Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Noob looking for opinions

Jeeppowr is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Noob looking for opinions

Hey all, I'm doing my first real upgrade. I've got a '03 WRX, and this is my idea:

-Infinity 6000CS 6.5" components for the front
    -RF FRC3205 5.25" 2 way for the rear
    -Pioneer 300x4 amp for the cabin
    -2 Elemental designs 9kv.2 8" 4ohm subs for the trunk powered by either a
    -Pioneer gm-320t or Rockwood 365crx 300W bridged amp

This will be running off the (crappy, I know) stock deck until I can afford a better deck with an in-dash 6 disc changer. I'll probably keep the dinky factory sub going until I swap decks later.

Keep in mind that I've swapped a pair of speakers or two in my day, added a subwoofer here or there, but never really did a SYSTEM before. Some of you will undoubtedly cringe at my ideas, but I'm just posting to learn, so your input is welcome. I'm not looking to win any competition, just to be happy with my system. I will obviously learn how to do it better in the future, but I want to avoid wasting my time on crap, or performing a glaring error.

Big Q: are the Infinity CS and the RF 2ways going to get along together? Should I stick to one brand? I got great deals on used, group buy new, and ebay stuff. All together about $300.

I plan to get "bass blockers" to the cab speakers, and foam baffles, tight mount the door speakers with homemade 3/4" MDF speaker rings, build custom sub boxex, use good wires, and do some soundproofing. Thanks in advance for the thoughts.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Noob looking for opinions

Come on guys, help a dude out with some thoughts? PLEASE?!

Patrick Simmons is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would go with Infinity Comps all around instead of mixing brands. Good sub but need a different amp (definately not Rockwood). Your system will only sound as good as your weakest link, which is your headunit. I would suggest getting a nice deck first, then components and work the rest from there. Just my opinion.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thankyou very much! I'm a little concerned about mixing brands, as I'm new to this all. What would you recommend for an amp? Budget is an important consideration, but no sense in buying crap.

The eD website suggested a power handling in the neighborhood of 200-300W each RMS. I know it's better to overdrive, than underdrive, but seems like these subs do well without big power numbers. I was going to bridge a 2 channel amp to run these wired to provide a 4ohm load (both speakers wired parallel). Suggestions?

Also, would you run comps all around, or mix it with some simple 2 ways in the back for the whole soundstage balance argument? Maybe some simple Infinity 2 ways would better complement the comps in the front, and still maximize my budget? I can always through the Rockwood and RF speaks in my Jeep with my other single 8" sub. It's nice to recycle.

Really appreciate any advice...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Morning Bump...

Closed Thread