Esoteric Audio Isopath/Cascade

Refs-NE14MX , jdavis37, anarchy57, mj121983 , ll kadoy ll, TheBigDu , cdj ,Kawasaki STX-R ,Fdeez ,Ksin291,meangta, lil azn 06, HAVINGFUN, Loud1500, Flipx99 , jjunior887 ,mastarecoil ,slammed , T3mpest ,westerbud, Airman21, bconn587, LexNBimmer,namike, alphakenny1, HebrewHammer,chadillac,remiserg, purerx7tt, OCURIEL, coneO,Igno,Iluvzmzm,godzukiduce,CrazedCat,skylar11 2,
    bose301s,qwertvt

eqsandleds is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 3.5Max6spd

Other than that, it sounds you like the K2P's alot. If its truly what you want, go with your gut.
    I appreciate the comments bro, that's why I asked. I know far to well that listening to something on a sound board for a few minutes is way different than living with them in your car. I am very sketchy about going to a hard dome tweet trust me. I have only ever had silks.

Does the brightness of metal dome relate a lot to install and tuning? I would think they would be real bright say in the top of a door panel or the sail. My factory locations for the tweet are pretty good. Far corners of the dash and they actually fire to the general location of the dome light and not into the windshield. My stage with the dyn's is just outside the pillar on both sides and just above the dash. The stage does pull in to the left on some passages.

With that location in mind would that not take away some of the brightness as they are pretty much as far away as they can get? By ditching the passive and going active can they be tamed even more?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

At that location, while still far away you will still suffer from reflection issues, from the windshield, . So what you want is to have good off axis response so that you catch the sweet spot of the tweeter, not nescessarily that off on axis response. I know the Cal26 can manage that kind of location with good results, I'm not familiar with working with the TN tweets. Those dash/windshield pin pong reflections can be eliminated with a dashmat/pad. Your locations however will limit your stage width of that between the pillars likely, but more than likely make it for it depthwise.
    Do you have ample tuning available? T/a?EQ?

Panasonic Vacuum Tube
    TRU Technology SSLD6

Refs-NE14MX , jdavis37, anarchy57, mj121983 , ll kadoy ll, TheBigDu , cdj ,Kawasaki STX-R ,Fdeez ,Ksin291,meangta, lil azn 06, HAVINGFUN, Loud1500, Flipx99 , jjunior887 ,mastarecoil ,slammed , T3mpest ,westerbud, Airman21, bconn587, LexNBimmer,namike, alphakenny1, HebrewHammer,chadillac,remiserg, purerx7tt, OCURIEL, coneO,Igno,Iluvzmzm,godzukiduce,CrazedCat,skylar11 2,
    bose301s,qwertvt

eqsandleds is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have an Eclipse CD8454 and the four channels of the Arc 4150XXK to run active. I set my car up to run active when I wired it. Three sets of RCAs to the back and four speaker wire runs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eqsandleds
    I have an Eclipse CD8454 and the four channels of the Arc 4150XXK to run active. I set my car up to run active when I wired it. Three sets of RCAs to the back and four speaker wire runs.
    Sounds like you are ready to boogie. You have 5 bands to work with on the tweeters-which ever you choose thats more than sufficient.

Panasonic Vacuum Tube
    TRU Technology SSLD6

bose301s,qwertvt

theothermike is offline I HAVE NO LIFE, CA = LIFE

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

rainbow powerline cs sounds like it is a fast loud comp set. And it a lil more in ur face then a lot of other rainbows. Power handling unreal on the set. Beefy midbass driver. 6.9 diameter, cal 27 tweet i believe.

Id say that ur best best. but it looks costy around 700-800 i think

Mike

System:
    Fronts:ID Oem's & TBI Hdss Front Amps: Sundown Sax 100.2 & 100.4
    Subwoofer: 2x 12" Fi X D4s Sub Amps: Sundown Saz 1500D
    Headunit: Alpine CDA-9887 Batteries / Alternator: Powermaster / Mechman
    Deadener: Raamat BXT Ensolite Alarm: Clifford 50.5x
    References:
    -Premieraudio-Sundownz-Iamamp3pimp-Kpr10is-Jmanpc- MemphisLove-Greekpower-The 727 Kid-Gixxer9-Mobieous-Audiobahnuser18-Thewes-Steveyhustle-Gymfreak101-go_go_thrash

Closed Thread

User Tag List