Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Good bass w/o a sub?

WillyG4444 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good bass w/o a sub?

I have a 2002 nissan sentra and stock it comes with a set of 6.5 components up front and 2 6.5 2 ways in the rear. There is also this 6.5 inch sub in the rear deck that is free air. (I dont even know if it does much) My question is will I get good bass response from a 6.5 component set in the front and one in the back (I know I know, only do the fronts, but I'm definetly getting a set for the rear to for the passengers hehe)

I was thinking of getting MB Quart PCE series components or possibly focal polykevlar series.

Also, is there any 6.5 inch sub that I can put in my rear deck free air and still sound decent? I was wondering if the eu700 will do this for me. Thanks a lot for your help!

Intercooler is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Good bass w/o a sub?

Believe it or not the factory 6x9's in my Honda pounded pretty good with the Pioneer installed. Still no substitute for a sub though! If you can tolerate not having AS MUCH BASS as a sub I am sure you can do something. Look for something that plays down on the lower end. Can you fit a 8 in there?

2001 Honda Civic EX Coupe
    HU- Eclipse CD-5000
    F&R Amp- MB Quart Qaa4250 1000 Watt 4-Channel
    F- CDT HD52 5.25" With 1" Silk Tweets and M-6 6.5" Mids In The Doors(Three Way)
    R- CDT M-6's
    Sub Amp- Hifonics BXi2006D Brutus 2000 Watt D Mono
    Subs- (2) FI-Q 12" in a 1.26 Cu^Ft./Per Side Unported Box
    Battery- Kinetic 1400
    House- Samsung 4665F/Def Tech Mythos 8's/Dayton 15" Sub Kit/Onkyo 605/Harmony 890
    Refs: B-06stxf150, S-tmcilroy, B-lastcall

Alpineinstaller is offline <3 teh JnTar

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

get a 6 1/2 bazooka tube its cheap and ok for alittle bass.

XM-Alpine Adapter/Receiver For Sale - 750GB Ext. HDD For Sale

Offical Rep for Squeakco Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by squeak9798
    There's a new sub out called the Squeakinator. 125mm Xmax. 25" cone. Able to kill small animals and annoying children. Plays flat to 1hz in-car.
    $1,025 shipped to your door
    I think he should also consider the new Squeaksters.
    Nobody's heard them. They aren't in production yet. There is no prototype even available. But he should still consider them. They will rock. I promise.
    PS: The new Squeaksters will be a midwoofer addition to my subwoofer line, the Squeakinators

bri487 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alpineinstaller
    get a 6 1/2 bazooka tube its cheap and ok for alittle bass.
    i wouldnt even consider that plan. i have heard many cars with just two sets of components, amped of course, and they sounded **** good. but they are good comps with a good amp and good processing.

b0mbrman is offline il Don Baglione

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WillyG4444
    I have a 2002 nissan sentra and stock it comes with a set of 6.5 components up front and 2 6.5 2 ways in the rear. There is also this 6.5 inch sub in the rear deck that is free air. (I dont even know if it does much) My question is will I get good bass response from a 6.5 component set in the front and one in the back (I know I know, only do the fronts, but I'm definetly getting a set for the rear to for the passengers hehe)

I was thinking of getting MB Quart PCE series components or possibly focal polykevlar series.

Also, is there any 6.5 inch sub that I can put in my rear deck free air and still sound decent? I was wondering if the eu700 will do this for me. Thanks a lot for your help!
    If you don't care about your rear passengers that much and if you've got the space, you could try a meatier 6.5", low-passed in the low 100's.

Something like this - Link

BTW, are there any amps anywhere in this setup?

Contour SVT
    Empty hole > Empty holes

John Edwards

Alpineinstaller is offline <3 teh JnTar

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bri487
    i wouldnt even consider that plan. i have heard many cars with just two sets of components, amped of course, and they sounded **** good. but they are good comps with a good amp and good processing.
    I was just saying that because he didnt state a budget, high-end, low-end, etc... it was just a thought for some CHEAP thump.

XM-Alpine Adapter/Receiver For Sale - 750GB Ext. HDD For Sale

Offical Rep for Squeakco Inc.
    There's a new sub out called the Squeakinator. 125mm Xmax. 25" cone. Able to kill small animals and annoying children. Plays flat to 1hz in-car.
    $1,025 shipped to your door
    I think he should also consider the new Squeaksters.
    Nobody's heard them. They aren't in production yet. There is no prototype even available. But he should still consider them. They will rock. I promise.
    PS: The new Squeaksters will be a midwoofer addition to my subwoofer line, the Squeakinators

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, I'll definetly power the components with an amp. I'm confused about that though. Do I need a 4 channel for one set of components? So if I get two sets I'd need two 4 channels? Or does 1 tweeter and one midbass = 1 channel cause of the crossover? I dont get it. Are the focal polykevlars worth getting over the mb quart PCEs? Or are the utopias and the K2s the only worthy focal products that deliver clear highgs and real good midbass? And how would that 6.5 inch sub compare to an 6.5 inch eu700? Power specs are the same. Thanks again for the replies.

Prowler573 is offline R.I.P. Gossamer!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You won't need a 4-channel amp for a single set of components.

If you do end up with a two component-set setup (one set front, one set rear - and don't let the haters derail you from wanting that rear fill....I have two sets of components going and think it sounds juuuuust fine! ) then a single 4-channel amp will serve satisfactorily.

One midrange driver + one tweeter = a single amplifier channel needed to push them.

As for your inquiries about the brand comparisons I haven't any experience with any of those models so I cannot directly comment.

Refs: [CA.com] [eBay.com]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by b0mbrman
    If you don't care about your rear passengers that much and if you've got the space, you could try a meatier 6.5", low-passed in the low 100's.

Something like this - Link

BTW, are there any amps anywhere in this setup?
    That looks neat! Now you have me thinking about those for my truck! What size sealed box would they need? Anyone know what THE HARDEST HITTING bass 6.5 on the planet is?

HU- Eclipse CD-5000
    R- CDT M-6's
    Battery- Kinetic 1400
    House- Samsung 4665F/Def Tech Mythos 8's/Dayton 15" Sub Kit/Onkyo 605/Harmony 890

bri487 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

also for the best possible sound with components, i would highle reccomend some form of time alignment. especially if you are going to run rear speakers.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Would that woofer work free air into my rear deck? I don't want it to sound like crap but how would I make a box for it? Or should I just put it in my trunk with a box?

audioholic is offline Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Intercooler
    Anyone know what THE HARDEST HITTING bass 6.5 on the planet is?
    Probably the RE xxx or Adire Extremis take that crown, as I know of no other current 6.5 with 13mm xmax or more. Im installing some xxx's in my 4x4 right now that I plan on highpassing around 50hz, with no subwoofer installed. Im quite curious to see how it works out.

No speaker, in the history of speakers, has ever been blown by too little power. Ever. I don't care what your friend told you, he's a dirty liar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic
    Probably the RE xxx or Adire Extremis take that crown, as I know of no other current 6.5 with 13mm xmax or more. Im installing some xxx's in my 4x4 right now that I plan on highpassing around 50hz, with no subwoofer installed. Im quite curious to see how it works out.
    With the XXX they still don't have a X-over unless you come up with your own do they? I am grey on the XXX and how you would run it.

HU- Eclipse CD-5000
    R- CDT M-6's
    Battery- Kinetic 1400

bikejunkie223 is offline Dls Wh0re

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

sound deadening will make a huge difference too, right now I alternate my crossover point for my Dls Up6's between 63hz and 50hz depending on what I'm listeneing to, and they sound so good in well sealed/deadened doors I almost don't need a sub...but I got an Iridium 10 anyway, and it owns.

Shop smart...Shop S-Mart... YOU GOT THAT!!!!!!!!

salsa shark....

Current Setup:
    Vehicle: 2004 Honda Civic Si
    Head: DEH 860MP
    Mid/High: Dls UP-6
    Subs: Dls Iridium 10
    Amp: Xtant 403a
    Other:Valentine 1 radar detector with remote display, Pioneer ipod controller, XM sat radio, Rear fill was determined to be a part of a communist plot to destroy our way of life and was henceforth banished from my car

audioholic is offline Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Intercooler
    With the XXX they still don't have a X-over unless you come up with your own do they? I am grey on the XXX and how you would run it.
    No crossover. They've still not released a full xxx comp set including crossover and tweetr, just the raw mid. Id suggest running it with an active xo network in most situations.

No speaker, in the history of speakers, has ever been blown by too little power. Ever. I don't care what your friend told you, he's a dirty liar.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast