Closed Thread

Reload Thread: What's the best set of speakers I can power from a headunit like the DEH-P880?

yacoub is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What's the best set of speakers I can power from a headunit like the DEH-P880?

update: have all the answers I need. thanks for the input.
    Last edited by yacoub; 06-23-2006 at 11:06 PM.

takeabao is offline Audiophile

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: What's the best set of speakers I can power from a headunit like the DEH-P880?

Don't run components off the HU... get an amp.

yacoub is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: What's the best set of speakers I can power from a headunit like the DEH-P880?

So in the meantime since I'm not getting an external amp, what are good speakers to get to power off the HU?

revrider1 is offline Hmmm...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I wouldnt run anything of the HU unless you dont care how they are going to sound...

nferra2 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

polks are fairly effecient, try some db's

yne721 is offline SWINE FLU!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

if it's just a temporary thing, then what's wrong with stock?

Давайте познакомимся

yacoub is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The stock is a mess. It misses entire bands of frequencies and the highs are shrill because the stock tweeters are at the front edge of where the windshield meets the dash and pointed up at the windshield. There is also no practical way to fix those items without getting a better HU and better speakers, probably coaxially mounted in the doors and leaving the silly stock tweeter mounting positions empty.

I really don't want to get involved with amps and all that but I know I'll probably have to.

For one, I would love to just buy a nice headunit and some nice speakers and be done with it all for under $750 ($450 for the DEH-P880 + whatever speakers end up being, "dynamat" for the doors, wire, harness, etc).

For another, I don't want to struggle to install it all myself but I don't trust Tweeter to do a proper job with every aspect of installing a system in my car. Maybe I'm paranoid but I would expect them to try to cut corners and do a mediocre job. It's just a job for the installer, not his own car, so why should he care to do everything right?

Another thing is that I would want Second Skin dampener in the doors, not Dynamat which is all Tweeter sells AFAIK. I might be moving to a very hot climate and Second Skin holds up like a champ in extreme heat.

I also don't want to start adding amps because then I'm messing with the electrical system of the car where as a simple headunit swap involves no additional power wires running to the engine compartment battery, etc. If I need warranty work done on the car it's one less potential hassle to have to argue over if I haven't messed with the electrical system. If I add an amp like a JL 300/2 and then if I got a sub and an amp to power that, I'd start to worry about added wear on the alternator and drain on the battery, etc.

It's my daily driver, that's why I'm really picky about it all. Plus it's a Civic. I'm sure it's easy to break into and if things get stolen I wouldn't feel anywhere near as bad if it was just some speakers and the HU and not expensive component speakers and a nice amp.

revrider1 is offline Hmmm...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Just get Pioneer 2-ways of 3-ways, if simply want to replace them for the meantime. They probably wont sound that great without external power...

yacoub is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

nferra2 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Again, go with the polks, But for $750 you can get so much more than a head unit and speakers. I got all of this for under $800

Eclipse CD3000
    Rainbow Soundline SLC's
    2- Usamps I/S 2080's (wanted the 4085, got deal 2-2080's for same price)
    ID12 v3 D2
    1.25 cf sealed sub box ( i will replace with fiberglass when I have time)
    1 roll of Raamat, 4yds Ensolite, and the spray glue (RICK IS GREAT)
    Dash kits, harnesses, knu amp kit, distroblocks, and misc incidentals

If you really want to go with the easier route, I would look at another deck and Get some DB's, I had some 6.5 db's in my tundra for about a year powered off the deck and they sounded ok. Suprising midbass for what they were and how they were powered.

Cubed1 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yacoub
    What's the best set of speakers that are reasonable to power from a headunit? For example, the DEH-P800 which claims to offer 22W x 4 Continous Power.

I would want a pair of mids & tweeters (components) or similar two-ways.

Down the line I'll pick up a nice set of component speakers and an amp, but in the meantime, what is going to be the best way to go for speakers to run off the HU?
    I can't believe any of you guys answered his question.

yacoub is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

thanks for that valuable post

Closed Thread

User Tag List