Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: 1 watt/ 1 Meter Thing...Hows it work? Using it, what are the LOUDEST 6.5 Speakers?

Starky is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 watt/ 1 Meter Thing...Hows it work? Using it, what are the LOUDEST 6.5 Speakers?

I never understood that 1 watt/1 Meter thing....Could someone explain it to me it Laymans Terms? Also, using that what are the Loudest 6.5 Speakers I can Buy? I have Boston Pro 6.4's I want something Louder (I have ~300+ watts to them)

PV Audio is offline The Vision of Sound

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: 1 watt/ 1 Meter Thing...Hows it work? Using it, what are the LOUDEST 6.5 Speakers?

measured from one meter away, a watt is fed to the speaker. the number is the maximum SPL possible from that. obviously speakers that have a higher number are more efficient.

correct me if i'm wrong.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: 1 watt/ 1 Meter Thing...Hows it work? Using it, what are the LOUDEST 6.5 Speakers?

Does anyone know the speaker(s) thats have the highest Ratio?

thadman is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Image Dynamics CD2 Horns 109dB 1w/1m I believe

Untouchable11 is offline Yellow Ledbetter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Weren't the ones that Feandil was designing pretty **** high?

References: Blados, sbacaprice305, Mr. Loki (3), trn
    sephiroth619, bobo244, kmart fan6, canadiancav, FRITO, HincklNutt, SSS 18734, nikosbuddy, Loud3, chaarlieee, negative3five, pwnt by pat, James Bang, bimma85

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

those are horns.... I cant fit those in my car (other wise i would get them) I need speakers 6 to 7 inch

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starky
    Does anyone know the speaker(s) thats have the highest Ratio?
    Pro Audio mids can have a sensitivity that approaches 100db @ 1w/1m.

However, almost all of those very high sensitivity mids will have very little low frequency extension because they are going to rely mainly on the enclosure to aid them in the low frequency output (by way of ported enclosures, horn loaded, transmission lines, etc). In car audio, with our limited space....this is VERY hard to accomplish. So, it's your choice if you want very high sensitivity with poor low frequency output (i.e. pretty bad midbass output), or moderate sensitivity speakers with good low frequency output (i.e. good midbass output).

Also, sensitivity alone is not going to tell you which will ultimately have the most output. It can give a "theoretical" limit of where the speaker should be output wise with a certain amount of power applied.....but that doesn't take real world affects into account such as power/Bl compression, power handling, etc etc.

So, it's a give and take. You can't base your entire decision off of a single spec...such as sensitivity, otherwise you are going to make a poor decision. And, frankly, applying ample power to even a moderate sensitivity speaker (88db 1w/1m) will provide more than adequate output.

If you have 300w per side (even 150w per side) and the Pro's don't have enough output for you....you're either deaf, or there is an issue with the installation or tuning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thadman
    Image Dynamics CD2 Horns 109dB 1w/1m I believe

Those aren't 6.5" speakers

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable11
    Weren't the ones that Feandil was designing pretty **** high?
    IIRC 93db....which isn't incredibly high, but is respectable and higher than most.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squeak9798
    Pro Audio mids can have a sensitivity that approaches 100db @ 1w/1m.

However, almost all of those very high sensitivity mids will have very little low frequency extension because they are going to rely mainly on the enclosure to aid them in the low frequency output (by way of ported enclosures, horn loaded, transmission lines, etc). In car audio, with our limited space....this is VERY hard to accomplish. So, it's your choice if you want very high sensitivity with poor low frequency output (i.e. pretty bad midbass output), or moderate sensitivity speakers with good low frequency output (i.e. good midbass output).

Also, sensitivity alone is not going to tell you which will ultimately have the most output. It can give a "theoretical" limit of where the speaker should be output wise with a certain amount of power applied.....but that doesn't take real world affects into account such as power/Bl compression, power handling, etc etc.

If you have 300w per side (even 150w per side) and the Pro's don't have enough output for you....you're either deaf, or there is an issue with the installation or tuning.
    So, it's a give and take. You can't base your entire decision off of a single spec...such as sensitivity, otherwise you are going to make a poor decision. And, frankly, applying ample power to even a moderate sensitivity speaker (88db 1w/1m) will provide more than ample output.

Well im no where close to deaf...And I dont see anything that could be wrong with my installation, They're hooked up to my Amp, and they're in Kicks, What could be possibly wrong? My friends system, CDT HD 62's and an MTX amp that puts out like 150x2 sounds louder then mine (I have an SUV he has a Car, would that matter much?)

Would the cone area matter alot? since boston 6.4 are only 6 inches long? I mean my speakers are Loud, but they're not as loud as I would like. The Gain is all setup so there is no Clipping (the amp has a clip meter)

Would z6's be louder?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starky
    Well im no where close to deaf...And I dont see anything that could be wrong with my installation, They're hooked up to my Amp, and they're in Kicks, What could be possibly wrong? My friends system, CDT HD 62's and an MTX amp that puts out like 150x2 sounds louder then mine (I have an SUV he has a Car, would that matter much?)

Would the cone area matter alot? since boston 6.4 are only 6 inches long? I mean my speakers are Loud, but they're not as loud as I would like. The Gain is all setup so there is no Clipping (the amp has a clip meter)

Would z6's be louder?
    What type of kicks? Q-logic? Custom made?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

custom made

btw, my friend has Kicks as well, I helped him make them (fyi)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Could be that they are not properly sized.

What's the internal volume of the kicks?

Are they strong enough?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They're strong enough, not sure on the size of them, Probably .7^3 ft

Tehgregzor is offline Enjoys loud noises.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

0.7 ? thats big! Sealed enclosures for a 8 or even 10 can be that big, (maybe a lil more) You probably need ALOT smaller kicks, IF that measurement is accurate. (i doubt it)

95 Trans Am Convertible
    LT1 Corvette Motor
    My brand new project. Literally the most stock system i've had since 16.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast