Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Is installing components different than Coaxial speakers?

SpunkyXL is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is installing components different than Coaxial speakers?

I have 2 amps, a sub, and Polk DB570 Coaxial speakers setup on my car. I was thinking of maybe down the road installing Components in the front. Is installing them the same as coaxial?

Prowler573 is offline R.I.P. Gossamer!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Is installing components different than Coaxial speakers?

Quote Originally Posted by SpunkyXL
    I have 2 amps, a sub, and Polk DB570 Coaxial speakers setup on my car. I was thinking of maybe down the road installing Components in the front. Is installing them the same as coaxial?
    Nope. A coaxial speaker gets mounted wherever it is going to be mounted and has speaker wires attach to it. /installation for those.

Component speakers (typically 2-way setups though there are exceptions) will have a separate tweeter, a separate midwoofer, and a passive crossover network that all has to be mounted somewhere.
    The passive crossover will have two sets of outputs....one for the tweeter and one for the midwoofer...and then one set of inputs.

So, coaxials = one item to mount and one set of speaker wires.
    Components (generally) = three things to mount and three sets of speaker wires

Refs: [CA.com] [eBay.com]

SirTrack is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree, installing components is totally different from installing coaxials. Depending on your purpose of installing them, you might be fine with the coaxials that you have now. Components can make the sound really nice, but you're going to have to pay for some nice ones. Otherwise, a good set of full-range speakers should suffice.

springy101 is offline village idiot/racist

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SpunkyXL
    how do you like those speakers? i am about to buy the 5.25" and 5x7" ones for my car.

I must follow in eugenics' footsteps, for he is great

Ref's: Ebay

VOA_NIGHTMARE, Blados, frankga2, allenzo, bamaboy x2, Crown_amps, violentrapture, adio x3, bumpin_blazer, fi car audio, haunther, sbcaprice305 x2

Closed Thread