Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

how do these sound

i have a 93' saab. just wondering what you guys thought about these components and coaxials by focal. i am looking at the focal 165V2 6.5'' polyglass componets powered by a pg octane-r 8.0:4. and focal 165CA acces coaxials in the back powered by a pg octane-r 4.0:2. how do these sound, i know it not focal's or pg's top-of-the-line stuff but i hope it will sound good, what do u guys think. and how will the midbass sound shooting straight up into the windshield,will this be a problem.

OlogyAudio is offline Audio-Ologist

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: how do these sound

Quote Originally Posted by cooldudejz
    i have a 93' saab. just wondering what you guys thought about these components and coaxials by focal. i am looking at the focal 165V2 6.5'' polyglass components powered by a pg octane-r 8.0:4. and focal 165CA acces coaxials in the back powered by a pg octane-r 4.0:2. how do these sound, i know it not focal's or pg's top-of-the-line stuff but i hope it will sound good, what do u guys think. and how will the midbass sound shooting straight up into the windshield,will this be a problem.
    focal = harsh -- never listened to that PG unit though...
    You don't need anything in the rear (unless you want to feel surrounded by sound) -- Great sound quality only needs the front speakers... Reflected sound from a windshield can sound a little bright btw... again you don't need rears! -- if you are after SQ just fronts will do nicely...

There are lots of brands out there -- CDT Rainbow Boston Acoustics -- those would be better options than the focal IMHO unless you like a very bright/harsh sound...

A better option yet would be one of my custom component sets... I recommend you do a little reading of some of the reviews on my component sets... Send a PM if you are interested in more info.

Dylan Matlow -- Ology Audio

-------------------------------------------------

Believe it or not That is a 6.5"

analogkid is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OlogyAudio
    again you don't need rears! -- if you are after SQ just fronts will do nicely...

A better option yet would be one of my custom component sets... I recommend you do a little reading of some of the reviews on my component sets... Send a PM if you are interested in more info.
    custom parts express components? alot of people like to put rear speakers in because rear passengers like music too. but that is entirely your choice. as for the mid bass coming off the windshield....if you could i would say to put the midbass in the doors because most car speakers are IB oriented and most dashboards are not going to separate the front and back waves. midbass can suffer greatly that way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by analogkid
    custom parts express components? alot of people like to put rear speakers in because rear passengers like music too. but that is entirely your choice. as for the mid bass coming off the windshield....if you could i would say to put the midbass in the doors because most car speakers are IB oriented and most dashboards are not going to separate the front and back waves. midbass can suffer greatly that way.
    Passengers? who are they? -- yea if you value your passengers put some speakers in the back -- just remember you have a fader for when only you are present...

hrmn was he talkin about the front or rear windshield I wonder...

and yep custom component sets using available drivers be it partsexpress or madisound or wherever... saves people a lot of money -- or gives them a lot more quality for their money than what is available out there... no need to go active if you want a custom set now... -- much simpler and saves $$$

3.5Max6spd is offline yo mama no wear no draws

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OlogyAudio
    Passengers? who are they? -- yea if you value your passengers put some speakers in the back -- just remember you have a fader for when only you are present...

hrmn was he talkin about the front or rear windshield I wonder...

and yep custom component sets using available drivers be it partsexpress or madisound or wherever... saves people a lot of money -- or gives them a lot more quality for their money than what is available out there... no need to go active if you want a custom set now... -- much simpler and saves $$$
    i cannot say I ever liked spam, nasty stuff....

So basically your sets cost more than the drivers are currently available- yet you slap your good old custom passive on it...
    Isn't the point of going with a custom mix of drivers and going active is to be able to properly integrate the drivers in a vehicle? which differs from car to car? So in essence you are handicapping those drivers with a passive xover that may not be the best point to xover for some needs.....interesting...

rainbow....homemade sounds best
    DYNAUDIO E S O T E C....Mobile Fidelity

Panasonic Vacuum Tube
    TRU Technology SSLD6
    TRU Technology STEEL S44 & S500
    DYNAUDIO Esotec System 362
    Dynaudio MW190 12" (x2) IB
    Stinger Expert/Esoteric Audio Isopath/Cascade

Refs-NE14MX , jdavis37, anarchy57, mj121983 , ll kadoy ll, TheBigDu , cdj ,Kawasaki STX-R ,Fdeez ,Ksin291,meangta, lil azn 06, HAVINGFUN, Loud1500, Flipx99 , jjunior887 ,mastarecoil ,slammed , T3mpest ,westerbud, Airman21, bconn587, LexNBimmer,namike, alphakenny1, HebrewHammer,chadillac,remiserg, purerx7tt, OCURIEL, coneO,Igno,Iluvzmzm,godzukiduce,CrazedCat,skylar11 2,
    bose301s,qwertvt

flakko is offline Veteran (my butt)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

actually i heard the focal KP something series (the dude at the shop said they were going to replace the utopias) tweeters were very VERY nice.

1998 Acura TL 3.2L
    Crappy Sansui DVD player
    Stock Speakers
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Hi ladies, my name is Wo-Hen Nankan"

"I like you. You have balls. I like balls."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 3.5Max6spd
    i cannot say I ever liked spam, nasty stuff....

So basically your sets cost more than the drivers are currently available- yet you slap your good old custom passive on it...
    Isn't the point of going with a custom mix of drivers and going active is to be able to properly integrate the drivers in a vehicle? which differs from car to car? So in essence you are handicapping those drivers with a passive xover that may not be the best point to xover for some needs.....interesting...
    It is a hell of a lot better than the ready to buy component sets out there in the world... Infact for a mid/tweeter in a 3 way unless you use some well behaved (more expensive) drivers or use extensive EQ the active setup will end up being lower quality than a properly designed passive...

If you want a custom set feel free to be like I have this and this driver and these are my needs and these are my preferences please make me an appropriate passive network... I can do that too...

Or are you just saying I'm charging too much? Think about how many hours go into it -- and think about how much the ready to go component sets cost that are of equal quality to my sets...

The idea is to have ready to go component sets here within a month that I can sell directly to dealers and they can mark them up and they still be a better deal than the stuff you can find online... Helps out the small dealers out there as well as the average consumer.

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flakko
    actually i heard the focal KP something series (the dude at the shop said they were going to replace the utopias) tweeters were very VERY nice.

Probably the K2P series.

Closed Thread