Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: What is this? A tweeter?

Roasted is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What is this? A tweeter?

I haven't messed with speakers that much, but there's a first time for everything.

I finally got my door panel apart, and this is what I found.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36...d/DSCN4570.jpg

Is that top part a tweeter? Now I'm confused on what to get assuming that's a tweeter... because I could get a nice 4 inch midbass type speaker thing in there and put a separate tweeter above it, couldn't I?

Black3SQ is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: What is this? A tweeter?

That looks like a tweeter to me. What kind of car is that? That's a goofy looking setup.

req
    req is offline am a mod.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yep. thats a nice big fat tweeter.

similar to this (but prolly not as good quality)

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....=usher#tweeter

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1993 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2 door coupe.

Yeah I thought the same thing. I took the door panel off and I was confused enough over going through this in the dark on my own, let alone finding a setup like that.

So now what? It appears like they are wired together. Does that mean if I amp them that I have to watch what I do? Meaning, if the tweeter I get can handle say 30 rms, but the 4x6 can handle 80, should I get a 110 watt amp to power them? Or would I have to go with the lower number, which would be 30, and not send anything over 30 watt RMS through those wires to the speakers?

I hope that makes sense...

So what do you folks think I should do now? Get a pair of 4x6 2 ways and some separate speakers?

adam71 is offline P9 = Ultimate SQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would just make a template out of mdf that matches the plastic housing and mount a 6.5 in there. Thats what I did in the door of my 97 Grand Am.

Source Unit: Pioneer P9 combo
    Tweeters: CDT DRT-25 Silk
    Mids: CDT ES-5 (5.25")
    Midbass: CDT M6 (6.5")
    Subs: Pioneer TS-W12PRS
    Mid & Tweet amp: Pioneer PRS-X340
    Midbass Amp: Pioneer PRS-X720
    Sub Amp: Pioneer PRS-X720

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by adam71
    I would just make a template out of mdf that matches the plastic housing and mount a 6.5 in there. Thats what I did in the door of my 97 Grand Am.
    Okay, help me out here...

Someone on another forum suggested I get 6.5s and tweets. Can I fit a tweeter in there next to a 6.5? I wasn't sure if I'd have enough room to mount them side by side, but I really don't wanna run the tweets anywhere else anyway... What kind of room did you have in the 97 GA?

adam71 is offline P9 = Ultimate SQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roasted
    Okay, help me out here...

Someone on another forum suggested I get 6.5s and tweets. Can I fit a tweeter in there next to a 6.5? I wasn't sure if I'd have enough room to mount them side by side, but I really don't wanna run the tweets anywhere else anyway... What kind of room did you have in the 97 GA?

Well, I mounted my tweeter in the kicks with my 4" midranges. My 6.5 was in the door by itself.

If you want to mount everything in the door location and be done with it you could always go with a nice set of 6.5" coaxes or CDT makes what are called Braxials. That way you could have full range in one location.

Source Unit: Pioneer P9 combo
    Tweeters: CDT DRT-25 Silk
    Mids: CDT ES-5 (5.25")
    Midbass: CDT M6 (6.5")
    Subs: Pioneer TS-W12PRS
    Mid & Tweet amp: Pioneer PRS-X340
    Midbass Amp: Pioneer PRS-X720
    Sub Amp: Pioneer PRS-X720

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 Re: What is this? A tweeter?

Quote Originally Posted by adam71
    Well, I mounted my tweeter in the kicks with my 4" midranges. My 6.5 was in the door by itself.

If you want to mount everything in the door location and be done with it you could always go with a nice set of 6.5" coaxes or CDT makes what are called Braxials. That way you could have full range in one location.
    Refresh my memory. A full component set will in the long run get you better sound, but coaxes are incredibly easier to install, so they're more common. Correct? If that's the case, I'll go with some coaxes... because I was happy with my stocks until they decided to start ringing.

Like these?

http://www.cdtaudio.com/braxialadvantages.htm

OlogyAudio is offline Audio-Ologist

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Refresh my memory. A full component set will in the long run get you better sound, but coaxes are incredibly easier to install, so they're more common. Correct? If that's the case, I'll go with some coaxes... because I was happy with my stocks until they decided to start ringing.

Like these?

http://www.cdtaudio.com/braxialadvantages.htm
    Well coax is easier to install than components -- however components are not any harder than those coax other than mounting the tweeter somewhere which is easy... the really crappy coax with say a 1st order filter are easy to wire up -- just inputs... don't have to worry about the outputs to the individual drivers... which is also very easy.

Components give you more options...

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=269-708
    Is more what the tweeter is by the way -- it in no way shape or form even comes close to comparing with that usher tweeter...

Dylan Matlow -- Ology Audio

-------------------------------------------------

Believe it or not That is a 6.5"

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OlogyAudio
    Well coax is easier to install than components -- however components are not any harder than those coax other than mounting the tweeter somewhere which is easy... the really crappy coax with say a 1st order filter are easy to wire up -- just inputs... don't have to worry about the outputs to the individual drivers... which is also very easy.

Components give you more options...

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=269-708
    Is more what the tweeter is by the way -- it in no way shape or form even comes close to comparing with that usher tweeter...
    I'm sorry, are you suggesting these tweeters to me? Just not sure what the purpose of the link was.

OlogyAudio is offline Audio-Ologist

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm sorry, are you suggesting these tweeters to me? Just not sure what the purpose of the link was.
    Just showing you what is in the door -- What kinda budget are you looking at for components and what are your goals (sq or just louder) and we can give you some advice... Components aren't hard to install -- If I could do it when I was in 10th grade...

Dylan Matlow -- Ology Audio

-------------------------------------------------

Believe it or not That is a 6.5"

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OlogyAudio
    Just showing you what is in the door -- What kinda budget are you looking at for components and what are your goals (sq or just louder) and we can give you some advice... Components aren't hard to install -- If I could do it when I was in 10th grade...
    lol. let me get back to you on price range in about an hour when I get my bonus check.

On a serious note, I don't want to spend more than 100. If for 125 I can get something insanely great compared to a 90 dollar set, then I'd do it...

I was happy with my stock speakers. I really just wanted to get rid of the ringing sound when the speakers had some midbass notes. They jingled like Santa was coming to town.

BUT... While I'm upgrading, why not get something pretty **** nice while I'm at it? That's why I'm in this coax vs components situation.

What it comes down to is how hard it is to build the proper housing for these things. Hell, I KNOW I can do it. But, I don't know how... Perhaps if I read up on some of this stuff, saw some detailed pictures, etc... I'd be more comfortable with saying "Hell yeah, I want that set of components."

Is there any how-to tutorials with pictures and whatnot about installing these things?

Also, I bet if I took the tweeter and 4x6 out I could easily fit a nice 6.5 in there. Wouldn't it be nice to get a 6.5 in there that has the tweeter already on it? (which I'm assuming is coax). Mostly because of space... I'd like to keep the "components" in that area in the picture as much as possible... I don't want to have to drill sh*t, build kickpods, deaden my doors, etc just to make a component set work properly.

I'm leaning more towards the coax's now. I actually really liked that yellow set of premiers someone posted. (can't remember if that was somewhere on these forums or on CAF though).

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds like you are definitely the type of person who would just be happy with a nice set of co-axials. I'd check out Boston Acoustics, Alpine, Pioneer REV series, Image Dynamics and MB Quart for great quality, yet reasonably priced co-axials.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squeak9798
    Sounds like you are definitely the type of person who would just be happy with a nice set of co-axials. I'd check out Boston Acoustics, Alpine, Pioneer REV series, Image Dynamics and MB Quart for great quality, yet reasonably priced co-axials.
    I assume I really can't go wrong with any of them?

BTW, is the Pioneer REV series also known as the Premiers? I remember someone telling me if I get Pioneer, get the yellow ones. *unsure*

Now, I can get a good set of 2-way coaxials that are 6.5 inch with the tweeter mounted in the center, right? Do I have to make a sealed chamber in the door for these sort of things?

How are these? 99 bucks.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=14553

Can 99 dollars get me anything better?

Thanks for ALL of the replies so far. I just got my bonus and ready to order. I just wanna make sure I know wtf I'm doing first... I mean, from the looks of my picture, I could definitely fit a 6x5 in there, couldn't I? The speaker itself is a 4x6, then the tweeter on top in that big fricken box thing... I would assume I could, but I haven't dealt with speaker sizing as much as some other folks here. Any opinions?

djman37 is offline SOLID

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I heard some of those pioneer premier coax's while looking for some for my sister, they sounded GREAT. Best sounding speakers CC had for less than the top end kicker comps.

Doug Blohm
    Team Southern Bass

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast