Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Question about crossovers

technz is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Question about crossovers

Hi from NZ

Firstly please excuse this dumb question but I havn't had a lot to do with reasonably decent car audio in the past.

Anyway, can someone tell me if I need crossovers or does my amp have them. The instructions are interesting to say the least and talk about wiring high range speakers (are these tweeters). The head unit is a sony and I was simply able to plug the existing lume straight in. I have them taken the pair of wiring from a kit to a sub amp and then to a 10 inch sub in the boot.

I have now got a couple of tweeters and want to know if the amp, Sony XM504Z, has a built in crossover. It rambles on about the high range output which has it's own propriatary plug. Can I run the tweeters straight from here or do they get run in parallel with the mid range........HELP cause it's just down right confusing.

Again the amp model is a XM504Z.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Glen

thch is offline MSEE, Design Engineer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Question about crossovers

any filtering (crossover) the HU has would be applied to all speakers on the affected channels. eg, putting a highpass filter on the front channels would remove bass (and maybe midrange) from the front speakers.

thus even if the HU has a crossover option, it will not be useful.

the tweeters probably have inline "passive" crossovers that do the filtering.

some of the cheap peizo tweeters don't actually need crossovers or have them built in. i forget why, it was something i read. i don't use peizo tweeters, so i didn't commit it fully to memory.

the tweeters shouldn't be run off the subwoofer amp. the sub amp hopefully is using a lowpass filter. this filter removes vocals and trebel. thus the tweeters wouldn't be able to play anything.

what is "lume"? i've heard of "boot", but not lume.

-- Chris, M. Sci, Electrical Engineering

"Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, and permutations." -- job discription for senior engineer.

"imagine paying 25 cents less per gallon for 10 gallons. that's like saving $4." --fox news

AcidicDreams is offline I don't need one of these

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Question about crossovers

Quote Originally Posted by technz
    Hi from NZ

Firstly please excuse this dumb question but I havn't had a lot to do with reasonably decent car audio in the past.

Anyway, can someone tell me if I need crossovers or does my amp have them. The instructions are interesting to say the least and talk about wiring high range speakers (are these tweeters). The head unit is a sony and I was simply able to plug the existing lume straight in. I have them taken the pair of wiring from a kit to a sub amp and then to a 10 inch sub in the boot.

I have now got a couple of tweeters and want to know if the amp, Sony XM504Z, has a built in crossover. It rambles on about the high range output which has it's own propriatary plug. Can I run the tweeters straight from here or do they get run in parallel with the mid range........HELP cause it's just down right confusing.

Again the amp model is a XM504Z.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Glen
    well generally the amps crossovers are not sufficient to run a set of components... it needs to be able to set both a high and a low range for the midwoofer... the easiest way for you to accomplish an install would be to buy a set of component speakers that include passive crossovers....

If you are doing just a subwoofer you don't need a crossover... you can use either you head unit if capable or your amp to limit the frequencies that your sub receives...

Driving a 2003 Lexus GS430 and a 1996 Lexus LS400
    GS430 - Massive RK Tweets/Crossovers + Phass MW650 NEO Mids, JBL GTO 755.6 amp, IDQ12v2 in 1cu ft sealed substage

Refs: CA.com - excelerater, fosgate140, 99StangGt, desertheat, Frito, digital mint, dkguitarist, BoominBeast (didn't scam me), Fast1one, shiipseki, newtitan, Scoobydoo, spudracer326, sr_se-r, redlinese-r, James Bang, tweet02, effenay, and Mike Dressure ::: ECA - BBOYSTEVIE, Need-SQ ::: DIYMA - macxx, Kuztimrodder (very happy), and azngotskills

Closed Thread