Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Help with components......

CELLERBR is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Help with components......

Ok I have sold my CDT HD 62CF 's (the carbon fiber set released about 1.5-2yrs ago only out for a short time). I am looking for ab upgrade, something that won't have any trouble keeping up with my 13W7 (in a Dual chamber tri vent enclosure 27hz tuning on the primary chamber and 39hz on the second chamber with 1200wrms+). I have about 200wrms to work with or I could also do 100wrms to the comps and 100wrms to a set of midbass (would like to stay away from this setup if possible). Anyhow I am willing to do custom kicks or custom door pods (this is what I had my CDT's in).
    Requirements:
    Excellent SQ
    Powerfull midbass
    clear mids and highs
    need to be pretty loud.
    Budget: Less then $500 ( the cheaper the better)

Some I have been looking at:
    ID Chameleons CSX6
    RE XXX
    Arc Audio ACS265 (from FoxPro5 here)
    Adire audio Koda 6.1

I know most of these wont take 200wrms but it is hard to find comps that will.

Also I wouldnt mind running a setup with horns, however it will require some more learning on my part....

Thanks in advance,
    Ian

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Help with components......

These are what I would really like to have, However i have no clue where to get them or how much they would be.
    http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/prod...=cs1&type=horn

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CELLERBR
    These are what I would really like to have, However i have no clue where to get them or how much they would be.
    http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/prod...=cs1&type=horn
    To my knowledge, those sets are no longer being sold.

You could, however, pick up a pair of CD1Pro's, add a midbass to them and go active. That would provide exactly the type of sound you are looking for. Get those horns going balls to the wall and that W7 wouldn't be able to keep up with them

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

As far as regular component systems go, the Boston Acoustics Pro series and Beyma would be good options for high output, good sounding component sets.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squeak9798

You could, however, pick up a pair of CD1Pro's, add a midbass to them and go active. That would provide exactly the type of sound you are looking for. Get those horns going balls to the wall and that W7 wouldn't be able to keep up with them
    That is what I would like to do...However I dont know all that much about active setups. In most basic form, I assume that I would have my horns, midbass and an active crossover on each crossed over to whatever frequency I desire.....By going active ti does seem as if I can achieve exactly what I am looking for easily. I just need to read up some more on setting up a quality active setup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

In most basic form, I assume that I would have my horns, midbass and an active crossover on each crossed over to whatever frequency I desire.....
    Not sure I understand what you are saying....you would have one active crossover, that goes before the amplifiers.

You have 4 channels of amplification, correct?

Also, using horns would would be well suited to use some form of equalization aswell.....just to forewarn you

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Not sure I understand what you are saying....you would have one active crossover, that goes before the amplifiers.

You have 4 channels of amplification, correct?

Also, using horns would would be well suited to use some form of equalization aswell.....just to forewarn you
    Yes I have a 4 channel amp Orion 8004 100wrms x 4 @ 4 ohms. So I have 1 pair of horns say high passed at 1000hz low pass ? I have a set of mids High passed @ 1200hz? and low passed at say 50ish hz..So horns and mids both to the crossover. then does the crossover go to 2 or 4 channels of the amp? This is where learning more would help LOL I am currently searching here and caf about active setups but not a whole lot of luck..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Icon14 Re: Help with components......

So I have 1 pair of horns say high passed at 1000hz low pass ? I have a set of mids High passed @ 1200hz? and low passed at say 50ish hz..
    I think you have some terminology mixed up.

You would have the horns highpassed around 1000hz. You would not lowpass them.

Mids would be lowpassed around 800-1000hz and highpassed around 50-80hz. This is called a bandpass filter...both highpassing and lowpassing a speaker.

So horns and mids both to the crossover. then does the crossover go to 2 or 4 channels of the amp?
    No, the active crossover goes before the amplfier. It's connected with the RCA's in between the HU and the amplifier. The crossover's RCA outputs are connected to the amplifiers RCA inputs.

The speakers (mids and horns) would be wired directly to the amplifier, one speaker on each channel.

GSteg is offline Custom User Title

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So I have 1 pair of horns say high passed at 1000hz low pass ?
    the crossover point for the horns will depend on the body. If you plan to go with image dynamics minihorns, then they are best crossed at around 1.2khz. It'll go lower, but you'll have to experiement. The full body horn will be able to extend down to 800hz no problem. You're going to have to play around with it. IIRC, you'll want a 4th order slope unless you plan to cross over the horns higher.

I have a set of mids High passed @ 1200hz? and low passed at say 50ish hz..So horns and mids both to the crossover. then does the crossover go to 2 or 4 channels of the amp?

You generally do not want the horns and mids to play the same frequency. You want to low pass the driver below what the horns are Highpassed at. The mids should be highpassed around 50-80hz or whatever sounds good to you.

The crossover goes to whatever channel that is driving the speaker. In your case, you'll want a 2-way external crossover that is able to bandpass on the mids. OR you can get a simple 2-way xover and use the amp's HP to HP the mids.

Hello GSteg it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?

GSteg is offline Custom User Title

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Dam beat me to it lol

Hello GSteg it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah I had a couple things worded backwards there.. And was incorrect about the crossover wiring (I learned this through my studies about 10 min ago....LOL) So things are clearing up. I believe I will have room for the full bodied horns. Any recommendations on some mids with nice strong midbass? Obviously this wil be a custom install so size and mounting depth isnt a huge issue here. Also say something like an audio control EQX it is an EQ and 2way x-over correct? Or something like their 2XS or even 4 XS? Also my HU is a premier 860. (13 band Graphic EQ built in although I am sure some external units will offer better equalization.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Any recommendations on some mids with nice strong midbass?
    Depends on your budget

Obviously this wil be a custom install so size and mounting depth isnt a huge issue here.
    Now when you say that, do you really really mean it?

Sort of like when people say "budget doesn't matter", then you recommend something decently expensive and they're like "Woah, I ain't spending that much!!"

Also my HU is a premier 860. (13 band Graphic EQ built in although I am sure some external units will offer better equalization.)
    Blah...then you don't even need to buy an active xover or EQ. That unit has everything built in that you need. In Pro Mode it has a 3-way active xover (highpass (for the horns), bandpass (for the mids), lowpass (for the sub)), and the EQ it has built in should be adequate.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Depends on your budget
    Depends on if I can find a good set of horns used or not....So to be safe say 250ish (maybe slightly more if you really think my HU would be a suffcient active crossover/EQ (i have seen some frown upon using built in))

Now when you say that, do you really really mean it?
    Yeah I really mean it LOL ( as long as you arent going to recommend like some 18" Full range PA driver LOL).. More then likely I will do kick panels. Thinking of door pods but I think kicks may be better.

Sort of like when people say "budget doesn't matter", then you recommend something decently expensive and they're like "Woah, I ain't spending that much!!"

Not the case..

Blah...then you don't even need to buy an active xover or EQ. That unit has everything built in that you need. In Pro Mode it has a 3-way active xover (highpass (for the horns), bandpass (for the mids), lowpass (for the sub)), and the EQ it has built in should be adequate.
    That would just make my day then B/c that would same some cash that can be put towards the mids/horns......

drzenitram is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Okay, now you MIGHT have been kidding, but... I cannot listen to my 15" RL-p on 800w at full tilt for more than a few(less than 5) minutes. That's low tones. I cannot begin to comprehend HIGHS that are louder than a 13w7. How can someone possibly listen to something like that without skull implosion?

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse 10th Anniversary
    HU: Kenwood MP-4028
    Subwoofer: Diamond M6MKII 10d2
    Sub Amp: Viper d1200.1
    Components: Rainbow 165SLX
    Comp. Amp: eD NiNe.2
    Components mounted into Q-Logic Q-forms
    Battery: Optima Redtop
    "Disk Changer": Creative Zen Vision:M 30gb Media Player

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drzenitram
    Okay, now you MIGHT have been kidding, but... I cannot listen to my 15" RL-p on 800w at full tilt for more than a few(less than 5) minutes. That's low tones. I cannot begin to comprehend HIGHS that are louder than a 13w7. How can someone possibly listen to something like that without skull implosion?
    No, I seriously wasn't kidding. It was a ******** remark, but I wasn't kidding.

Horns can reach some pretty insane output levels....enough to make you deaf pretty much instantly. Back before the SPL meters had filters on them, I know a guy that metered his horns in the throat and it was around 154db. Now, you have to realize that 154db @ 1khz+ is completely different than 154db in the subbass. 154db of 1khz+ would cause instant (and permanent) loss of hearing.

Now, obviously the key here is understanding the difference between what the speakers are capable of, and what you are actually going to use. When using horns that are 105db/w/m, it's only going to take a few watts to get them to loud listening levels. And this is all you will use in your system. You won't play them balls to the wall, reaching their full output capabilites. You'll only use what output you necessary.

But yeah...you definitely don't want to personally experience the full output potential of HLCD's

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast