Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Crossover problems on Boston Z6

AllStar1500bd is offline Times have changed

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Crossover problems on Boston Z6

At first, I thought it may have been my wiring, but its not. I troubleshooted everything I could think of. I switched channels on my amp, changed speakers, changed and shortenend wiring significantly, fooled with the gains and EQ. I changed speakers on the crossover, and both speakers sound perfect on one of the crossovers, so the other one is to blame. I narrowed my problem down to one of the crossovers.

The problem is that one of my speakers has significantly more output than the other when they are both on identical settings (gains, crossover pt, and EQ settings). I placed them side by side next to my ears, and it was obvious that one was a lot louder than the other. I was thinking possibly a rain drop got into the crossover. I'm thinking, if anything, this is what happened.

Does anybody have any opinion on what I should do? I purchased them on eBay so I am not sure about a warranty. Has anybody ever dealt with Boston Acoustics customer service before? Any advice on other problems it could be?

Refs: CJ8501, msimon, bbb543, bigbirney420,ScoobyDoo, esco, LeofromtheH, 2000gator, aesoj, Toasted1, NMBR1SPT, j1b1e1, greenzx12 (2 RF HX2 15" subs) and many, many, many more on here, and on eBay

I MURDER THiEVES

(ie: you steal from me, I kill you). srsly.

Quote Originally Posted by KickerSoItBump View Post
    I vote conservative because that's where my morals are... I don't bleev in murdering babies unless its for food.

And there's alot of things I don't agree with on either side, thats why I just decide to stand where my morals are.

Sorry for being the typical white person.

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Crossover problems on Boston Z6

Have you had these installed for a while, and this is a new occurance? Or have they done this since straight out of the box?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squeak9798
    Have you had these installed for a while, and this is a new occurance? Or have they done this since straight out of the box?
    I was thinking they just recently started doing this when I gave them more power (275 watts vs 100 watts previous to this). However, I didn't notice the difference before because they were only getting 100 watts to each speaker, and I am 75% deaf in my left ear But the problem is the same whether the amp is bridged (275 watts per speaker) or I am running one speaker per channel (100 watts per speaker). The problem is just more obvious now that they are getting sufficient power.

Refs: CJ8501, msimon, bbb543, bigbirney420,ScoobyDoo, esco, LeofromtheH, 2000gator, aesoj, Toasted1, NMBR1SPT, j1b1e1, greenzx12 (2 RF HX2 15" subs) and many, many, many more on here, and on eBay

I MURDER THiEVES

I vote conservative because that's where my morals are... I don't bleev in murdering babies unless its for food.

And there's alot of things I don't agree with on either side, thats why I just decide to stand where my morals are.

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Grab a DMM, play a 60hz sine wave and then measure the voltage output at the amplifier's output terminals (both channels), and then measure the voltage on the output terminals of the crossover (for the mid, not the tweeter).

If there is significant difference in voltage between L & R at either the amp or the crossover, then you know where the problem is located.

FoxPro5 is offline Causal wanderer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Read this and then check those speakers

TEAM Front Fill

The Fox audiomobile now sounds more quality thanks to SDS power.

The most expensive solution is the one that doesn't do the job correctly. ~ Me

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squeak
    Grab a DMM, play a 60hz sine wave and then measure the voltage output at the amplifier's output terminals (both channels), and then measure the voltage on the output terminals of the crossover (for the mid, not the tweeter).

If there is significant difference in voltage between L & R at either the amp or the crossover, then you know where the problem is located.
    I was going to do this, but don't currently own a DMM I'm going to go pick one up in the next day or so and check this out.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxPro5
    Read this and then check those speakers
    Well, there is a serial number on one of the speakers that matches the box, but no serial number on either of the crossovers or the other speaker. I don't belive that was the seller that I bought the speakers from either.

I MURDER THiEVES

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Problem temporarily solved. I used the Z6's bi-amp feature to do so with my 4 channel amp, and it fixed the uneven sound. Maybe something was wrong with the internals of the crossover.

I MURDER THiEVES

Closed Thread