Closed Thread

Reload Thread: What speakers will go well with a Panasonic CQ-C8301U

ryanbssc29 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What speakers will go well with a Panasonic CQ-C8301U

I was wondering what coaxial speakers would go well with a Panasonic CQ-C8301U hu? The specs on the hu are:
    CD / MP3 / WMA Playback

Removable Slide-Down Faceplate

Motorized Front Panel Disc Loading

Metal Finish Volume Knob

MOSFET High Power Amp (50W x 4 max)

SBC-SW (Super Bass Controlled Subwoofer) for Improved Soundstage Imaging

CD-R / CD-RW Compatibility

3DDM (3D Dot-Matrix) Display

High Resolution Graphics

Full-Motion Animation

Customizable Background Scenes

Upload Your Own Images from a CD-R

Download Pictures from Panasonic's Website

CD-Text and ID3 Tag Readout

Super Bright Blue Illumination with Dimmer

Multi-Mode Spectrum Analyzer

5V Front & Rear Preamp Outputs with High-Pass Filter

5V Subwoofer Preamp Output with Low-Pass Filter

7-Band Sound Quality (SQ7) Equalizer with Presets

Smoked Chrome Finish with Half-Mirror Display Window

Day & Night Design with Intense Backlight

3-Beam Hologram CD Pickup

One-Chip Digital Circuit

1-Bit Digital-To-Analog Converter

Multi-Stage Noise Shaping (MASH)

Digital Servo Optical Control

Track Scan, Search, Repeat, and Random Play

CD Changer Control

Blinking Security Light

Anti-Shock Floating Mechanism

Auto Loading Mechanism

18 FM /6 AM Presets and Preset Scan

Dual Auxiliary Inputs (one input takes the place of a disc changer)

Included Wireless Remote

Any help/suggestions will be apreciated. If nothing else reccomend some good brand names plz.

OlogyAudio is offline Audio-Ologist

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: What speakers will go well with a Panasonic CQ-C8301U

It is all about your tastes and how much you have to spend...

Dylan Matlow -- Ology Audio

-------------------------------------------------

Believe it or not That is a 6.5"

PhatTonyDeMarco is offline C0CK,its whats for dinner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You dont match speakers to the HU, you match speakers to what you can afford and what you are trying to acheive SQ/SPL wise...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think i prob want alot of sq since i have subs so im n no need spl. And my bad bout the cost i just forgot to include it i dont wanna spend over 200 for 4 of them, id prefer to keep it in the 150ish range but if i have to i can go up. any suggestions

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

bump

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryanbssc29
    bump
    you dont need to bump a thread that is on the top...

First 2 speakers is better for sound quality...
    Second 200ish is good -- 300 is much better there are tons of options -- My custom component sets would be the most flexible to your needs as well as the best value, but so far as retail goes:
    CDT, Rainbow, DLS, Boston Acoustics...... there are lots more... but those come to the mind first for the best value...

jacko is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think that you have a few options:

-Be on a strict budget and get ~$150 coaxails and run them off HU power.

-Spend $300 on comps/coax's w/ external crossover and run them off HU power

-Spend $150 on getting an amp/amp install kit & the $150 coax's, and have them sound the same, if not better/louder, than the $300 comps/good coax's on HU power.

-Ideally: Spend $300 on good comps AND $150 on an amp for them= $450(a little out of your budget maybe though)

SteelWheel is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There is an audio shop right there in Waveland that sells Diamond Audio and Memphis. Go by there and give those speakers a test drive. I think you would probably be happy with one of these brands.

I have not heard the DA coaxils, but the company seems to enjoy a good reputation and I would be surprised if the audio shop did not recommend them over the Memphis. It is certainly worth it to listen to them.

But listen to the Memphis as well. I know that Memphis has coaxils that have tweeters that can be "aimed" and I think they sound very good. They are probably a little cheaper as well.

Also, there is an audio shop in Slidell that sells Bostons in that price range. I have listened to them on the soundboard and they sounded good.

I don't know what kind of auto you have, but mounting depth may be a consideration. You probably want to get an idea of what your limitations are so that you don't spend any time considering speakers that do not fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hold up. I just noted that you said you wanted to buy 4 coaxils. I agree with the others ---- do NOT buy two sets of crappy speakers. Buy one set of decent speakers. You are not really going to be able to hear the rear set anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Go listen to Boston Acoustics Z6 -- if ya like that 'sound' the PL6 and PL7 have similar timbre just the midbass is a little more accurate and there is more detail in the midrange with the PL...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, something tells me he is going to like the sound of those $1,000 Z6's just fine. WTF??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelWheel
    Hold up. I just noted that you said you wanted to buy 4 coaxils. I agree with the others ---- do NOT buy two sets of crappy speakers. Buy one set of decent speakers. You are not really going to be able to hear the rear set anyway.

If he's running only HU power though, He'd be better off running a 4 speaker set. I also beleive that he would be able to hear the difference, otherwise I doubt decks would have faders as a mainstay. Some decks also have a front inmage enhancher also, which when turned on will turn turn on a LP crossover to the rear set, enhancing imaging while keeping solid bass with only speakers to work with. However if he plans on upgrading in the future my advice to him is to just start with crappi-er equip(entry level polk/infinity etc) to practice installing and see how things work, or just go all out and get a nice set of comps to run off HU power, and amp them later. But once he amps a pair of componets or nice coax's, he'll wonder how he ever went without an external amp on them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jacko
    If he's running only HU power though, He'd be better off running a 4 speaker set. I also beleive that he would be able to hear the difference, otherwise I doubt decks would have faders as a mainstay. Some decks also have a front inmage enhancher also, which when turned on will turn turn on a LP crossover to the rear set, enhancing imaging while keeping solid bass with only speakers to work with. However if he plans on upgrading in the future my advice to him is to just start with crappi-er equip(entry level polk/infinity etc) to practice installing and see how things work, or just go all out and get a nice set of comps to run off HU power, and amp them later. But once he amps a pair of componets or nice coax's, he'll wonder how he ever went without an external amp on them.

Going off of my personal experince, I can say without reservation that adding the rear speakers made VERY little difference. This is in a vehicle running off of HU power. About all it has done has added rear "fill", which is barely noticeable. I am certainly glad that I did not have to sacrifice the quality of my front speakers in order to be able to afford two sets, considering the fact that the rear speakers were really a waste of money. Granted this may be vehicle dependent, but that is my experience.

I know of at least one very good use for the front / rear fader. I fade all power to the rear occassionally just to make sure the rear speakers are still working.

I see absolutely no reason to waste money experimenting with crappy speakers.
    The cost savings between the speakers you are recommending (which are not that bad of speakers by the way) and most other coaxils that he would be looking at is not that great anyway.

Of course, this is assuming that he wants what he indicated, coaxil speakers.

Go with the best speakers you can reasonably afford up front. If you later feel that you need rear speakers, buy a cheaper pair for the back. At least this way you are certain to have front speakers that you can keep. If you go with the "buy four crappy speakers to experiment" route, you will end up with just that. Four crappy speakers. But, on the bright side, at least you will not be able to hear the rear crappy speakers.

So there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelWheel
    Going off of my personal experince, I can say without reservation that adding the rear speakers made VERY little difference. This is in a vehicle running off of HU power. About all it has done has added rear "fill", which is barely noticeable. I am certainly glad that I did not have to sacrifice the quality of my front speakers in order to be able to afford two sets, considering the fact that the rear speakers were really a waste of money. Granted this may be vehicle dependent, but that is my experience.

I know of at least one very good use for the front / rear fader. I fade all power to the rear occassionally just to make sure the rear speakers are still working.

I see absolutely no reason to waste money experimenting with crappy speakers.
    The cost savings between the speakers you are recommending (which are not that bad of speakers by the way) and most other coaxils that he would be looking at is not that great anyway.

Of course, this is assuming that he wants what he indicated, coaxil speakers.

Go with the best speakers you can reasonably afford up front. If you later feel that you need rear speakers, buy a cheaper pair for the back. At least this way you are certain to have front speakers that you can keep. If you go with the "buy four crappy speakers to experiment" route, you will end up with just that. Four crappy speakers. But, on the bright side, at least you will not be able to hear the rear crappy speakers.

So there.

"So there"- Lol gotta love it.

If the only reason you are using a rear fader is to be sure they are still working, you must not have a confident ear or be very confident in your installation. Also, I never directly said to buy crappy stuff... last time I checked most people didn't think of the polk db/infinity ref series that I used as examples as "crap". However, it isn't the brightest thing to do to go out and buy a set of infinty kappa's or polk momo's(just examples I know there are more speakers than that <-flame prevention) if you are going to be running them off of HU power forever, it'd be a waste of money IMO. Also, you can get very nice coaxils, they just use an external crossover, Diamond audio's sets are good examples, as well as some of Polks, and A-bahn coax's have simple eye candy external crossovers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jacko
    "So there"- Lol gotta love it.

If the only reason you are using a rear fader is to be sure they are still working, you must not have a confident ear or be very confident in your installation. Also, I never directly said to buy crappy stuff... last time I checked most people didn't think of the polk db/infinity ref series that I used as examples as "crap". However, it isn't the brightest thing to do to go out and buy a set of infinty kappa's or polk momo's(just examples I know there are more speakers than that <-flame prevention) if you are going to be running them off of HU power forever, it'd be a waste of money IMO. Also, you can get very nice coaxils, they just use an external crossover, Diamond audio's sets are good examples, as well as some of Polks, and A-bahn coax's have simple eye candy external crossovers.

Well I believe we are now in total aggrement. This young man should go down to his local audio shop that I know carries both DA and Memhpis coaxils, both of which have external crossovers (I am relying on my nemesis for the scoop on the DA crossovers).

This is what I recomended in my original post. In the future, I would request that once I post advice that no one else post questioning that advice. It only confuses the intended recipient.

In response to the fader / ear / install comment, my point is that the front speakers over power the rear speakers to the extent that the only way to be sure that the rear speakers are even pumping out any sound is to shut the front ones off. Now, if I fade all the way to the front and then add the rear back in I can tell some difference, but it is not significant.

BTW, please note that I never said that Infinity or Polk speakers were crap. In fact, I defended them, albeit half heartedly. They are just not my personal preference.

So, he can either go with the coaxils or, as others have suggested, the BA Z6's.

Thank you very nice.

Closed Thread