Closed Thread

Reload Thread: should I run rears?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

should I run rears?

I'm running a 2 way front setup with active crossover. The tweeters are plenty loud but I would like some more midrange/bass. Don't bother posting to tell me to sound deaden my doors/use door pods/make kicks. It has all been considered, anything plausible has been done (dad owns my car).
    My amp is rated to 220@2 ohms and i'm running it at 8 ohms on both the mids and the tweets because I couldn't find lower ohm drivers for cheap. I have been thinking of running another set of mids in the rear off my amp in parallel to increase my bass and midrange. Is this a good idea or will it sound like crap? If this will sound like crap can someone point me in the direction of some lower ohm drivers that will handle more power?
    I have 2 Seas CA18 7" treated paper cone speakers currently.

cam2Xrunner is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: should I run rears?

What amp are you using? What are the crossover points you are using?

Chevyaudio is offline :poof:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dont add rear Fill.

Savstyle is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thisisausername
    I'm running a 2 way front setup with active crossover. The tweeters are plenty loud but I would like some more midrange/bass. Don't bother posting to tell me to sound deaden my doors/use door pods/make kicks. It has all been considered, anything plausible has been done (dad owns my car).
    My amp is rated to 220@2 ohms and i'm running it at 8 ohms on both the mids and the tweets because I couldn't find lower ohm drivers for cheap. I have been thinking of running another set of mids in the rear off my amp in parallel to increase my bass and midrange. Is this a good idea or will it sound like crap? If this will sound like crap can someone point me in the direction of some lower ohm drivers that will handle more power?
    I have 2 Seas CA18 7" treated paper cone speakers currently.
    You said you didnt wana hear but there it is man, you add rear fill its going to change your sounds quite a bit and IMHO it would be a waste of money. Maybe try finding some new mids? Or running more power to the ones you have now?

They Call Me DARKNESS

Gamertag: Savstyle

alphakenny1 is offline LOTUS FTW!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i'm sorry but i'm going against your post and say if you haven't deadened your door, do it. it will significantly increase the midbass output if done correctly.

W200/H701
    Dyn MW160/Lotus RM110/Seas Neo Alum/Idmax
    Alpine PDX

References
    RoudyruffKK, mattmcss, BLD 25, 02corvette
    bjfish11 ,slain93gsr, DJGTSR, flakko, FoxPro5
    2.2l integra, rawdogj, guy022077, bumpn_gt
    lowlinc, rocky 59, alann, ECA, DIYMA

bay area people need some custom work done? pm me. here's some work that we've done:
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/151662/1
    http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...man52/Install/
    http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=76937

thisisausername is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

running a hifonics TX8805 4 channel 220 rms x 4 at 2 ohms. I don't know how I could run more power, I bought one of the biggest 4 channel amps I could find.

crossover is 80hz low and 2200 hz high. The speaker specs recommend minimum 35hz and maximum 2500hz crossovers.

I really can't deaden the door. I doubt I could even get deadening in through the very small holes in my door panels. The holes are on 23873 different planes so sealing them with any flat peice of plexiglass or mdf is also unrealistic. I also risk my dad walking in and giving me a "what the hell are you doing to this car" speech.

my two options are running rear fill or finding lower ohm mids.

my amp is already in the trunk and my drivers are 30 bux each, so it really isn't much investment to run rear fill. Hell, for 120 bux I could get another set of tweeters too and make velcro mounts for them on the rear dash. My only question is, will it sound like ****?.

I'm also open to a set of lower ohm mids if I can get them for a similiar price.

alphakenny1 is offline LOTUS FTW!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ic what are you saying. since it does 220 x 4 @ 2 then i'm assuming it does something like 55 x 4 @ 8 ohms. that should be enough to get those ca18's going man. as of right now i have them getting about 70 watts and they pound.

i'm guessing it has to be the doors aren't deadened thats making not hit at all. reasonance in a door kills the output of the speaker, in which this seems to be your case.

if you cannot get your dad to let you deaden your doors, then maybe try out the seas lotus performance mids. 4 ohmers and should hit nicely with about 110 watts to them.

W200/H701
    Dyn MW160/Lotus RM110/Seas Neo Alum/Idmax
    Alpine PDX

References
    RoudyruffKK, mattmcss, BLD 25, 02corvette
    bjfish11 ,slain93gsr, DJGTSR, flakko, FoxPro5
    2.2l integra, rawdogj, guy022077, bumpn_gt
    lowlinc, rocky 59, alann, ECA, DIYMA

bay area people need some custom work done? pm me. here's some work that we've done:
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/151662/1
    http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...man52/Install/
    http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=76937

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    would these be an upgrade or a downgrade?
    http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?pid=1391 are these any good?

does anyone know of some other 4 ohm 7" speakers under $60 each?
    right now it's really quite pathetic. My new speakers make less bass than the stock BOSE system.
    is rear fill really that evil? $60 worth of drivers to double my power output is oh so tempting.

SATX210 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i have a nice set of Crossfire 6.5" midbass drivers i was going to use in my last car. i never got around to using them. they handle 100rms and are a beefy mid with great midbass. i compare them to the older kicker impulse mids. they really kick. i would let them go for 85shipped. never powered them. i used another set in the car before and i was very impressed thats why i got these. i can try to get pics. let me know man. pm me.
    its the MB6 model. first one on the BMF section. this is their high end midbass http://www.crossfirecaraudio.com/frameset.asp
    you can actually run these sealed or ported and they will really pick things up for you in the midbass region you are lacking

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the power specs on these seem much better for my amp. I'm very interested. I should have the money within a few weeks, let me think it over first though. Do you have any references and how do you want to arrange payment? paypal maybe?

is there a problem with running 2 sets of speakers at different resistance ratings? I would like to keep my SEAS ca18's if possible, they sound very good just not as loud as I would like.

would the bass be much better from these? the SEAS speakers I have are 7" and these are 6.5"

ssj2xxgotenxx is offline The Chan Man

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thisisausername
    I really can't deaden the door. I doubt I could even get deadening in through the very small holes in my door panels. The holes are on 23873 different planes so sealing them with any flat peice of plexiglass or mdf is also unrealistic. I also risk my dad walking in and giving me a "what the hell are you doing to this car" speech.
    Take the door panels off and deaden them, and do it @ a friends house =) What he doesn't know can't hurt him. My pops is always giving me a hard time w/ car audio stuff, but I do it anyways.

Loserpunk [Buyer]

Kevokrook77 [Buyer] x2
    HCCAfan [Buyer]
    PRIVATEpastry [Seller]
    Trevor87 [Seller]
    Manosteel916 [Buyer]
    Vosschs [Buyer]
    jaberocs [Buyer]
    6spdcoupe [Buyer]
    Klepto [Seller]
    XxSuperAdamxX [Seller]
    kpozr2 [Buyer]