Closed Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Reload Thread: Rainbow SLC?

  1. #1
    cpalcott's Avatar
    cpalcott is offline Junior Member



    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Rainbow SLC?

    Hello. I am a first time poster, long time lurker who is looking for some components. As you can see from my signature, I am in desperate need of your help. My current setup sounds like complete and utter crap. I think this has a lot to do with the fact that the doors have no deadening (that will change with new speaker install). I don't think Polks are considered to be bad speakers, but my god those tweets are ripping a hole through my head.

    I have done some listening (Diamond, JL, Memphis). Didn’t do much for me. Anyway, after doing a ton of searches on every car audio forum I could find, I came to the conclusion that Rainbow seems to be one of the few speaker companies that hardly ever gets a negative review. The SLCs have gotten good reviews here and I am thinking they would fit my budget. Is there any way to get the most recent lineup online here in the states? I know there are some Rainbow dealers on this forum. Would you mind PMing me some prices and procedures?

    Is my Orion 4004 bridged going to be enough to push the Rainbows? Thanks for your help!



    2002 Saturn SL1 Sedan
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    Orion 600D (600 watts @ 1 ohm)
    IDQ12 D2.V2 (sub)
    Q-Logic QLH-1.0012SS (1.0 cft)
    Alpine PDX 100.4 (speaker power)
    Precision Power 356CS Comps
    Zune 120GB w/ Soundgate LOD/Charger




  2. #2
    flakko's Avatar
    flakko is offline Veteran (my butt)



    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    So Cal
    Age
    28
    Posts
    10,477
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Rainbow SLC?

    rainbows need onlay around 70w to get goin, and 90 to really shine.

    the IDQ is a really nice SQ sub, how big is that enclosure?

    also get a new sub amp i beg you.




    1998 Acura TL 3.2L
    Crappy Sansui DVD player
    Stock Speakers
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Hi ladies, my name is Wo-Hen Nankan"

    "I like you. You have balls. I like balls."

  3. #3
    Raven's Avatar
    Raven is offline Lacking social skills!



    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    4,618
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Rainbow SLC?

    SLCs don't really take any power at all to work. I run them. They are indeed an awesome component set.

    Also, like Flakko said, look into a new sub amp. Monoblock Class Ds are cheap and efficient power for subwoofers. Try Directed or Viper for some cheap clean power.




  4. #4
    flakko's Avatar
    flakko is offline Veteran (my butt)



    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    So Cal
    Age
    28
    Posts
    10,477
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Rainbow SLC?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raven
    Also, like Flakko said, look into a new sub amp. Monoblock Class Ds are cheap and efficient power for subwoofers. Try Directed or Viper for some cheap power.
    edit that... "cheap power" lol




    1998 Acura TL 3.2L
    Crappy Sansui DVD player
    Stock Speakers
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Hi ladies, my name is Wo-Hen Nankan"

    "I like you. You have balls. I like balls."

  5. #5
    goodrich's Avatar
    goodrich is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    orlando, fl
    Age
    45
    Posts
    393
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Rainbow SLC?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpalcott
    Hello. I am a first time poster, long time lurker who is looking for some components. As you can see from my signature, I am in desperate need of your help. My current setup sounds like complete and utter crap. I think this has a lot to do with the fact that the doors have no deadening (that will change with new speaker install). I don't think Polks are considered to be bad speakers, but my god those tweets are ripping a hole through my head.

    I have done some listening (Diamond, JL, Memphis). Didn’t do much for me. Anyway, after doing a ton of searches on every car audio forum I could find, I came to the conclusion that Rainbow seems to be one of the few speaker companies that hardly ever gets a negative review. The SLCs have gotten good reviews here and I am thinking they would fit my budget. Is there any way to get the most recent lineup online here in the states? I know there are some Rainbow dealers on this forum. Would you mind PMing me some prices and procedures?

    Is my Orion 4004 bridged going to be enough to push the Rainbows? Thanks for your help!

    talk to 6spdcoupe, Don is a great guy to work with...very knowlegable.



    2013 Nissan 370Z GM 6MT
    Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS
    ID CTX65CS
    Alpine PDX‑V9
    Alpine SWR-T10
    Wicked Magic Box
    35sqft Dynamat

    Iraggi Alt (for sale)
    (2) Sound Splinter 12" RL-P's (for sale)

  6. #6
    cpalcott's Avatar
    cpalcott is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Rainbow SLC?

    Thanks for the replies. I figured I would take it on the chin for the lightning. I bought this amp years ago for my first setup and I thought I might be able to get away with it because IDQs are known to function well on mid to low power. But the combination is not working. Bass is flopping all over the place and I have to use the juice boost just to get it moving. I will be replacing the amp soon. How much power would make this sub shine? I would need an efficient amp because I have a feeling my alternator won't take too much.

    The box dimensions are: Type 1 sealed enclosure • width: 15-3/4" • height: 14-3/8" • bottom depth: 16-1/2" • top depth: 11-1/2" • Vol=1.0. At least according to ID this should be a good match for this sub. It's in the trunk facing the back of the back seats.



    2002 Saturn SL1 Sedan
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    Orion 600D (600 watts @ 1 ohm)
    IDQ12 D2.V2 (sub)
    Q-Logic QLH-1.0012SS (1.0 cft)
    Alpine PDX 100.4 (speaker power)
    Precision Power 356CS Comps
    Zune 120GB w/ Soundgate LOD/Charger

  7. #7
    goodrich's Avatar
    goodrich is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    orlando, fl
    Age
    45
    Posts
    393
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Rainbow SLC?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpalcott
    Thanks for the replies. I figured I would take it on the chin for the lightning. I bought this amp years ago for my first setup and I thought I might be able to get away with it because IDQs are known to function well on mid to low power. But the combination is not working. Bass is flopping all over the place and I have to use the juice boost just to get it moving. I will be replacing the amp soon. How much power would make this sub shine? I would need an efficient amp because I have a feeling my alternator won't take too much.

    The box dimensions are: Type 1 sealed enclosure • width: 15-3/4" • height: 14-3/8" • bottom depth: 16-1/2" • top depth: 11-1/2" • Vol=1.0. At least according to ID this should be a good match for this sub. It's in the trunk facing the back of the back seats.

    Class D Mono will be the most efficient bet



    2013 Nissan 370Z GM 6MT
    Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS
    ID CTX65CS
    Alpine PDX‑V9
    Alpine SWR-T10
    Wicked Magic Box
    35sqft Dynamat

    Iraggi Alt (for sale)
    (2) Sound Splinter 12" RL-P's (for sale)

Closed Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Rainbow SLC vs DLS MS6 vs AA Arco's
    By AcidicDreams in forum Speakers
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-02-2006, 02:43 PM
  2. rainbow SLC vs ologys
    By thadman in forum Speakers
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 10-30-2005, 07:28 PM
  3. What tweets match the rainbow slc xovers
    By chinny in forum Speakers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-09-2005, 12:57 AM
  4. CDT EF vs. Rainbow SLC 265
    By title&registrat in forum Speakers
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-28-2005, 07:31 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-31-2005, 02:45 PM

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum