Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Reload Thread: 1 watt/ 1 Meter Thing...Hows it work? Using it, what are the LOUDEST 6.5 Speakers?

  1. #1
    Starky's Avatar
    Starky is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    1,407
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    1 watt/ 1 Meter Thing...Hows it work? Using it, what are the LOUDEST 6.5 Speakers?

    I never understood that 1 watt/1 Meter thing....Could someone explain it to me it Laymans Terms? Also, using that what are the Loudest 6.5 Speakers I can Buy? I have Boston Pro 6.4's I want something Louder (I have ~300+ watts to them)







  2. #2
    PV Audio's Avatar
    PV Audio is offline The Vision of Sound



    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Indy
    Age
    25
    Posts
    19,655
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 1 watt/ 1 Meter Thing...Hows it work? Using it, what are the LOUDEST 6.5 Speakers?

    measured from one meter away, a watt is fed to the speaker. the number is the maximum SPL possible from that. obviously speakers that have a higher number are more efficient.

    correct me if i'm wrong.




  3. #3
    Starky's Avatar
    Starky is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    1,407
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 1 watt/ 1 Meter Thing...Hows it work? Using it, what are the LOUDEST 6.5 Speakers?

    Does anyone know the speaker(s) thats have the highest Ratio?




  4. #4
    thadman's Avatar
    thadman is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,514
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 1 watt/ 1 Meter Thing...Hows it work? Using it, what are the LOUDEST 6.5 Speakers?

    Image Dynamics CD2 Horns 109dB 1w/1m I believe




  5. #5
    Untouchable11's Avatar
    Untouchable11 is offline Yellow Ledbetter



    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Central IL
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,622
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 1 watt/ 1 Meter Thing...Hows it work? Using it, what are the LOUDEST 6.5 Speakers?

    Weren't the ones that Feandil was designing pretty **** high?



    References: Blados, sbacaprice305, Mr. Loki (3), trn
    sephiroth619, bobo244, kmart fan6, canadiancav, FRITO, HincklNutt, SSS 18734, nikosbuddy, Loud3, chaarlieee, negative3five, pwnt by pat, James Bang, bimma85

  6. #6
    Starky's Avatar
    Starky is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    1,407
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 1 watt/ 1 Meter Thing...Hows it work? Using it, what are the LOUDEST 6.5 Speakers?

    those are horns.... I cant fit those in my car (other wise i would get them) I need speakers 6 to 7 inch




  7. #7
    squeak9798's Avatar
    squeak9798 is offline Banned



    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,300
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 1 watt/ 1 Meter Thing...Hows it work? Using it, what are the LOUDEST 6.5 Speakers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Starky
    Does anyone know the speaker(s) thats have the highest Ratio?
    Pro Audio mids can have a sensitivity that approaches 100db @ 1w/1m.

    However, almost all of those very high sensitivity mids will have very little low frequency extension because they are going to rely mainly on the enclosure to aid them in the low frequency output (by way of ported enclosures, horn loaded, transmission lines, etc). In car audio, with our limited space....this is VERY hard to accomplish. So, it's your choice if you want very high sensitivity with poor low frequency output (i.e. pretty bad midbass output), or moderate sensitivity speakers with good low frequency output (i.e. good midbass output).

    Also, sensitivity alone is not going to tell you which will ultimately have the most output. It can give a "theoretical" limit of where the speaker should be output wise with a certain amount of power applied.....but that doesn't take real world affects into account such as power/Bl compression, power handling, etc etc.


    So, it's a give and take. You can't base your entire decision off of a single spec...such as sensitivity, otherwise you are going to make a poor decision. And, frankly, applying ample power to even a moderate sensitivity speaker (88db 1w/1m) will provide more than adequate output.

    If you have 300w per side (even 150w per side) and the Pro's don't have enough output for you....you're either deaf, or there is an issue with the installation or tuning.




  8. #8
    squeak9798's Avatar
    squeak9798 is offline Banned



    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,300
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 1 watt/ 1 Meter Thing...Hows it work? Using it, what are the LOUDEST 6.5 Speakers?

    Quote Originally Posted by thadman
    Image Dynamics CD2 Horns 109dB 1w/1m I believe

    Those aren't 6.5" speakers




  9. #9
    squeak9798's Avatar
    squeak9798 is offline Banned



    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,300
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 1 watt/ 1 Meter Thing...Hows it work? Using it, what are the LOUDEST 6.5 Speakers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable11
    Weren't the ones that Feandil was designing pretty **** high?
    IIRC 93db....which isn't incredibly high, but is respectable and higher than most.




