Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Buying components and need opinions

drbrown is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Buying components and need opinions

I dont know what the higher end brands are other than maybe boston acoustics. Im not going for big spending here because Im not going to be pushing any kind of serious power. I found these on Ebay, yes I know ebay is the devil when it comes to electronics but everything I've ever bought I've had luck with. So I want some 6.5" & tweeters up front pushing around 50-70w. So on that note what do you guys think of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-BOSTON-FS60-...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/DIAMOND-AUDIO-D3...QQcmdZViewItem

Any recommendations?

alphakenny1 is offline LOTUS FTW!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Buying components and need opinions

If you are around that price range and if you could bump it up a lil bit, get the Rainbow SLCs. Solid set and can be had for $175 or so. Someone was selling their set for $150 on here a couple of weeks ago. I'd check that out.

W200/H701
    Dyn MW160/Lotus RM110/Seas Neo Alum/Idmax
    Alpine PDX

References
    RoudyruffKK, mattmcss, BLD 25, 02corvette
    bjfish11 ,slain93gsr, DJGTSR, flakko, FoxPro5
    2.2l integra, rawdogj, guy022077, bumpn_gt
    lowlinc, rocky 59, alann, ECA, DIYMA

bay area people need some custom work done? pm me. here's some work that we've done:
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/151662/1
    http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...man52/Install/
    http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=76937

RbAudio_Geek is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I bought me some Rainbows Sound lines and i love them

CAR Nissan 97 200sx
    HU Alpine CDA-9847
    FRONT SPEAKERS Rainbow SLC265 Component
    FRONT SPEAKER AMP Rockford 301S
    BACK SPEAKERS Looking
    BACK SPEAKER AMP Looking
    SUBS 2 Kicker S12L7's
    SUB AMP Rockford 1500BD
    SUB BOX 2.5cu.ft port box (each Sub)
    AMP WIRING 1/0

Ignatowski is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Crystal Mobil Sound

bikejunkie223 is offline Dls Wh0re

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The diamonds would be a good choice, but you may or may not like the alum. dome tweeter (bright) I love Dls stuff, but the up6's are about $350- though they absolutely rock.

Shop smart...Shop S-Mart... YOU GOT THAT!!!!!!!!

salsa shark....

Current Setup:
    Vehicle: 2004 Honda Civic Si
    Head: DEH 860MP
    Mid/High: Dls UP-6
    Subs: Dls Iridium 10
    Amp: Xtant 403a
    Other:Valentine 1 radar detector with remote display, Pioneer ipod controller, XM sat radio, Rear fill was determined to be a part of a communist plot to destroy our way of life and was henceforth banished from my car

audiolife is offline WhAt?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sony Mobile ES C-90 Audison Bit-One
    Audison LRx 3.1 MT
    Hertz HSK 130
    Mid Bass ?
    DB Drive K5 15
    Kinetik 1400HC
    avital 2200 alarm
    dynamat extreme

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So the harsher solid materials like aluminum are more crisp and "bright" with tweeters? Thats what I would assume judging by the way material acts to vibrations but what do I know heh.

I did some searching and couldnt find anything from rainbow, did the go out of business?? The components from Crystal look nice but Ive never heard a word mentioned about them. Im starting to think its not so much about which components I buy, its more of which amp I buy. I hate being a NEWB! Sooo much to learn.

audiolife is offline WhAt?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

where are the speakers going? are you going to deaden the the car? ........

Sony Mobile ES C-90 Audison Bit-One
    Audison LRx 3.1 MT
    Hertz HSK 130
    Mid Bass ?
    DB Drive K5 15
    Kinetik 1400HC
    avital 2200 alarm
    dynamat extreme

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Speakers absolutely matter. The best amp in the world will not make bad speakers good. typically hard dome tweeters are brighter than silk domes.

salsa shark....

Current Setup:
    Other:Valentine 1 radar detector with remote display, Pioneer ipod controller, XM sat radio, Rear fill was determined to be a part of a communist plot to destroy our way of life and was henceforth banished from my car

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

no, you need a solid amp that'll actually put out the power it rated at, but lots or amps do that, The speakers are very important, but you'd probably be satisfied with any of them.

The thing that matters more than anything is how you're going to install them... the aiming, where they a physically located and wether you sound deaden... these are probably the main things that will determine how they sound.

Caraudio.com - Where the average member couldn't wire a SPST toggle if they had to.

More proof.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_as View Post
    I need a program or something that will help me find mounting depth without having to build box and such...
    No, Andy, I'm sure the context is fine.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

To answer all the questions....

1) 6.5's will go in the door in the factory location (nowhere else to put them w/out glassing). And the tweets will be up higher around the mirror area in the door so I can get aimed more towards my ears.

2) As for sound deadening I dont know much, I should do a search for that. If it means stuffing the crap out of the doors and interior panels with insullation Im not going overbard. First reason being this car is more for SPEED than audio. BUT I have always loved music so Ive decided to compromise the weight a little to be able to enjoy my music for longer drives. I could do some mild stuffing if you think it would help.

3) I'm on a tight budget till after xmas so Im doing this slowly trying to plan what speakers to buy with what amps I can get ahold of. I currently have an ebay special SoundStorm 5-channel amp. 200x1(bridged) for the sub and 50x4 unbridged on the interiors. Right now the HU runs it all but that will change soon.

My expertise in installations is next to nothing other than the basic plug & play install. I have seen the small dynamat sheets you put down behind the actual speaker but I doubt that works that great. My car doesnt rattle YET but Im assuming we are talking about trapping the sound in the car. Its gonna be tough to get a probe to ever be air tight like that. You can push on the door windows and see air around them haha.

Dan Brown - 1995 Probe GT-Turbo
    Home Page | CarDomain | The Probe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

By sound deadening, all you need to do is apply sheets of dampener to the inside of the outer door skin, and then a large sheet to seal off the holes in the door, and dampen that metal. Then, make sure the speaker basket is sealed to the inside of the door panel with a spacer you build so all the sound is pumped into the cabin instead of getting lost between the speaker and door panel, and you are in good shape. Stuffing your doors with packing material and **** is retarded and unnecesary. The paint on goop isn't really required either, you just need some large sheets of dampener and a heat gun or very good hair drier.

salsa shark....

Current Setup:

acousticguitar is offline Law and Order

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Rainbow SLC's--i think they're nice and lots of others agree. german, hand-made speakers. the mids are fantastic--very strong, warm. the speakers overall are very accurate, don't color the music at all. competitors in Europe have won SQ trophies using the SLC's even though its more of an entry-level speaker.

definitely not out of business. Alumapro took over as their America distributor. It was Arc Audio. Nice speakers, they're at www.rainbow-car-audio.de I believe. Speedsound sells the SLC sets for nearly $300.

anyways, I recommend those. just fyi, i may be selling a pair of lightly used SLCs in the near future since I got my hands on some other incredibly nice speakers at a price I couldn't refuse.

References
    CA Forums: SecondSkinRep, DesertHeat, Twoohfour, Hellomota, 99StangGt, Ashaman, 95prober, Snb778, 318bavsporti, Iceteebone, Sundown1989
    Other: Radeon [SiN], Ibanezcollector [ECA], kepone [ECA], TN_Audiophile [ECA]
    eBay feedback: Taylorguitar [57 positive]

System
    Alpine CDA-9887
    Alpine MRV-F302 / Alpine PDX-1.600
    Focal 165KX Mistral / JBL GTO 5.2c / pair Rockford HE2 8" sealed

Crutchfield referral code: pvtxk-80tpx-ke4ws

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bikejunkie223
    By sound deadening, all you need to do is apply sheets of dampener to the inside of the outer door skin, and then a large sheet to seal off the holes in the door, and dampen that metal. Then, make sure the speaker basket is sealed to the inside of the door panel with a spacer you build so all the sound is pumped into the cabin instead of getting lost between the speaker and door panel, and you are in good shape. Stuffing your doors with packing material and **** is retarded and unnecesary. The paint on goop isn't really required either, you just need some large sheets of dampener and a heat gun or very good hair drier.
    Let me make sure I understand this... your saying that inner metal wall that the speaker mounts to should be dampenned with a set of whatever brand stuff I get. Then use a wooden "ring" and mold it to the oem mounting location so the speaker is pushed closer to the door panel and better aimed to fill the cabin. Correct so far? That would make sense to me I guess.

I will have to do some searching to see what dampner material/sheets are the cheapest.

As for buying Rainbows, they sound nice enough Im sure. But $300 is out of my price range. I probably wont have the more expensive high power amps either so no point in underpowering them.

Dan Brown - 1995 Probe GT-Turbo
    Home Page | CarDomain | The Probe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drbrown
    Let me make sure I understand this... your saying that inner metal wall that the speaker mounts to should be dampenned with a set of whatever brand stuff I get. Then use a wooden "ring" and mold it to the oem mounting location so the speaker is pushed closer to the door panel and better aimed to fill the cabin. Correct so far? That would make sense to me I guess.

I will have to do some searching to see what dampner material/sheets are the cheapest.

As for buying Rainbows, they sound nice enough Im sure. But $300 is out of my price range. I probably wont have the more expensive high power amps either so no point in underpowering them.
    You have the idea, you can use 3m strip caulking on the basket (outside of the surround) to seal it to the door panel. The good news for high end components is that a lot of them don't need massive power to sound good. My Dls UP6's would be about $300 from Tplaya07 (I think) and will sound incredible in a deadened door with 50 true watts (that's what mine get, and they def. don't need more power)

salsa shark....

Current Setup:

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast