Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Seas Lotus Reference component set

Showrides is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Seas Lotus Reference component set

I am leaning towards those speakers. Let me know what you all think of them. I haven't had any experiance and don't want to pay $700 for something that won't outperform something in the $200-500 price range. I am open to any ideas at the moment. So throw out some other great choices.

Ben

alphakenny1 is offline LOTUS FTW!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Seas Lotus Reference component set

i have the seas lotus performance mid with the seas lotus reference tweeter. i must say this is probably one of the best sets i have ever listened to. i'm going to upgrade the mids to the references pretty soon hopefully so i can probably give you some real insight on the lotus references.

as for the tweeters, i have the aluminum version and these tweets can play extremely low. i have them crossed at 1.6khz @ 24db/oct. w/ the mids crossed at 1.25khz @ 12db/oct. the tweets do not show any harshness at all even at high volumes. the top end extension isn't as good as the lpg 25nfa but the top end isn't a slouch either. very natural and smooth. if you got the cash, i don't think there's a set that can beat it. nothing around that price range imo, touches the lotus'.

W200/H701
    Dyn MW160/Lotus RM110/Seas Neo Alum/Idmax
    Alpine PDX

References
    RoudyruffKK, mattmcss, BLD 25, 02corvette
    bjfish11 ,slain93gsr, DJGTSR, flakko, FoxPro5
    2.2l integra, rawdogj, guy022077, bumpn_gt
    lowlinc, rocky 59, alann, ECA, DIYMA

bay area people need some custom work done? pm me. here's some work that we've done:
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/151662/1
    http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...man52/Install/
    http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=76937

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

still deciding if i want to spend that much though on speakers. It would be nice to get something close to as good in the $300 range. I have never been a big fan of anything that played above 100 hz anyways haha. Not to mention I doubt a lot of the people who listen to my setup won't be able to tell the difference between $300 components and $700 ones. Basically just looking for something that will impress people, but they don't have to sound amazing to an audio guru.

And thanks for the review so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well if why don't you go active? there are plenty of great mids and tweeters that can be had for under $200 and still sound awesome.

it looks like you got an hu to do so. the dayton reference series has gotten great reviews and is known as the best bang for the buck speaker. its only roughly $31 for the 7" mid. also look into one the most popular diy combos out there which is the lpg 25nfa and seas ca18rnx which can be had for under $200.

also yes though the lotus reference set is a lot of money. i myself wouldn't spend $700 on the set myself. i'm getting it nowhere near $700 .

W200/H701
    Alpine PDX

References

bay area people need some custom work done? pm me. here's some work that we've done:

Pyro_By_Nature is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You're not even buying it for your own enjoyment?That's ****ing sad........

Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction. - Bob Marley
    2005 Subaru WRX
    1990 Honda CRX Si

Refs.: NHustlar, t00p, Kenny Pollock, vitveet, defj., mendon99, trevor87, saltyreefguy, willster, Iammurph, Dimensions684, kungfoojesus, karleon, bonestock, highhorsepwr, digital_ripper04, scottie johnson, stevew007, slammed, joshs98runner, PBateman, Sakura, duece212, mtx11, dirtye30, queball, audioarsonal, KHARPS. Not including box designs.

azngotskills is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

quick thread jack dont be mad.....what are the model numbers of the mid and tweet if running active?

2000 Toyota Celica

***under construction***

References:
    6spdcoupe / belunt / SPL140.2 / Loud3 / JoeHemi57 / Megalomaniac / gordos420 / Remus33 / nVRuckus / alann / jdrockafella / gundecker / brypink / QTRHORSE / boostdfoci / foreman / Duke / James Bang / 00maxima / stuckinok / Benilson09 / jester6435 / BLD 25 / jacka / datboiroy / jorginho / bk12321 / meh / OldOneEye ....more to come

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by azngotskills
    quick thread jack dont be mad.....what are the model numbers of the mid and tweet if running active?
    well there's two lines of the lotus line: reference and performance. you can buy the mids and tweeters separately at mobilesq.com and then run them actively.

W200/H701
    Alpine PDX

References

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer Man
    You're not even buying it for your own enjoyment?That's ****ing sad........
    I am not a speaker GURU when it comes to anything other than subs. So I want something I will enjoy, but don't want to spend $700 when I will barely be able to tell the difference than if I spent $300. Of course I am going to enjoy it haha.

Jaredl is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Showrides
    I am not a speaker GURU when it comes to anything other than subs. So I want something I will enjoy, but don't want to spend $700 when I will barely be able to tell the difference than if I spent $300. Of course I am going to enjoy it haha.
    If you don't have a really trained ear, I'd just get some cheaper components. I don't know what comp set can compare to the Seas in the price range, but if you won't really notice a difference you should just get some $300 comps. I agree that most people who sit in your car will notice absolutely no difference between the speakers, or for that matter care.

spudracer326 is offline has a bastard system

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i think some rainbow pro fi's would be nice....

FoxPro5 is offline Causal wanderer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Showrides
    So I want something I will enjoy, but don't want to spend $700 when I will barely be able to tell the difference than if I spent $300. Of course I am going to enjoy it haha.
    Why did you post the thread in the fist place if you don't want to spend $700+ for some of the BEST drivers on the market today. Do you really expect $300 speakers to equal the performance of $700 ones. How bout a $30,000 car vs a $70,000 car?

Define 'enjoy'

I can tell the difference between a $300 set vs a $700 set and therefore it's worth it. If you can't that's fine....BB or CC has plenty of options for you bro!!

BTW, I'm drunk so if this is offensive to you...blame it on Arthur Guinness

TEAM Front Fill

The Fox audiomobile now sounds more quality thanks to SDS power.

The most expensive solution is the one that doesn't do the job correctly. ~ Me

GSteg is offline Custom User Title

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Once you get into the higher price bracket, you get closer to the point of diminishing returns. Going from a $100 set to $200 can gain you 2x the SQ (just example here). Going from $350 to $700 though, may not get you 2x. The higher end you go, the more it's all about tuning.

I can't picture myself paying $700 for a lotus set, mainly because I dont like using passive crossovers when I have the ability to run active (which sounds nice btw ). If you just want a drop in set, the Lotus are not for you because there are so much potential in that speaker to just leave it in passive. Some of the better options out there are the Dynaudio 240, dls iridium 6.2, etc.

oh yea..IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO

Hello GSteg it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaredl
    If you don't have a really trained ear, I'd just get some cheaper components. I don't know what comp set can compare to the Seas in the price range, but if you won't really notice a difference you should just get some $300 comps. I agree that most people who sit in your car will notice absolutely no difference between the speakers, or for that matter care.
    That what I was worried about. I don't have a very trained ear when it comes to speakers, and I have read many places that people who don't have a ton of expierance with speakers won't even be able to tell the difference between $300, and $700 ones. I would have no problem at all getting the $700 ones, but if it would be for a slight gain over the $300 ones, and chances are I would barely notice it, then I don't think it is a smart decision.

And gsteg your answer was exactly what I was looking for. I have talked to people about the law of diminishing returns, and at the point I am at now, the speakers in the $300 price range probably make the most sense to me.

I did start off wanting those $700 ones, but that is probably too much to spend for someone like myself.

I will look into many of the speakers you guys said would be nice. For around $300 it sounds like I can get something very nice.

Thanks,

Ben

Jaredl is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You can definitely train your ears, but it takes time and should be done on a home setup rather than in a car. I definitely wouldn't run the metal cone Seas active if you don't have much experience, as they'll need to be EQed.

Colin+M is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have the Lotus Ref. component set, its an amazing sounding set. The best that I have heard. I am soon going active with it though to fully exploit their potential. As its been said before, if you want to make your e-***** larger...don't waste your money on the Seas. None of your friends will know what you are talking about. Just get some JL Audio or Focal. Also the Seas deserve better than to be drowned out by bass.

Bottom line, I think you'd be wasting your money. There is nothing wrong with that and I'm not trying to be mean, you just have different priorities than I do. I have a total of $200 in my sub/amp. I could care less about ground shaking bass, so buying a W7/XXX/Brahma/SI Mag etc would be wasteful.

Quote Originally Posted by MarwanBaki
    And what on earth is a subwoofer box and how crucial is it(wondering since the first shop didnt even mention it).
    Cheers

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast