Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just installed my MB Quart QSC 216's...REVIEW

Well, I just installed them about an hour ago at work. Here is my review...

They have a very nice sharp sound like I like, and the hi's get very loud.
    I have them wired to an Alpine F545 which the birthsheet read 165x4@4. I have them wired at 4 ohms, and the gain is on .8 out of 4.0 (lower the # on the gain, higher the volume)

The midbass isnt to great, i had to turn the bass gain on my head unit up a good amount to even get good sound out of the midbass, but I really dont care to much about it. Im more of a fan of just loud vocals and sharp hi's. it seems like most of the vocals are coming from the tweet though...is this normal...i thought most vocal came through mids. Another thing is the tweeters didnt come with a tweeter mount where it gives a little angle for a top dash mount as you will see in the pics. I just had to face them up at the window...which is fine since they are so sharp.

Well I can say I get 1/2 here. The vocals just dont seem to keep up with the bass still!! I have to say im pretty disappointed, because besides that I love the way they sound.

The HP filter is on crossover is wired to -3db. Crossover is set to 80 Hz.

I might put them up for sale later tonight if I cant fix this problem, and give the Boston Pro's a try. this *****.

Last edited by snb778; 06-26-2006 at 08:32 PM.

Refs: Projectpat, XylerB, decipha, blados, protonman, Wlmrs, Nucleareskimo, gl0ck, mobeious, JBizzle (picked up box) mlstrass (box design) Mazzasec (bought 18" RD Alpha from him) SKMFKR: Traded subs Wrenchguy: Sold 18" Q to him. psychoacoustics: bought some bullet horn tweets from him Shinju: bought some 0awg wire from him. Sold a box and 18" HDC318 to chitown_impala. Bought my 2 custom 15's from 99Vic on steave meade forum. NJTStang11- picked up 18" SSX and box from him krispy cream SCAMMED ME $200!!!

2 Pistol Shrimps in a 4.0 cu^ft box tuned to 32 hz for the WIN !!

"You can't compare, don't stare, cause I got the ultimate Mary Jane"

FoxPro5 is offline Causal wanderer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Re: Just installed my MB Quart QSC 216's...REVIEW

I wouldn't give up just yet...too many factors that need to be addressed. How did you set your gain? It sound's like it's cranked.

Those speakers sound way better if they are not pointed right at you. I also wouldn't put a metal dome next to the windshied like that....too much reflection and comb filtering going on. Also try an attenuate the tweet to -6db and see what happens.

Did you have them bi-amped with the 545? Maybe try that to control the tweeter level better. Also try lowering the HP to 60,63 Hz and see if that brings the bass up front more.

Make some corrections and just listen to them without the subs playing. Try just the tweeter and then just the mid and see if you can get both set up properly. It's taken me week or months until I've settled on a mounting location for my tweeters.

TEAM Front Fill

The Fox audiomobile now sounds more quality thanks to SDS power.

The most expensive solution is the one that doesn't do the job correctly. ~ Me

snb778 is offline blaugh!!!!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

See i dont have a problem with the midbass right now...unless they are really really good mids that give a ton of midbass, i could live with the crossover at 120..like they were with my type R comps, so thats fine where its at. The Tweets I love. I love loud sharp sound, so i dont have a problem with that either....its just the vocals really... The mids are pointed right at me in the kick...but they are what seem to be slacking....

No they are not bi-amped. they are just wired direct.

and yes...the gain is like 3 setting away from cranked...its at .8 and goes down to .2 i believe. I could wire them to 2 ohms, but then thats rated 250x4...actually probably around 275x4...and the speakers are rated at 80-150...so I think they should be fine at 4 ohms...no?

I have heard the Boston pros and i loved them...but it was in a car with no bass really, so I have nothing to compare it with....When i was tuning it, they sounded loud...i thought they would be fine, but I started bumpin Paul Wall "internet goin nuts" and the lyrics were gettin drowned out pretty well.

Refs: Projectpat, XylerB, decipha, blados, protonman, Wlmrs, Nucleareskimo, gl0ck, mobeious, JBizzle (picked up box) mlstrass (box design) Mazzasec (bought 18" RD Alpha from him) SKMFKR: Traded subs Wrenchguy: Sold 18" Q to him. psychoacoustics: bought some bullet horn tweets from him Shinju: bought some 0awg wire from him. Sold a box and 18" HDC318 to chitown_impala. Bought my 2 custom 15's from 99Vic on steave meade forum. NJTStang11- picked up 18" SSX and box from him krispy cream SCAMMED ME $200!!!

FoxPro5 is offline Causal wanderer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snb778
    and yes...the gain is like 3 setting away from cranked...its at .8 and goes down to .2 i believe. I could wire them to 2 ohms, but then thats rated 250x4...actually probably around 275x4...and the speakers are rated at 80-150...so I think they should be fine at 4 ohms...no?
    I wouldn't wire a set of components in parallel to get more power to them. Bridge your amp instead and turn the gain all the way down....it's not a volume knob!! What is the preout votage on your HU???

I have heard the Boston pros and i loved them...but it was in a car with no bass really, so I have nothing to compare it with....When i was tuning it, they sounded loud...i thought they would be fine, but I started bumpin Paul Wall "internet goin nuts" and the lyrics were gettin drowned out pretty well.
    Turn the bass down!! If you set your system up correctly, you shouldn't hear your bass....it should be part of the music. Swithing to Boston Pro's isn't going to solve your problems.

TEAM Front Fill

The Fox audiomobile now sounds more quality thanks to SDS power.

The most expensive solution is the one that doesn't do the job correctly. ~ Me

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FoxPro5
    I wouldn't wire a set of components in parallel to get more power to them. Bridge your amp instead and turn the gain all the way down....it's not a volume knob!! What is the preout votage on your HU???

Thats what I meant...but they are going to be seeing around 225-250...which is probably to much

Turn the bass down!! If you set your system up correctly, you shouldn't hear your bass....it should be part of the music. Swithing to Boston Pro's isn't going to solve your problems.
    Im thinking about upgrading my 2 12's now to 2 15's..I love bass...its the main part of my system...its why I love car audio...BUT, I also like to hear the music...I want my front stage now...to be able to shine with these 2 12's..more less 15's...and I thought these speakers would do that with no problem.

Its like if my front stage was overpowering the subs (not to loud, just overpowering)...people would say turn the bass up....I want to turn the mids/vocals up...or upgrade...but as far as MB-Q goes...there is no more...this is the most they got.

SO with out turning the bass down, i want to resolve this problem. You really think wiring them to 2 ohms wont be to much power?

Starky is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Mess around with them for awhile, if you can't get them right, I have plenty of Cheap Top of the Line Boston Speakers, I need to get rid of

3.5Max6spd is offline yo mama no wear no draws

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You need MORE speakers to keep up with your bass tastes. It doesnt sound to me any which component set can just do it for you. Forget aboutr SQ or staging for that matter, something tells me its not your thing anyways.

rainbow....homemade sounds best
    DYNAUDIO E S O T E C....Mobile Fidelity

Panasonic Vacuum Tube
    TRU Technology SSLD6
    TRU Technology STEEL S44 & S500
    DYNAUDIO Esotec System 362
    Dynaudio MW190 12" (x2) IB
    Stinger Expert/Esoteric Audio Isopath/Cascade

Refs-NE14MX , jdavis37, anarchy57, mj121983 , ll kadoy ll, TheBigDu , cdj ,Kawasaki STX-R ,Fdeez ,Ksin291,meangta, lil azn 06, HAVINGFUN, Loud1500, Flipx99 , jjunior887 ,mastarecoil ,slammed , T3mpest ,westerbud, Airman21, bconn587, LexNBimmer,namike, alphakenny1, HebrewHammer,chadillac,remiserg, purerx7tt, OCURIEL, coneO,Igno,Iluvzmzm,godzukiduce,CrazedCat,skylar11 2,
    bose301s,qwertvt

Hundreth is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snb778
    Im thinking about upgrading my 2 12's now to 2 15's..I love bass...its the main part of my system...its why I love car audio...BUT, I also like to hear the music...I want my front stage now...to be able to shine with these 2 12's..more less 15's...and I thought these speakers would do that with no problem.

Its like if my front stage was overpowering the subs (not to loud, just overpowering)...people would say turn the bass up....I want to turn the mids/vocals up...or upgrade...but as far as MB-Q goes...there is no more...this is the most they got.

SO with out turning the bass down, i want to resolve this problem. You really think wiring them to 2 ohms wont be to much power?
    Sounds to me like all you need to do is lower the gain on the sub amp and raise the VOLUME.

My car audio addiction will be complete when my system sounds as good as my $20 headphones.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 3.5Max6spd
    You need MORE speakers to keep up with your bass tastes. It doesnt sound to me any which component set can just do it for you. Forget aboutr SQ or staging for that matter, something tells me its not your thing anyways.

See, when I had MORE speakers...everyone told me I dont need that many in the first place...everyyyyyyyyyone told me I just need a better pair...Now I have them...a MUCH better pair...and im still having problems.

and im not turning down the bass... There are plenty of people out there that have systems as loud as mine, and louder, who have front stage speakers that keep up with their bass. Anyone have a 145-150db daily system that has a good sounding front stage???????????????

I somehow have to figure out how to turn up the mids/vocals.....I think if i had a 5 channel amp and a center channel speaker that would definitely solve the problem, but to do that I need a new amp, and a new head unit...which im completely not ready to do. Im worried what Im going to need when I upgrage my subs to 15's....then the way I look at it now...im screwed...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starky
    Mess around with them for awhile, if you can't get them right, I have plenty of Cheap Top of the Line Boston Speakers, I need to get rid of
    what kind do you have?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Boston z6's and Boston Pro 6.4...stick a couple 400 watts on either of those bad boys and you got one loudass system

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

are the 6.4's the pro60's? and whats the diff in the pros 60's and the z6's?? been trying to figure that out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Z6's are Bostons Top of the Line Speakers...im pretty sure The 6.4 Were Bostons top of the line Speakers a few years back (until the 6.5 (though only cosmetically different) and Z6's came out)....both have Amazing Sound Quality, both Very Crystal clear and sharp

Boston Pro 60's

Boston Z6's

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ahhh, so they are both comp sets... my amp is only 250x4@2 ohms so I dont think I could power the Z6's from what everyone says...even though they are rated from 40-400 watts..hahah...but the pro60's say rms is 125....I dont see how people are throwing 300 watts on those.

I just really need to hear them...but I dont want to use these MBQ's to long if im going to sell them...thats my big problem now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

what is that amp Bridged? and dont forget these speakers are 3ohm

Closed Thread