Closed Thread

Reload Thread: tweeter farther away from speaker?

500000watts is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

tweeter farther away from speaker?

aright so i been working on my boat install and i just got the compenents, i mounted the tweeter up on the dash and the speaker in the back. i had someone tell me that its not meant to be that way, i think it sounds really good though,

take a look at the bottom of this page and you can see my setup.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/m...tml?1150215355

GSteg is offline Custom User Title

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: tweeter farther away from speaker?

I have my mids in my doors and tweeters on the dash. Sounds great to me. Remember, not all frequencies are imaging frequencies. Some freq like 20khz are less directional than say 5khz. As long as you have the crossover point and slope worked out, it'll be fine. But in your case, if it sounds good, who cares what the other guys say.

Hello GSteg it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?

Gary S is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Usually, the main problem with mounting tweeters away from mids is that for any given listener, one tweeter is a different distance away from the listener in relation to the mid than the other... so, the left speaker system will have a different tonal quality than the right.

And it's impossible to fix... if you adjust the volume or time alignment on one side to suit the driver, it just makes the sound even worse for the passenger.

Other than that, there is no problem.

Added: when I say there is no problem, I mean tonally; imaging is a different story.... the image is going to move somewhere between the tweet and the mid depending on the frequency. Additionally, forget about having a proper front sound stage (might not be a huge deal to you in your boat)

Gary S is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In thinking more about it, I would probably just mount the tweeters in the back with/next to the mids... rear soundstage is better than no soundstage.

I would not mind listening to Eric Clapton play his guitar in my back seat... I would not kick him out of the car.

alphakenny1 is offline LOTUS FTW!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary S

I would not mind listening to Eric Clapton play his guitar in my back seat... I would not kick him out of the car.
    LOL. Nice.

Anyways, a general rule of thumb is to put the tweet as close to the mid as possible. but hey as you said, if it sounds good to you, who cares what someone else says. try the tweeter in different spots then choose the one you like the best.

W200/H701
    Dyn MW160/Lotus RM110/Seas Neo Alum/Idmax
    Alpine PDX

References
    RoudyruffKK, mattmcss, BLD 25, 02corvette
    bjfish11 ,slain93gsr, DJGTSR, flakko, FoxPro5
    2.2l integra, rawdogj, guy022077, bumpn_gt
    lowlinc, rocky 59, alann, ECA, DIYMA

bay area people need some custom work done? pm me. here's some work that we've done:
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/151662/1
    http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...man52/Install/
    http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=76937

Closed Thread