  10. #10
    Starky's Avatar
    Starky is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    1,407
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 1 watt/ 1 Meter Thing...Hows it work? Using it, what are the LOUDEST 6.5 Speakers?

    Quote Originally Posted by squeak9798
    Pro Audio mids can have a sensitivity that approaches 100db @ 1w/1m.

    However, almost all of those very high sensitivity mids will have very little low frequency extension because they are going to rely mainly on the enclosure to aid them in the low frequency output (by way of ported enclosures, horn loaded, transmission lines, etc). In car audio, with our limited space....this is VERY hard to accomplish. So, it's your choice if you want very high sensitivity with poor low frequency output (i.e. pretty bad midbass output), or moderate sensitivity speakers with good low frequency output (i.e. good midbass output).

    Also, sensitivity alone is not going to tell you which will ultimately have the most output. It can give a "theoretical" limit of where the speaker should be output wise with a certain amount of power applied.....but that doesn't take real world affects into account such as power/Bl compression, power handling, etc etc.

    If you have 300w per side (even 150w per side) and the Pro's don't have enough output for you....you're either deaf, or there is an issue with the installation or tuning.
    So, it's a give and take. You can't base your entire decision off of a single spec...such as sensitivity, otherwise you are going to make a poor decision. And, frankly, applying ample power to even a moderate sensitivity speaker (88db 1w/1m) will provide more than ample output.

    Well im no where close to deaf...And I dont see anything that could be wrong with my installation, They're hooked up to my Amp, and they're in Kicks, What could be possibly wrong? My friends system, CDT HD 62's and an MTX amp that puts out like 150x2 sounds louder then mine (I have an SUV he has a Car, would that matter much?)

    Would the cone area matter alot? since boston 6.4 are only 6 inches long? I mean my speakers are Loud, but they're not as loud as I would like. The Gain is all setup so there is no Clipping (the amp has a clip meter)

    Would z6's be louder?




  11. #11
    squeak9798's Avatar
    squeak9798 is offline Banned



    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,300
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 1 watt/ 1 Meter Thing...Hows it work? Using it, what are the LOUDEST 6.5 Speakers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Starky
    Well im no where close to deaf...And I dont see anything that could be wrong with my installation, They're hooked up to my Amp, and they're in Kicks, What could be possibly wrong? My friends system, CDT HD 62's and an MTX amp that puts out like 150x2 sounds louder then mine (I have an SUV he has a Car, would that matter much?)

    Would the cone area matter alot? since boston 6.4 are only 6 inches long? I mean my speakers are Loud, but they're not as loud as I would like. The Gain is all setup so there is no Clipping (the amp has a clip meter)

    Would z6's be louder?
    What type of kicks? Q-logic? Custom made?




  12. #12
    Starky's Avatar
    Starky is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    1,407
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 1 watt/ 1 Meter Thing...Hows it work? Using it, what are the LOUDEST 6.5 Speakers?

    custom made

    btw, my friend has Kicks as well, I helped him make them (fyi)




  13. #13
    squeak9798's Avatar
    squeak9798 is offline Banned



    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,300
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 1 watt/ 1 Meter Thing...Hows it work? Using it, what are the LOUDEST 6.5 Speakers?

    Could be that they are not properly sized.

    What's the internal volume of the kicks?

    Are they strong enough?




  14. #14
    Starky's Avatar
    Starky is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    1,407
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 1 watt/ 1 Meter Thing...Hows it work? Using it, what are the LOUDEST 6.5 Speakers?

    They're strong enough, not sure on the size of them, Probably .7^3 ft




  15. #15
    Tehgregzor's Avatar
    Tehgregzor is offline Enjoys loud noises.



    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Murray,KY
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,364
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 1 watt/ 1 Meter Thing...Hows it work? Using it, what are the LOUDEST 6.5 Speakers?

    0.7 ? thats big! Sealed enclosures for a 8 or even 10 can be that big, (maybe a lil more) You probably need ALOT smaller kicks, IF that measurement is accurate. (i doubt it)



    95 Trans Am Convertible
    LT1 Corvette Motor
    My brand new project. Literally the most stock system i've had since 16.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Speakers stopped, subs still work.
    By jersbo in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-24-2005, 04:28 PM
  2. Pioneer p3600--How to get the rear speakers to work???
    By preunnerv6 in forum Head Units
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-04-2004, 07:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum