Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Question

2Sicc is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Question

Alright I'm fairly new to buying speakers so I have some questions. When you buy a set of say...6X9's and it says they run at 100watts RMS, do they mean per speaker or both speakers, when in actuality they run at 50 watts a piece?

another thing, if I were to buy a component set by polk audio that includes a pair of 5 1/4 speakers and a pair of 1" tweeters and in the specs it says 100watts RMS. Would they mean per speaker or the full set?

Eldorado is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Question

Per pair

To the set. It goes to the crossover, it distributes it from there to the midwoofer and tweeter

Prowler573 is offline R.I.P. Gossamer!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 2Sicc
    Alright I'm fairly new to buying speakers so I have some questions. When you buy a set of say...6X9's and it says they run at 100watts RMS, do they mean per speaker or both speakers, when in actuality they run at 50 watts a piece?
    Per speaker - meaning if you had two channels of amplification that output 100w apiece (200w total) then it would be a great match for the speakers

another thing, if I were to buy a component set by polk audio that includes a pair of 5 1/4 speakers and a pair of 1" tweeters and in the specs it says 100watts RMS. Would they mean per speaker or the full set?
    It means 100w RMS per side. Output from the amplfier would be connected to the input on a passive crossover which will separate the highs from everything else and send the appropriate frequency bands to the correct drivers (highs to the tweeter and everything else to the midwoofer) So it can take the same power as the above example but the various drivers aren't all contained on the same frame and there's better filtering happening through the components' passive crossover than the poorer, cheaper to produce filtering mechanism on a coaxial speaker as well as (install dependant) potentially better imaging using components.

Refs: [CA.com] [eBay.com]

2Sicc is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Okay that's what I was hoping for. So do you think a profile 80watt X 4 amp would be fine for the inside speakers then? Also I hope the wattage of the speakers I chose will blend well.

Prowler573 is offline R.I.P. Gossamer!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 2Sicc
    Okay that's what I was hoping for. So do you think a profile 80watt X 4 amp would be fine for the inside speakers then? Also I hope the wattage of the speakers I chose will blend well.
    I think Profile makes a pretty solid amp for entry-level gear. Buying refurbs off of them factory-direct (see here) you almost cannot beat the pricing. If you buy them retail off of Crutchfield (see here) you can't beat the 3yr warranty.

I have owned Profile amps in the past and will recommend them to anyone needing decent amplification on a budget.

Good luck with it, bro!

Refs: [CA.com] [eBay.com]

Closed Thread