Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

fine tuning 9.4 and RE comps

Finally got the noise problem gone, so now its on to tuning.
    Of course, I know to leave the bass boost/loudness crap off, and from there Im lost. Is there any other general pointers anyone can give me? This is my first experience with front stage, and I want to do it right. Should I just play with the EQ until I like the sound? How about the microphone that came with the deck, is that helpful in tuning the system, or a waste of time?
    Deck is Pioneer 860, ED 9.4 comp amp, RE comps.

loserpunk is offline hapbahdasindot

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: fine tuning 9.4 and RE comps

i have the same h/u and front stage, but my comps are run active, i have 2 seperate amps on em

w/ the 860 you should be able to keep your gains all the way down

i'd stay STD mode on the 860 w/ the front output going from 80hz to 20khz, use the crossover on the h/u, and set the crossovers on the amp too, but set the amps hpf at 50ish(just for safety) this way if you want to set the comps at 63hz or w/e you don't have to change both the amp and h/u, just the h/u

if you have dual rca inputs on the 9.4, ditch the crossovers and go active, if not, don't fret, just keep the passives

zachzchw is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by loserpunk
    i have the same h/u and front stage, but my comps are run active, i have 2 seperate amps on em

w/ the 860 you should be able to keep your gains all the way down

i'd stay STD mode on the 860 w/ the front output going from 80hz to 20khz, use the crossover on the h/u, and set the crossovers on the amp too, but set the amps hpf at 50ish(just for safety) this way if you want to set the comps at 63hz or w/e you don't have to change both the amp and h/u, just the h/u

if you have dual rca inputs on the 9.4, ditch the crossovers and go active, if not, don't fret, just keep the passives

Yep, dual inputs. (A/B channel, C/D channel). What would I need, an RCA splitter?

zachzchw is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

After playing with it for a couple hours, it sounds completely horrible. MUCH MUCH worse than stock.......muddy as hell, distorted (gains are all the way down), bad enough that I disconnected the power wire when I went to run errands, and just listened to the factory rear speakers.

loserpunk is offline hapbahdasindot

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

well, it's up to you now, if you want to go active, or passive, if you want to go passive, use one set of RCA's to input ab on the amp, run the comps like normal, and use the xover on the 860

if you want active, (a little more flexibility, possiblility of changing xover slope and frez) send 2 RCA runs to the 9.4, use the high and mid outputs on the amp, ditch the passive xovers, set the 860 to NW mode from STD mode, use the 860 for all of your xovering and you should be set

if you go active, i'd suggest starting w/ a hpf of 80hz and lpf of 2500ish(don't remembe how close you can get w/ the 860 since i use 4000hz) for the mids, then use a hpf of the same 2500hz ish freq on your tweets, all w/ 24db/oct slopes and you should be getting fairly close to what you want to hear

audiolife is offline WhAt?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

muddy can be where the speakers are playing (how they are installed and where) coupled with the ground loop isolater makes for a bad time. check your baffles on the midrange/midbass

Closed Thread

User Tag List