Closed Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Reload Thread: should i go active??

  1. #1
    iceteebone's Avatar
    iceteebone is offline Banned



    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    37,876
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    should i go active??

    i have a set of boston acoustic pro 6.5's and i'm gonna install them but i'm thinking of not using the crossover. my amp by the way is a PG titanium 500.4. i can do 250 watts x2 bridged. (little more because the set is 3 ohms) or 75 watts x 4. my headunit also has a 3-way crossover. i'm gonna be mounting the mids in the doors, and tweets in the A-pilars. i was thinking about running the mids off the rear channels and tweets off the front. which way would sound better and where should i set my crossover then for the mids and tweets?







  2. #2
    squeak9798's Avatar
    squeak9798 is offline Banned



    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,300
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: should i go active??

    I'd stick with the higher power and passive xover with the Pro's.




  3. #3
    Raven's Avatar
    Raven is offline Lacking social skills!



    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    4,618
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: should i go active??

    I'd try both. The only thing keeping me from trying a DIY comp setup is the need for a solid crossover network. If you already have one, go for it.




  4. #4
    JAZN's Avatar
    JAZN is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    SoCAL
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,370
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: should i go active??

    i'd stay passive in that case.




  5. #5
    SteelWheel's Avatar
    SteelWheel is offline Member



    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Hattiesburg
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: should i go active??

    Take a look at BA's website. I think I recall them STRONGLY advising against changing to an active crossover. They note that they have teams of engineers working on designing the system. And you sir, are a certified pimp, not an engineer.




  6. #6
    OlogyAudio's Avatar
    OlogyAudio is offline Audio-Ologist



    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Shepherdsville, KY
    Age
    28
    Posts
    765
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: should i go active??

    go passive... I'm not a pimp, I'm an engineer -- Just compared my components to the Boston Acoustic Z6 and blew them away... it was very satisfying!



    Dylan Matlow -- Ology Audio

    -------------------------------------------------

    Believe it or not That is a 6.5"

  7. #7
    3.5Max6spd's Avatar
    3.5Max6spd is offline yo mama no wear no draws



    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Dirty Jersey
    Age
    37
    Posts
    3,767
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: should i go active??

    Passive who????



    rainbow....homemade sounds best
    DYNAUDIO E S O T E C....Mobile Fidelity

    Panasonic Vacuum Tube
    TRU Technology SSLD6
    TRU Technology STEEL S44 & S500
    DYNAUDIO Esotec System 362
    Dynaudio MW190 12" (x2) IB
    Stinger Expert/Esoteric Audio Isopath/Cascade


    Refs-NE14MX , jdavis37, anarchy57, mj121983 , ll kadoy ll, TheBigDu , cdj ,Kawasaki STX-R ,Fdeez ,Ksin291,meangta, lil azn 06, HAVINGFUN, Loud1500, Flipx99 , jjunior887 ,mastarecoil ,slammed , T3mpest ,westerbud, Airman21, bconn587, LexNBimmer,namike, alphakenny1, HebrewHammer,chadillac,remiserg, purerx7tt, OCURIEL, coneO,Igno,Iluvzmzm,godzukiduce,CrazedCat,skylar11 2,
    bose301s,qwertvt

  8. #8
    Kali77's Avatar
    Kali77 is offline *Roots Radic*



    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    1,647
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: should i go active??

    Quote Originally Posted by OlogyAudio
    go passive... I'm not a pimp, I'm an engineer -- Just compared my components to the Boston Acoustic Z6 and blew them away... it was very satisfying!
    Nice. What are you running?



    LoSt

    2005 Honda Accord LX Sedan
    PPI A600.2 SOLD
    PPI A404 SOLD
    PPI A404.2 SOLD
    PPI A100 SOLD
    PPI DEQ-230 SOLD
    Coustic XM7 Crossover SOLD
    2 12" PPI Pro's
    Seas Excel w15cy001 5.5" SOLD
    Seas L18RNX/p SOLD
    LCY 130 Ribbons SOLD
    Clarion DRZ9255 SOLD
    Kinetik HC1400 SOLD
    100sqft SS Damplifier SOLD


    ALL FOR SALE http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=112867

    Wife's Ride
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    DLS 6.2 Iridium's
    JL 300/2
    Excelon 679
    60 sqft SS Damplifier
    1 gallon SS Sludge
    No subs

  9. #9
    OlogyAudio's Avatar
    OlogyAudio is offline Audio-Ologist



    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Shepherdsville, KY
    Age
    28
    Posts
    765
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: should i go active??

    Well I started a small business doing this -- So far a 2 way with the Dayton RS tweeter and dayton RS 6", a 2 way with the RS tweeter and RS 7", and a 2 way with the RS tweeter and a pair of RS 7" per side is going in my car (the time alignment is accounted for in my car though so it will sum flat within +- 1.5dB...... managed to have useable off axis response to 80 degrees off axis in my house....

    I have a 3 way using the 8" RS 6"RS and the dayton neo tweeter that is +-0.5dB on axis but the power response is less even than the RS 2ways... he will also have to watch his gains -- don't want a dead little neo tweeter even though it is $4.60 haha. He is still putting together the money for it though...

    Just started the business, only 2 people out in the world have them at the moment... they are my beta testers so to speak -- bought the prototypes for just a little over parts costs, all they have to do is take pictures and write reviews... Still looking for other people that would be interested though...

    My goal is to have quality component sets in local stores -- enabling them to be competitive with mainstream brands bought online. Shooting for about a $800 price in the stores (about $300 in costs -- allows 60% markup for the stores, and some for me -- and is still price competitive with online stores...) -- No authorized online sales... I'll be handling direct sales though when I get everything out of the prototype stage and when the PBCs are finialized and ordered (and I can make them in mass)

    I'll be stuck with the normal RS drivers for a little while until I get enough money to order up my own batches of drivers incorporating a few new ideas that I have... That’s what happens when you try to start a business with only a few thousand dollars and a ton of your time…



    Dylan Matlow -- Ology Audio

    -------------------------------------------------

    Believe it or not That is a 6.5"

  10. #10
    3.5Max6spd's Avatar
    3.5Max6spd is offline yo mama no wear no draws



    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Dirty Jersey
    Age
    37
    Posts
    3,767
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: should i go active??

    Quote Originally Posted by OlogyAudio
    Well I started a small business doing this -- So far a 2 way with the Dayton RS tweeter and dayton RS 6", a 2 way with the RS tweeter and RS 7", and a 2 way with the RS tweeter and a pair of RS 7" per side is going in my car (the time alignment is accounted for in my car though so it will sum flat within +- 1.5dB...... managed to have useable off axis response to 80 degrees off axis in my house....

    I have a 3 way using the 8" RS 6"RS and the dayton neo tweeter that is +-0.5dB on axis but the power response is less even than the RS 2ways... he will also have to watch his gains -- don't want a dead little neo tweeter even though it is $4.60 haha. He is still putting together the money for it though...

    Just started the business, only 2 people out in the world have them at the moment... they are my beta testers so to speak -- bought the prototypes for just a little over parts costs, all they have to do is take pictures and write reviews... Still looking for other people that would be interested though...

    My goal is to have quality component sets in local stores -- enabling them to be competitive with mainstream brands bought online. Shooting for about a $800 price in the stores (about $300 in costs -- allows 60% markup for the stores, and some for me -- and is still price competitive with online stores...) -- No authorized online sales... I'll be handling direct sales though when I get everything out of the prototype stage and when the PBCs are finialized and ordered (and I can make them in mass)

    I'll be stuck with the normal RS drivers for a little while until I get enough money to order up my own batches of drivers incorporating a few new ideas that I have... That’s what happens when you try to start a business with only a few thousand dollars and a ton of your time…
    cool...who's making your passives?



    rainbow....homemade sounds best
    DYNAUDIO E S O T E C....Mobile Fidelity

    Panasonic Vacuum Tube
    TRU Technology SSLD6
    TRU Technology STEEL S44 & S500
    DYNAUDIO Esotec System 362
    Dynaudio MW190 12" (x2) IB
    Stinger Expert/Esoteric Audio Isopath/Cascade


    Refs-NE14MX , jdavis37, anarchy57, mj121983 , ll kadoy ll, TheBigDu , cdj ,Kawasaki STX-R ,Fdeez ,Ksin291,meangta, lil azn 06, HAVINGFUN, Loud1500, Flipx99 , jjunior887 ,mastarecoil ,slammed , T3mpest ,westerbud, Airman21, bconn587, LexNBimmer,namike, alphakenny1, HebrewHammer,chadillac,remiserg, purerx7tt, OCURIEL, coneO,Igno,Iluvzmzm,godzukiduce,CrazedCat,skylar11 2,
    bose301s,qwertvt

  11. #11
    OlogyAudio's Avatar
    OlogyAudio is offline Audio-Ologist



    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Shepherdsville, KY
    Age
    28
    Posts
    765
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: should i go active??

    Quote Originally Posted by 3.5Max6spd
    cool...who's making your passives?
    I am LSPcad pro 6 + my brain + lots of time = sweet xovers...

    I'm shopping arround for a good deal on quality PCBs -- anyone have any suggestions? Possibly I should ask Chad (Owner of ascendant audio) whos going to be making his...



    Dylan Matlow -- Ology Audio

    -------------------------------------------------

    Believe it or not That is a 6.5"

  12. #12
    ngsm13's Avatar
    ngsm13 is offline BSEE



    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    35,730
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: should i go active??

    In your case, I'd stick with the passives...

    Quote Originally Posted by OlogyAudio
    I am LSPcad pro 6 + my brain + lots of time = sweet xovers...

    I'm shopping arround for a good deal on quality PCBs -- anyone have any suggestions? Possibly I should ask Chad (Owner of ascendant audio) whos going to be making his...
    And you're in Kentucky eh? I'm in Cincinnati, how far away are you? We should meet up sometime...I'd love to talk. Happen to have an RTA?

    NG




    http://crunktimes.com/ct/
    nG - BSEE

Closed Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Running tweeters off the head unit in an active setup
    By ScottGS400 in forum Head Units
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-05-2005, 10:26 PM
  2. Why use an active xover WHEN.... (little technical)
    By cappy72 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 05-27-2005, 11:23 AM
  3. Active, do you need to BP a 4"
    By Hernan in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-27-2005, 07:09 AM
  4. Some Qs about active setup
    By Hernan in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-01-2005, 03:31 AM
  5. Active HELP??
    By unclecomfort in forum Speakers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-07-2004, 12:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum