Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

help me with imaging

ok, this is my interior:

i have CDT HD62 CV Components with the main tweeters and imaging tweeters. i am wanting to produce the best imaging with this setup. CDTs website likes the main tweeter low and the imagin tweeter facing the windshield. what do you guys think?

the main tweeter does not produce the best sound, so i no longer really want it in my face. i can put it lower on the door. then what about the imaging tweet? shoud i point it toward the windshield, or toward me, or what?

i know it should be "see how it sounds and put them where you like it", but im looking for a more standard answer to base on.

thanks

FOR SALE:Kicker 350.4 = $140 shipped, Eclipse AVN7000 = $500 shipped, Eclipse XA1000= $120 shipped, Eclipse SP6500 = $120 shipped, Eclipse SW7200 = $120 for one,$200 for two shipped, [I]

New Project: 2005 Corvette Z51: 19/20 OZ Superleggerra II Powdercoated Metallic Blackwith Metallic RedLip, Conti Extreme DW Tires, Z06 Widebody Conversion, Briiant Black Metallic Paint Job, Caravaggio Front Bumper, MCM Carbon Fiber Hood, Kooks Headers, Corsa Exhaust, Stoptech/Z06 Brakes, Bilstein Shocks,.....now onto the Interior and Stereo.
    References: Ebay username: 'm48xhp', Bought from on CA.com: 'Daniel', 'pickup1'

rocky 59 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: help me with imaging

see how you like it in the kicks and piont it up towards you. and if your reflecting off the windshield thats why its horrible.

ps-try adujusting the gain and tunr it down a little to see if that helps. and just woundering whats it crossed at? and where the db's set on the passive xover?

refs- 80 inches, bumpn_gt, hot Carl,alphakenny1,zenkar, Bring97,dleccord,GemaRastem,cyantist,ill-faded, livin life, bjfish11, bodega bay,spy,jamesw,JBLCAMRY
    feedback thread- http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showth...72#post1598072

Truck build log-http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=400050

m48xhp is offline Project Corvette

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocky 59
    see how you like it in the kicks and piont it up towards you. and if your reflecting off the windshield thats why its horrible.

ps-try adujusting the gain and tunr it down a little to see if that helps. and just woundering whats it crossed at? and where the db's set on the passive xover?
    the imagers pointed at the windshield sound fine, its the crossover channel of 'main tweet' that sound less clear, but it is not meant for just one tweet as the comp instructions say. the gains are quite a bit down, the are not distorting or anything. crossed at 63 and 18db on the deck and down around 60 on the amp. the mids sound great there, i have no problem with them.

im mainly just looking for the best location for the two sets of tweeters.

FOR SALE:Kicker 350.4 = $140 shipped, Eclipse AVN7000 = $500 shipped, Eclipse XA1000= $120 shipped, Eclipse SP6500 = $120 shipped, Eclipse SW7200 = $120 for one,$200 for two shipped, [I]

New Project: 2005 Corvette Z51: 19/20 OZ Superleggerra II Powdercoated Metallic Blackwith Metallic RedLip, Conti Extreme DW Tires, Z06 Widebody Conversion, Briiant Black Metallic Paint Job, Caravaggio Front Bumper, MCM Carbon Fiber Hood, Kooks Headers, Corsa Exhaust, Stoptech/Z06 Brakes, Bilstein Shocks,.....now onto the Interior and Stereo.
    References: Ebay username: 'm48xhp', Bought from on CA.com: 'Daniel', 'pickup1'

Gary S is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

It's my understanding that those additional tweeters are supposed to help with imaging by raising the soundstage.

Here is the idea... in most installs, the front satellite speakers are optimally installed low in the kick pannels... in practice, you get a rainbow effect with this low speaker placement... when a sound is only heard in one speaker on one side, the sound "drops" toward the floor... naturally... that's where the speaker is located!

The add-on tweeters are supposed to lift the extreme left and right ends of the soundstage up closer to eye or dash level.... because most of the highest frequencies are in stereo, this allows you to use only tweeters to accomplish this.

It's really pretty simple how it works... the second sound you hear from the add-on tweeters fools your brain... you think all the sound came from the direction of the high mounted add on tweeters.

The results are going to be highly dependent on speaker placement and aiming, and may vary widely from install to install.

I don't know how well it will fix rainbow effect with door mounted speakers... might work better for kick installed components. Anyway, for best results, aim them at the windshield so that the apparent sound coming from the imaging tweeters seems to come from the front windshield between the driver and passenger... not from the pillars or doors.
    Last edited by Gary S; 06-28-2006 at 04:30 AM.

Decipha is offline www.EFI Dyno Tuning.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

mouth the tweet as close to the mid as possible, the tweet being closer to the woofer will make the sound stage sound wider

supercoupe enthusiast x9

alphakenny1 is offline LOTUS FTW!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

yes as gary s stated, the extra set of tweets are designed to raise the sound stage. most people who have upstage tweets generally have their tweets in the apillars and other set in kicks.

also it depends how well the on/off axis response of the tweeters are. if they perform better on axis then you should pt the tweet more towards as much as possible. if the tweet has both good on/off axis response then you have more flexbility on aiming. but its all up to you. play w/ some locations that sounds best to you.

W200/H701
    Dyn MW160/Lotus RM110/Seas Neo Alum/Idmax
    Alpine PDX

References
    RoudyruffKK, mattmcss, BLD 25, 02corvette
    bjfish11 ,slain93gsr, DJGTSR, flakko, FoxPro5
    2.2l integra, rawdogj, guy022077, bumpn_gt
    lowlinc, rocky 59, alann, ECA, DIYMA

bay area people need some custom work done? pm me. here's some work that we've done:
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/151662/1
    http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...man52/Install/
    http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=76937

helotaxi is offline Kilroy was Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by m48xhp
    the imagers pointed at the windshield sound fine, its the crossover channel of 'main tweet' that sound less clear, but it is not meant for just one tweet as the comp instructions say.
    Huh?

Do you have both sets of tweets running off the passive crossover that came with the basic comp set? If so, that is why the tweets don't soungd very clear. The crossover is designed for the impedance of a single tweet. By adding another tweet on to that output, you have shifted the crossover freq and messed up the response of the system. The Upstage set has a dedicated filter that is wired in parallel to the input to the component crossover coming from the amp, not the tweeter output of the crossover.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Life's tough...it's even tougher when you're stupid.

Decipha is offline www.EFI Dyno Tuning.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

helo taxi

supercoupe enthusiast x9

Closed Thread